Pietenpol-List: using J-3 type landing gear

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: using J-3 type landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Pietenpol discussion, Bill Rewey said in BPA news issue #58 " using J-3 type landing gearon a pietenpol results in the much weight on the tail wheel which causes anaft CG problem. Iam building a 1966 extended fuselage with a corvair engine and a three piece wing. I was going to use the J-3 type landing gear likebernard did back in 1966 to save time on building my project.I know that Bernard Pietenpol did have problems with this type of gear.He had them placed to far forward on his fuselage. Did Bernard Pietenpol fix the problem and find the J-3 landing gearan excellent type of gear for the pietenpol?________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: using J-3 type landing gear

Post by matronics »

PTNPOL wrote:> > Pietenpol discussion,> > Bill Rewey said in BPA news issue #58 " using J-3 type landing gear> on a pietenpol results in the much weight on the tail wheel which causes an> aft CG problem.> > Iam building a 1966 extended fuselage with a corvair engine and> a three piece wing. I was going to use the J-3 type landing gear like> bernard did back in 1966 to save time on building my project.> I know that Bernard Pietenpol did have problems with this type of gear.> He had them placed to far forward on his fuselage.> > Did Bernard Pietenpol fix the problem and find the J-3 landing gear> an excellent type of gear for the pietenpol?> Actually Ron, I think they were placed too far aft. Not by the pick-up points on thefuse though. I know when Jack Watson and I were fixturing my gear, weplaced the wheel axel forward about 8" (need to measure to be sure). Youneed to do some preliminary weight and balance for your particularneeds. For instance where are you going to place your battery? How heavydid your construction actually come out to? Once you know this you canmake your fixture to weld it up. Make sure your fuselage pivot pointsare in-line, this will keep the stress off the pivot when it needs torotate. Use a 1/4 ' rod through the holes while welding to keep itin-line. Tac the complete side of the gear first before welding itcomplete, and move your torch to different welding spots to keep theheat from distorting the structure. Are you intending to use bungees orsprings. Both Jack and I used Urethane pucks which we had made up for$30.00 per foot. We chose duro #90. I have to be honest though I haven'tflown yet and the duro number may be too hard. I'll have to wait andsee.Hope this helps you.Domenic________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Re: using J-3 type landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: PTNPOL
DomDominic, ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Re: using J-3 type landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: flyer(at)clas.net
Domenic, Thanks for the reply. I still have a few questions about the J-3 typegear. You said that I should do a preliminary weight and balance. Canyou provide more detail about this? I thought that you did the weight and balance after you had your wings,engine, and everything else installed.I was wondering how they placed the gear without the wings and enginebeing built first. I think alot of people are having alot of problems with the placing of their gear.>you asked me if I was going to use springs are bungees. I am planning on using springs. I hear bungees are a pain. I saw your name in the BPAnews. It looks like your well on your way to completing your project. Istill have a long way to go ............ My tail section is complete and Ihaveall the wing ribs complete. I am going start my fuselage in one week:)I am currently finishing up the remodeling of my kitchen.Thanks again for the help. I appreciate the information.Sincerely,-=Ron Lebfrom=-________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
PTNPOL wrote:> > Domenic,> > Thanks for the reply. I still have a few questions about the J-3 type> gear. You said that I should do a preliminary weight and balance. Can> you provide more detail about this? I thought that you did the weight and> balance after you had your wings,engine, and everything else installed.> I was wondering how they placed the gear without the wings and engine> being built first. I think alot of people are having alot of problems with> the placing of their gear.> > >you asked me if I was going to use springs are bungees. I am planning> on using springs. I hear bungees are a pain. I saw your name in the BPA> news. It looks like your well on your way to completing your project. I> still have a long way to go ............ My tail section is complete and I> have> all the wing ribs complete. I am going start my fuselage in one week:)> I am currently finishing up the remodeling of my kitchen.> Thanks again for the help. I appreciate the information.> > Sincerely,> -=Ron Lebfrom=-Hi Ron, You are correct. you normally do the weight and balance at theend, unless you are deviating from the plans. And of course If you aregoing to have brakes. I think I mentioned that I may have moved mine 8"forward. Thius is incorrect I think it's more like 5". The idea ofmoving it forward is to keep the tail down when applying brakes.Somewhere I have made a drawing for what I did. I'll try and find it.Dom.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Domenico Bellissimo
Hi Dom, If you can find the drawing, I also would be interested in what youdid. There is a jig for making the gear in one of the issues of the BPNewsthat I have marked for reference. Memory says that it moved the axle 4inches forward from the original. Let me know if you want me to find thereference.Best regards,-=Ian=-
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > Domenico Bellissimo
Ian Holland wrote:> > Hi Dom, If you can find the drawing, I also would be interested in what you> did. There is a jig for making the gear in one of the issues of the BPNews> that I have marked for reference. Memory says that it moved the axle 4> inches forward from the original. Let me know if you want me to find the> reference.> Best regards,> -=Ian=-> > ----------
matronics

> Re: using J-3 type landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Domenico Bellissimo
> > PTNPOL wrote:> > > > Domenic,> > > > Thanks for the reply. I still have a few questions about the J-3type> > gear. You said that I should do a preliminary weight and balance. Can> > you provide more detail about this? I thought that you did the weightand> > balance after you had your wings,engine, and everything else installed.> > I was wondering how they placed the gear without the wings and engine> > being built first. I think alot of people are having alot of problemswith> > the placing of their gear.> > > > >you asked me if I was going to use springs are bungees. I am planning> > on using springs. I hear bungees are a pain. I saw your name in theBPA> > news. It looks like your well on your way to completing your project.I> > still have a long way to go ............ My tail section is completeand I> > have> > all the wing ribs complete. I am going start my fuselage in one week:)> > I am currently finishing up the remodeling of my kitchen.> > Thanks again for the help. I appreciate the information.> > > > Sincerely,> > -=Ron Lebfrom=-> Hi Ron, You are correct. you normally do the weight and balance at the> end, unless you are deviating from the plans. And of course If you are> going to have brakes. I think I mentioned that I may have moved mine 8"> forward. Thius is incorrect I think it's more like 5". The idea of> moving it forward is to keep the tail down when applying brakes.> Somewhere I have made a drawing for what I did. I'll try and find it.> > Dom.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> > Re: using J-3 type landing gear

Post by matronics »

> >> > PTNPOL wrote:> > >> > > Domenic,> > >> > > Thanks for the reply. I still have a few questions about the J-3> type> > > gear. You said that I should do a preliminary weight and balance. Can> > > you provide more detail about this? I thought that you did the weight> and> > > balance after you had your wings,engine, and everything else installed.> > > I was wondering how they placed the gear without the wings and engine> > > being built first. I think alot of people are having alot of problems> with> > > the placing of their gear.> > >> > > >you asked me if I was going to use springs are bungees. I am planning> > > on using springs. I hear bungees are a pain. I saw your name in the> BPA> > > news. It looks like your well on your way to completing your project.> I> > > still have a long way to go ............ My tail section is complete> and I> > > have> > > all the wing ribs complete. I am going start my fuselage in one week:)> > > I am currently finishing up the remodeling of my kitchen.> > > Thanks again for the help. I appreciate the information.> > >> > > Sincerely,> > > -=Ron Lebfrom=-> > Hi Ron, You are correct. you normally do the weight and balance at the> > end, unless you are deviating from the plans. And of course If you are> > going to have brakes. I think I mentioned that I may have moved mine 8"> > forward. Thius is incorrect I think it's more like 5". The idea of> > moving it forward is to keep the tail down when applying brakes.> > Somewhere I have made a drawing for what I did. I'll try and find it.> >> > Dom.Hi Ian,I'll try and find the drawing I have. I don't think it's complete by anymeans though. A friend was putting it on autocad for me. He did one part, which he reproduced for me, but the other parts were lost during ahard drive failure. I'm still going to try and get him to re-do the lostparts. Perhaps I'll get some pictures taken and then send them toRichard to post on his Homepage.Regards,Dom.regar________________________________________________________________________________