Pietenpol-List: Latex fabric finishing information.

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Latex fabric finishing information.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: rdecosta(at)autoeurope.com (Richard DeCosta)
I recall considerable discussion several months ago regarding the use oflatexpaints on fabric and cannot remember who was experimenting with thismethod.Also, I was off-line for about three months and have lost any info. I hadstored--except for some hard copy I made but cannot find in the chaos resultingfrom the moving process.Some day I will be recovering my Pietenpol and would appreciate any and allinformation I can get on the latex system. Thanks.Graham Hansen________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: Latex fabric finishing information.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: rdecosta(at)autoeurope.com (Richard DeCosta)
Graham,Stevee here. I painted with laytex. I have unfortunatly had my plane out in the weather all winter long since it went to the airport in October. I have to say that I am very satisfied so far. Even under snow and ice it is still doing fine. I even crack the ice of on good days and go flying. No problems so far. Not a rubbed glossy finish by any strech, but it fits the era of the airplane wonderfully.I'll tell ya this is one fun plane. I have people trying to "catch" me while I out on Saturdays to talk about the "Air Camper" on the ramp.Dad's and their sons have come out of the wood work because they see that it might be something they could tackle. It's great to share the dream with them. I just wish that I had enough hours flown off to give rides. I even get looks and waves from Bonanza and Commanche drivers, (secretly wishing they were flying like barnstormers instead of cross country commuters.) The most fun though are the rough leathered of pilots of ye ster-year. I've met a couple of sage old guys who have long since hung up their pilot wings. They see me pull up to the fuel depot and they get a glint in their eye. What ever they were doing or whatever they were talking about gets put on hold as they saunter over and say something like, "That looks like a Pietenpol. I remember when...."On Sunday, February 01, 1998 9:12 PM, Graham Hansen [SMTP:grhans@cable-lynx.net] wrote:> I recall considerable discussion several months ago regarding the use of> latex> paints on fabric and cannot remember who was experimenting with this> method.> Also, I was off-line for about three months and have lost any info. I had> stored--> except for some hard copy I made but cannot find in the chaos resulting> from> the moving process.> Some day I will be recovering my Pietenpol and would appreciate any and all> information I can get on the latex system. Thanks.>> Graham Hansen________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Latex fabric finishing information.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Sury
> Great stories Stevee!!! Thanks for sharing them with us. Keeps me going.Warren________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: Latex fabric finishing information.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
Do tell more. I am interested in hearing the whole story of the processyou used using latex. Iv'e heard of people using it but never any details.Sound like it would be a little cheaper than poly-brush and the family ofpolys.jas>Graham,>>Stevee here. I painted with laytex. I have unfortunatly had my plane out >in the weather all winter long since it went to the airport in October. I >have to say that I am very satisfied so far. Even under snow and ice it is >still doing fine. I even crack the ice of on good days and go flying. No >problems so far. Not a rubbed glossy finish by any strech, but it fits the >era of the airplane wonderfully.>>I'll tell ya this is one fun plane. I have people trying to "catch" me >while I out on Saturdays to talk about the "Air Camper" on the ramp.>Dad's and their sons have come out of the wood work because they see that >it might be something they could tackle. It's great to share the dream >with them. I just wish that I had enough hours flown off to give rides. I >even get looks and waves from Bonanza and Commanche drivers, (secretly >wishing they were flying like barnstormers instead of cross country >commuters.) The most fun though are the rough leathered of pilots of ye >ster-year. I've met a couple of sage old guys who have long since hung up >their pilot wings. They see me pull up to the fuel depot and they get a >glint in their eye. What ever they were doing or whatever they were >talking about gets put on hold as they saunter over and say something like, >"That looks like a Pietenpol. I remember when....">>>On Sunday, February 01, 1998 9:12 PM, Graham Hansen >[SMTP:grhans@cable-lynx.net] wrote:>> I recall considerable discussion several months ago regarding the use of>> latex>> paints on fabric and cannot remember who was experimenting with this>> method.>> Also, I was off-line for about three months and have lost any info. I had>> stored-->> except for some hard copy I made but cannot find in the chaos resulting>> from>> the moving process.>> Some day I will be recovering my Pietenpol and would appreciate any and >all>> information I can get on the latex system. Thanks.>>>> Graham Hansen>>jimsury(at)fbtc.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Latex fabric finishing information.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Steve Eldredge
Steve,When it is possible to do so, could you remember the procedureyou used on your covering... including precautions necessaryto avoid messing up the job? I'm sure there are others in the groupwho would also appreciate such information.Traditional dopes and such are becoming frightfully expensive and,let's face it, they are not very healthy materials to be working with.Latex, on the other hand, is a benign substance by comparison andshould be less expensive.As you pointed out, a high gloss finish is not necessary on an air-plane like a Pietenpol. Even a traditional doped finish does not have that "wet look" unless it is made up of many coats, hand-rubbed and waxed. And that much dope will likely cause distortion of alight structure through shrinkage of the cover. I think you are ontosomething, Steve.
matronics

> RE: Latex fabric finishing information.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Skinner
> > Graham,> > Stevee here. I painted with laytex. I have unfortunatly had my planeout > in the weather all winter long since it went to the airport in October. I > have to say that I am very satisfied so far. Even under snow and ice itis > still doing fine. I even crack the ice of on good days and go flying. No > problems so far. Not a rubbed glossy finish by any strech, but it fitsthe > era of the airplane wonderfully.Sounds interesting. Tell us more. Especially about UV protection.> I'll tell ya this is one fun plane. I have people trying to "catch" me > while I out on Saturdays to talk about the "Air Camper" on the ramp.> Dad's and their sons have come out of the wood work because they see that> it might be something they could tackle. It's great to share the dream > with them. I just wish that I had enough hours flown off to give rides. I > even get looks and waves from Bonanza and Commanche drivers, (secretly > wishing they were flying like barnstormers instead of cross country > commuters.) The most fun though are the rough leathered of pilots of ye > ster-year. I've met a couple of sage old guys who have long since hungup > their pilot wings. They see me pull up to the fuel depot and they get a > glint in their eye. What ever they were doing or whatever they were > talking about gets put on hold as they saunter over and say somethinglike, > "That looks like a Pietenpol. I remember when...."> Yep. I've been flying mine since 1970 and it is a great little sportplane. Darned good skiplane too, although it should have a canopy and heater for that sort of thing. Many thanks for the information. More! More! Graham> On Sunday, February 01, 1998 9:12 PM, Graham Hansen > [SMTP:grhans@cable-lynx.net] wrote:> > I recall considerable discussion several months ago regarding the useof> > latex> > paints on fabric and cannot remember who was experimenting with this> > method.> > Also, I was off-line for about three months and have lost any info. Ihad> > stored--> > except for some hard copy I made but cannot find in the chaos resulting> > from> > the moving process.> > Some day I will be recovering my Pietenpol and would appreciate any and> all> > information I can get on the latex system. Thanks.> >> > Graham Hansen________________________________________________________________________________