Pietenpol-List: Elevator thoughts

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Elevator thoughts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mikek(at)intex.net (Michael King)
Ted- You mentioned feeling like you might be running out ofelevator control in the flare. A few things came to mind......I was wondering what your empty weight might be, what distanceof elevator 'up' throw you have above neutral, and if you'veever calibrated your airspeed indicator by flying back and forthover some cross roads of a known distance w/ a stopwatch.When we had the 7AC Champ we found our airspeed was offand we were flying our approaches too slow. My partner/mechanicand all-round great guy Joe Tomasic put a small rubber grommetover the static line in front of those tiny holes. We kept movingthat grommet around slightly until the airspeed at cruise andapproach was just as good as we could get it and things mademore sense. One last thing: do you know what your CG is foryour most common loadings when flying ? All the best, Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Elevator thoughts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Richard F. Rapp"
Mike,No, I have never checked the ASI. But, heaven forbid that it is indicatingtoo fast. It only indicates 72 at level flight. I approach at 65 and thatseems to work. I will check the other numbers and get back to you.Hope all is well with you. We dodged another weather bullet last weekend.I am hoping to make it through this winter and get a hangar soon.Take care.Ted>Ted- and if you've>ever calibrated your airspeed indicator by flying back and forth>over some cross roads of a known distance w/ a stopwatch.>When we had the 7AC Champ we found our airspeed was off>and we were flying our approaches too slow.________________________________________________________________________________