Pietenpol-List: Hand Signals

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Hand Signals

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Does anyone know where I can get a pictorial refferance on hand signals thatpilots use to communicate with each other (without a radio),when flying information ? I'm sure this would be useful info for those who plan on flyinginto Oshkosh.Chuck GantzerWichita KSDon't forget: Pietenpol Fly-In at Benton on Sept. 11________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Hand Signals

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Conkling
Chuck: years ago I bought a small handbook on formation flying from (Ibelieve) the E.A.A. it is an excelent book and has all the info you need tosafly fly in formation. I will look for it tonight and get author etc. foreveryone.John Duprey> Does anyone know where I can get a pictorial refferance on hand signalsthat> pilots use to communicate with each other (without a radio),when flyingin> formation ? I'm sure this would be useful info for those who plan onflying> into Oshkosh.> > Chuck Gantzer> Wichita KS> > Don't forget: Pietenpol Fly-In at Benton on Sept. 11"the Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Hand Signals

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Rcaprd(at)aol.com
Hi Chuck!The British (and one of my flight instructors!) had a whole series of armcommands for formation flying. The key was giving the hand signal 3 timeswith the turn (etc.) starting on the 3rd signal. Work it out in your"briefing".Of course, it's possible to fly formation without a radio or hand signals-- I've done by forgetting to turn on my radio(!) in a C-150 -- all you dois fly your lead as a reference (& hope he remembers that your'e on hiswing as he turns to your side!!) Mike ConklingPretty Prairie, KS
matronics

> Hand Signals

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Duprey
> > Does anyone know where I can get a pictorial refferance on hand signalsthat> pilots use to communicate with each other (without a radio),when flyingin> formation ? I'm sure this would be useful info for those who plan onflying> into Oshkosh.> > Chuck Gantzer> Wichita KS> > Don't forget: Pietenpol Fly-In at Benton on Sept. 11________________________________________________________________________________