Pietenpol-List: Wood Prices?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Wood Prices?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: lpasley
WEST WIND HARDWOOD INC.1-800-667-2275SIDNEY,B.C.westwind(at)islandnet.com Talk to Jan pronounced Yon he very knowledgeableand has sold wood for aircraft construction before. Alsothere 1/16" or 1.5 mm baltic birtch is good stuff and thereokoume plywood (used for kayak construction) is priced right.the 1/4" or 6 mm is 5 ply of equal lamanates the 3 mm hasa some pin knots. Also there's a lumber yard called Morrison's just north of West Plain Mo, that sells balticbirtch plywood for about $12 a sheet, Its strong my personalbelief is it's ok for aircraft construction,this is not a science just my belief. also you can check with edensaw woods they have ply and douglas fir boat and you can do a search on the internet.-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: arkiesacres(at)juno.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Wood Prices?>I have a couple (few) of questions that I would like answered before I>start building. Thanks in advance for your help.> 1- What does it cost build the Piet with spruce? What about other>recomended woods and their cost?> 2- Which glue is recomended?> 3- What recomendations on a source(s) or company(s) to purchase>materials for the Piet?> 4- Whats recomended reading prior to building? Just the last few posts>about scuffing the gussets prior to glueing made me realize there is a>great deal of knowledge needed prior to construction. > I'm ordering my plans for the Piet today and can't wait to get started>building. Thanks again for everyones help, Randy.>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mboynton(at)excite.com
I have a couple (few) of questions that I would like answered before Istart building. Thanks in advance for your help. 1- What does it cost build the Piet with spruce? What about otherrecomended woods and their cost? 2- Which glue is recomended? 3- What recomendations on a source(s) or company(s) to purchasematerials for the Piet? 4- Whats recomended reading prior to building? Just the last few postsabout scuffing the gussets prior to glueing made me realize there is agreat deal of knowledge needed prior to construction. I'm ordering my plans for the Piet today and can't wait to get startedbuilding. Thanks again for everyones help, Randy.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: RGASKIN
I ordered douglas fir boat lumber at $ 4.00 a board foot 12% moisturecontent. figure about 30% to 40% waste after cutting out knotsplaning and sawing. I received 160 bf plus 1/4, 1/8 okoume and1/16 birch boat ply plus shipping for about $1500.00 dollars. Iv'e found that building a Pietenpol is much cheaperthan smoking and drinking and much safer than chasing women.-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rob Hart
I guess you could call that a free Piet as I can if I ever build mine, Iquit smoking back in 1980 when I was smoking two packs a day at 50 centsper pack, now I think they are 2 bucks a pack. But I never saved themoney as I kept buying toys, Boats , motorcycles and now buildingairplanes, But I think flying an airplane is much safer than smoking orriding motorcycles.I still drink beer and even brew it sometimes.Gordonwrites:>I ordered douglas fir boat lumber at $ 4.00 a board foot 12% moisture>content. figure about 30% to 40% waste after cutting out knots>planing and sawing. I received 160 bf plus 1/4, 1/8 okoume and>1/16 birch boat ply plus shipping for about $1500.00 dollars.> Iv'e found that building a Pietenpol is much cheaper>than smoking and drinking and much safer than chasing women.>__________________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: RGASKIN
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wood Prices?>>I have a couple (few) of questions that I would like answered before I>>start building. Thanks in advance for your help.>> 1- What does it cost build the Piet with spruce? What about other>>recomended woods and their cost?>>Randy,>Below is part of a note I sent a while back when I was researching>wood prices.>>I will be placing my order shortly for all of the spruce in one shot.>Corporate bonus amount was announced, check should be here next>week. Yipeeeee!!!!!>>When I get a final price including shipping I will post it.>>Dave>>-------------------------------->>>Jean Peters at Western Aircraft Supplies>>Calgary, Alberta Canada>>(403)250-1955>>>>>>I talked to Jean Peters today. In $US his prices are $686 for a>fuselage and tail kit and $862 for a wing kit. This is for spruce>only. Plywood and everything else are not included. Add a $30>crating charge and shipping. He uses Delta and ships by air because>it is cheaper than trucking. I was given a 4 day lead time. Credit>cards are not accepted (good thing for me). He wants to see a>postal money order or some sort of guaranteed check. Seemed like>a good person to me. He did offer to do a rib kit or a tail kit>but the quotes were off the top of his head so I am not listing them.>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: michael list
>I have a couple (few) of questions that I would like answered before I>start building. Thanks in advance for your help.> 1- What does it cost build the Piet with spruce? What about other>recomended woods and their cost?Randy,Below is part of a note I sent a while back when I was researchingwood prices.I will be placing my order shortly for all of the spruce in one shot.Corporate bonus amount was announced, check should be here next week. Yipeeeee!!!!!When I get a final price including shipping I will post it.Dave-------------------------------->Jean Peters at Western Aircraft Supplies>Calgary, Alberta Canada>(403)250-1955>>I talked to Jean Peters today. In $US his prices are $686 for a fuselage and tail kit and $862 for a wing kit. This is for spruceonly. Plywood and everything else are not included. Add a $30 crating charge and shipping. He uses Delta and ships by air because it is cheaper than trucking. I was given a 4 day lead time. Creditcards are not accepted (good thing for me). He wants to see a postal money order or some sort of guaranteed check. Seemed likea good person to me. He did offer to do a rib kit or a tail kit but the quotes were off the top of his head so I am not listing them.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> Dave and Connie
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wood Prices?>Sounds good. Where did you find it?>Thanks, Larry>>---------->> Look for would prices on the internet I got 160 bf of boat lumber>> Doug fir and enough plywood to build two Piet's for 1500.00>> this includes shipping, i'm well pleased!>> >> >> Russell>> >> >> -----Original Message----->> >> >> >> >> >>
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dave and Connie
Look for would prices on the internet I got 160 bf of boat lumberDoug fir and enough plywood to build two Piet's for 1500.00this includes shipping, i'm well pleased!Russell-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Dave and Connie
Sounds good. Where did you find it?Thanks, Larry> Look for would prices on the internet I got 160 bf of boat lumber> Doug fir and enough plywood to build two Piet's for 1500.00> this includes shipping, i'm well pleased!> > > Russell> > > -----Original Message-----> > > > > >
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: robert hensarling
I got the call from Jean Peters yesterday (on my birthday!).My wood has been shipped. According to the tracking numberit was at ATL yesterday. It doesn't show a status thismorning.For the record - all of the spruce for a Piet was $1578 US plus shipping. The shipping charge will be $124.60 to Rochester, NY. Jean was not sure if the shipping pricewas in $US or $CDN. After sitting down with the plansand an AS&S catalog this looks pretty reasonable.I guess I should have gotten off my duff and ordered therib gusset plywood earlier. That order was placed on Friday.DaveGotta loft a rib jig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Wood Prices?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Craig Lawler
> Subject: Re: Wood Prices?> > > >>I have a couple (few) of questions that I would like answered before I> >>start building. Thanks in advance for your help.> >> 1- What does it cost build the Piet with spruce? What about other> >>recomended woods and their cost?> >> >Randy,> >Below is part of a note I sent a while back when I was researching> >wood prices.> >> >I will be placing my order shortly for all of the spruce in one shot.> >Corporate bonus amount was announced, check should be here next> >week. Yipeeeee!!!!!> >> >When I get a final price including shipping I will post it.> >> >Dave> >> >--------------------------------> >> >>Jean Peters at Western Aircraft Supplies> >>Calgary, Alberta Canada> >>(403)250-1955> >>> >>> >> >I talked to Jean Peters today. In $US his prices are $686 for a> >fuselage and tail kit and $862 for a wing kit. This is for spruce> >only. Plywood and everything else are not included. Add a $30> >crating charge and shipping. He uses Delta and ships by air because> >it is cheaper than trucking. I was given a 4 day lead time. Credit> >cards are not accepted (good thing for me). He wants to see a> >postal money order or some sort of guaranteed check. Seemed like> >a good person to me. He did offer to do a rib kit or a tail kit> >but the quotes were off the top of his head so I am not listing them.> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Re: Wood Prices?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: kyle ray
>> Subject: Re: Wood Prices?>> >> >> >>I have a couple (few) of questions that I would like answered before I>> >>start building. Thanks in advance for your help.>> >> 1- What does it cost build the Piet with spruce? What about other>> >>recomended woods and their cost?>> >>> >Randy,>> >Below is part of a note I sent a while back when I was researching>> >wood prices.>> >>> >I will be placing my order shortly for all of the spruce in one shot.>> >Corporate bonus amount was announced, check should be here next>> >week. Yipeeeee!!!!!>> >>> >When I get a final price including shipping I will post it.>> >>> >Dave>> >>> >-------------------------------->> >>> >>Jean Peters at Western Aircraft Supplies>> >>Calgary, Alberta Canada>> >>(403)250-1955>> >>>> >>>> >>> >I talked to Jean Peters today. In $US his prices are $686 for a>> >fuselage and tail kit and $862 for a wing kit. This is for spruce>> >only. Plywood and everything else are not included. Add a $30>> >crating charge and shipping. He uses Delta and ships by air because>> >it is cheaper than trucking. I was given a 4 day lead time. Credit>> >cards are not accepted (good thing for me). He wants to see a>> >postal money order or some sort of guaranteed check. Seemed like>> >a good person to me. He did offer to do a rib kit or a tail kit>> >but the quotes were off the top of his head so I am not listing them.>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >>________________________________________________________________________________