Pietenpol-List: colors

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> robert hensarling
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: colorsHi Michael, thanks again for the info. Is there a photo you know of of theplane your describing (P-6E)?Robert Hensarlinghttp://www.mesquite-furniture.comrhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.comUvalde, Texas>Robert!>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went to the>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!>>Mike C.>PP, KS>>----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> robert hensarling
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: colorsHi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want to useon my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it: http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_ye ... 1.htmCould you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes? Also, isthere is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?Thanks!Robert Hensarlinghttp://www.mesquite-furniture.comrhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.comUvalde, Texas>Robert!>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went to the>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!>>Mike C.>PP, KS>>----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: robert hensarling
Tell ya what if you want some ideals on paint schemes then go to your local book storeand get a book called Janes book on aircraft color schemes. There are literallyevery imaginable combination you couldthink of. Every airforce back to 1910, fromall over the world. Polish, Italian. RAF,German, Russian.russ ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kevin McDonald
>>The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they were>O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all O.D.>planes were too hard to see in peace time.>>Mike Conkling>Pretty Prairie, KSMike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started, andif there was a set scheme before it?Robert Hensarlinghttp://www.mesquite-furniture.comrhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.comUvalde, Texas________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> robert hensarling
Robert!In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went to the13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudderwidth) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudderstripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge. My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17thPursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!Mike C.PP, KS
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Conkling
-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

RobertCheck out www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey13.htmThe Air Force museum has thier P-6E restored to this color scheme -- the17th Pursuit Sq. was painted this way for theier participation in the 1932National Air Races. The scheme was hard to keep up, so it was somewhatsubdued afterwards! ;-)Mike C.PP, KS
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dave and Connie
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: colorsThanks Kyle!Robert Hensarling>Tell ya what if you want some ideals on paint >schemes then go to your local book store>and get a book called Janes book on >aircraft color schemes. There are literally>every imaginable combination you could>think of. Every airforce back to 1910, from>all over the world. Polish, Italian. RAF,>German, Russian.>>>russ >>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>> robert hensarling
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: colors>>-----Original Message----->From: Michael Conkling >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 7:01 PM>Subject: Re: colors>>Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want to use>on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it:> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_ye ... htm>>Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes? Also, is>there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?>Thanks!>Robert Hensarling>http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>Uvalde, Texas>>>>Robert!>>>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went tothe>>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder>>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder>>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.>>>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th>>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!>>>>Mike C.>>PP, KS>>>>----------
matronics

>> Re: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>>> robert hensarling
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: colorsThanks all for the help. Looks like I'm searching for either Chrome orinsignia yellow, and not quite sure yet on the O.D. There is a model shopin San Antonio, and next time I'm there I'll drop in and look at the charts.Once I find the colors I want, are there suggestions as to the source andbrand of the paint? The existing paint job on the GN is not too bad (justnot the color I want), so I suppose this will need to be prepared somehowwith a primer, then the new paint. I haven't a clue as to what brand ofpaint was originally used in 77 when the ship was built.Earl, you mentioned that the trim colors were Federal Colors. What exactlydoes this refer to?Thanks again for the help! I may get Richard to help me put up a before,during, and after photo of the project eventually. Of course later on comesthe WIRE WHEELS. I've just GOTto have those. Lastly, would a GN-1 qualifyfor the NX prefix, so as to not need the "experimental" placard, or wouldthis impossible to try and do at this point?Later guys,Robert HensarlingGN-1 N83887>Robert;> Back then, they used "Chrome Yellow" and "Olive Drab", however, O.D. back>then was different than today's O.D. so my Military Jeep buddies tell me.>They also said O.D. had a tendency to fade quickly to an odd>tanish-green.......Go to a model shop and look for the plastic model paint>guides. It is all in there. If your neck of the woods doesn't have thatsort>of thing, advise and I will look that stuff up from here. Even the trim>colors were Federal Colors.........>Earl Myers>-----Original Message----->From: robert hensarling >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 6:55 PM>Subject: Re: colors>>>>>>-----Original Message----->>From: Michael Conkling >>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 7:01 PM>>Subject: Re: colors>>>>Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want to use>>on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it:>> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_ye ... m>>>>Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes? Also,is>>there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?>>Thanks!>>Robert Hensarling>>http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>>rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>>Uvalde, Texas>>>>>>>>>>>Robert!>>>>>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went to>the>>>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder>>>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder>>>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.>>>>>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th>>>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!>>>>>>Mike C.>>>PP, KS>>>>>>----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Conkling
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: kyle ray
matronics

Post by matronics »

Hi Robert!You can check your local hobby shop for plastic model paints -- Testors"Model Master" are good colors -- they even have a color chart (freebie?) The "Olive Drab"is close to the early color -- Goverment specs. have changed over theyears.;-) That's not a big problem as O.D. faded over time. The "yellow" you want is"Chrome Yellow".I think the Piet has more curves that the PT-1! -- and the cowling is suresimplier!! Mike C.PP, KS
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Michael Conkling
robert hensarling wrote:> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

>>> Re: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>>>> robert hensarling
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: colors>>-----Original Message----->From: Earl Myers >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 11:45 PM>Subject: Re: colors>>Thanks all for the help. Looks like I'm searching for either Chrome or>insignia yellow, and not quite sure yet on the O.D. There is a model shop>in San Antonio, and next time I'm there I'll drop in and look at thecharts.>Once I find the colors I want, are there suggestions as to the source and>brand of the paint? The existing paint job on the GN is not too bad (just>not the color I want), so I suppose this will need to be prepared somehow>with a primer, then the new paint. I haven't a clue as to what brand of>paint was originally used in 77 when the ship was built.>>Earl, you mentioned that the trim colors were Federal Colors. What exactly>does this refer to?>Thanks again for the help! I may get Richard to help me put up a before,>during, and after photo of the project eventually. Of course later oncomes>the WIRE WHEELS. I've just GOTto have those. Lastly, would a GN-1 qualify>for the NX prefix, so as to not need the "experimental" placard, or would>this impossible to try and do at this point?>>Later guys,>Robert Hensarling>GN-1 N83887>>>>Robert;>> Back then, they used "Chrome Yellow" and "Olive Drab", however, O.D.back>>then was different than today's O.D. so my Military Jeep buddies tell me.>>They also said O.D. had a tendency to fade quickly to an odd>>tanish-green.......Go to a model shop and look for the plastic model paint>>guides. It is all in there. If your neck of the woods doesn't have that>sort>>of thing, advise and I will look that stuff up from here. Even the trim>>colors were Federal Colors.........>>Earl Myers>>-----Original Message----->>From: robert hensarling >>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 6:55 PM>>Subject: Re: colors>>>>>>>>>>-----Original Message----->>>From: Michael Conkling >>>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>>Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 7:01 PM>>>Subject: Re: colors>>>>>>Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want touse>>>on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it:>>> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_ye ... >>>>>Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes? Also,>is>>>there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?>>>Thanks!>>>Robert Hensarling>>>http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>>>rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>>>Uvalde, Texas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Robert!>>>>>>>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went to>>the>>>>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder>>>>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder>>>>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.>>>>>>>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th>>>>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!>>>>>>>>Mike C.>>>>PP, KS>>>>>>>>----------
matronics

>>> Re: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>>>> robert hensarling
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: colors>>-----Original Message----->From: Earl Myers >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 11:45 PM>Subject: Re: colors>>Thanks all for the help. Looks like I'm searching for either Chrome or>insignia yellow, and not quite sure yet on the O.D. There is a model shop>in San Antonio, and next time I'm there I'll drop in and look at thecharts.>Once I find the colors I want, are there suggestions as to the source and>brand of the paint? The existing paint job on the GN is not too bad (just>not the color I want), so I suppose this will need to be prepared somehow>with a primer, then the new paint. I haven't a clue as to what brand of>paint was originally used in 77 when the ship was built.>>Earl, you mentioned that the trim colors were Federal Colors. What exactly>does this refer to?>Thanks again for the help! I may get Richard to help me put up a before,>during, and after photo of the project eventually. Of course later oncomes>the WIRE WHEELS. I've just GOTto have those. Lastly, would a GN-1 qualify>for the NX prefix, so as to not need the "experimental" placard, or would>this impossible to try and do at this point?>>Later guys,>Robert Hensarling>GN-1 N83887>>>>Robert;>> Back then, they used "Chrome Yellow" and "Olive Drab", however, O.D.back>>then was different than today's O.D. so my Military Jeep buddies tell me.>>They also said O.D. had a tendency to fade quickly to an odd>>tanish-green.......Go to a model shop and look for the plastic model paint>>guides. It is all in there. If your neck of the woods doesn't have that>sort>>of thing, advise and I will look that stuff up from here. Even the trim>>colors were Federal Colors.........>>Earl Myers>>-----Original Message----->>From: robert hensarling >>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 6:55 PM>>Subject: Re: colors>>>>>>>>>>-----Original Message----->>>From: Michael Conkling >>>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>>Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 7:01 PM>>>Subject: Re: colors>>>>>>Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want touse>>>on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it:>>> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_ye ... >>>>>Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes? Also,>is>>>there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?>>>Thanks!>>>Robert Hensarling>>>http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>>>rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>>>Uvalde, Texas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Robert!>>>>>>>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went to>>the>>>>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder>>>>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder>>>>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.>>>>>>>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th>>>>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!>>>>>>>>Mike C.>>>>PP, KS>>>>>>>>----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Robert; Back then, they used "Chrome Yellow" and "Olive Drab", however, O.D. backthen was different than today's O.D. so my Military Jeep buddies tell me.They also said O.D. had a tendency to fade quickly to an oddtanish-green.......Go to a model shop and look for the plastic model paintguides. It is all in there. If your neck of the woods doesn't have that sortof thing, advise and I will look that stuff up from here. Even the trimcolors were Federal Colors.........Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Earl Myers
matronics

>>>> Re: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>>>>> robert hensarling
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: colorsEarl, this is great, it gives me a good starting point, thanks!>Robert;> Here is a start:>>CHROME YELLOW FS13538>INSIGNIA YELLOW FS33538>OLIVE DRAB FS34088>INSIGNIA RED FS31136>INSIGNIA WHITE FS17875>>FS means "Federal Standard"....this info is from the Testor's paint charts>available at that hobby shop. Advise if you need more info!>Earl Myers>>-----Original Message----->From: robert hensarling >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Wednesday, April 14, 1999 3:47 AM>Subject: Re: colors>>>>>>-----Original Message----->>From: Earl Myers >>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 11:45 PM>>Subject: Re: colors>>>>Thanks all for the help. Looks like I'm searching for either Chrome or>>insignia yellow, and not quite sure yet on the O.D. There is a model shop>>in San Antonio, and next time I'm there I'll drop in and look at the>charts.>>Once I find the colors I want, are there suggestions as to the source and>>brand of the paint? The existing paint job on the GN is not too bad (just>>not the color I want), so I suppose this will need to be prepared somehow>>with a primer, then the new paint. I haven't a clue as to what brand of>>paint was originally used in 77 when the ship was built.>>>>Earl, you mentioned that the trim colors were Federal Colors. Whatexactly>>does this refer to?>>Thanks again for the help! I may get Richard to help me put up a before,>>during, and after photo of the project eventually. Of course later on>comes>>the WIRE WHEELS. I've just GOTto have those. Lastly, would a GN-1qualify>>for the NX prefix, so as to not need the "experimental" placard, or would>>this impossible to try and do at this point?>>>>Later guys,>>Robert Hensarling>>GN-1 N83887>>>>>>>Robert;>>> Back then, they used "Chrome Yellow" and "Olive Drab", however, O.D.>back>>>then was different than today's O.D. so my Military Jeep buddies tell me.>>>They also said O.D. had a tendency to fade quickly to an odd>>>tanish-green.......Go to a model shop and look for the plastic modelpaint>>>guides. It is all in there. If your neck of the woods doesn't have that>>sort>>>of thing, advise and I will look that stuff up from here. Even the trim>>>colors were Federal Colors.........>>>Earl Myers>>>-----Original Message----->>>From: robert hensarling >>>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>>Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 6:55 PM>>>Subject: Re: colors>>>>>>>>>>>>>>-----Original Message----->>>>From: Michael Conkling >>>>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>>>Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 7:01 PM>>>>Subject: Re: colors>>>>>>>>Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want to>use>>>>on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it:>>>> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_ye ... >>>>>Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes? Also,>>is>>>>there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?>>>>Thanks!>>>>Robert Hensarling>>>>http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>>>>rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>>>>Uvalde, Texas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Robert!>>>>>>>>>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went to>>>the>>>>>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder>>>>>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder>>>>>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.>>>>>>>>>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th>>>>>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!>>>>>>>>>>Mike C.>>>>>PP, KS>>>>>>>>>>----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Robert; If I recall, there is a BIG hobby shop in San Antonio that advertises alot. By Federal Colors I ment there are standard colors used by the militarysince the 30's for their paint schemes, Olive Drab being one of them. Stits,er, Poly Fiber as well as Randolph offer selected FS colors. Example; myScout is painted in Tennesee Red which is the same as Insignia Red, FS 31554(for example, not the right number). There is also gloss, semi-gloss andflat of each.Also note, I wanted to change the color of some of my metal fittings on thewing to red...couldn't re-powder coat them so ground off the paint,reprimered and had the touchup paint COMPUTER MATCHED to my finished color.You can't tell the difference! By the way, when you paint anything "RED",the final shade of red depends on what color you paint over!By this I mean my Scout started out to be Tennesee Red....it came out a tadorange which is what I was after because I painted over the silver. Toachieve the bright red-red, you have to lighten up the silver with a lightcoat of white. That will give you the color on the paint chips. I am toldthis is true with YELLOW as well...... I will dig out my Military Color Charts and what not and let you knowabout those numbers. The hobby shop even sells plastic model paints in thoselittle bottles to the FS number which I think means Federal Stock but let mecheck.....................Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Robert; Here is a start:CHROME YELLOW FS13538INSIGNIA YELLOW FS33538OLIVE DRAB FS34088INSIGNIA RED FS31136INSIGNIA WHITE FS17875FS means "Federal Standard"....this info is from the Testor's paint chartsavailable at that hobby shop. Advise if you need more info!Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

You can buy the complete set of federal standard 595b color chips fromhttp://www.doceng.com/ I think I paid about 50.00$Ken----- Original Message -----________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

> colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mike Lund
> > >> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that theywere> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all O.D.> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.> >> >Mike Conkling> >Pretty Prairie, KS> > Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started,and> if there was a set scheme before it?> Robert Hensarling> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> Uvalde, Texas________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> colors

Post by matronics »

>>>> >>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they>were>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all O.D.>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.>> >>> >Mike Conkling>> >Pretty Prairie, KS>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started,>and>> if there was a set scheme before it?>> Robert Hensarling>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>> Uvalde, Texas>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

> > > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> >> robert hensarling
> Subject: Re: colors> > Hi Michael, thanks again for the info. Is there a photo you know of ofthe> plane your describing (P-6E)?> Robert Hensarling> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> Uvalde, Texas> > > >Robert!> >> >In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went tothe> >13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder> >width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder> >stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.> >> >My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th> >Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!> >> >Mike C.> >PP, KS> >> >----------
matronics

> >> colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ADonJr(at)aol.com
> >>> >> >> >> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they> >were> >> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the allO.D.> >> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.> >> >> >> >Mike Conkling> >> >Pretty Prairie, KS> >>> >> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started,> >and> >> if there was a set scheme before it?> >> Robert Hensarling> >> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> >> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> >> Uvalde, Texas> >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> colors

Post by matronics »

>>>> >>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they>were>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all O.D.>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.>> >>> >Mike Conkling>> >Pretty Prairie, KS>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started,>and>> if there was a set scheme before it?>> Robert Hensarling>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>> Uvalde, Texas>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

> > > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

> Subject: Re: colors> > Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want touse> on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it:> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey11.htm> > Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes? Also,is> there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?> Thanks!> Robert Hensarling> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> Uvalde, Texas> > > > > >Robert!> >> >In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went tothe> >13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder> >width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder> >stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.> >> >My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th> >Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!> >> >Mike C.> >PP, KS> >> >----------
matronics

> >> colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Richard DeCosta
> >>> >> >> >> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they> >were> >> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the allO.D.> >> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.> >> >> >> >Mike Conkling> >> >Pretty Prairie, KS> >>> >> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started,> >and> >> if there was a set scheme before it?> >> Robert Hensarling> >> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> >> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> >> Uvalde, Texas> >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

> Subject: Re: colors> > Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want to use> on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it:> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey11.htm> > Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes? Also, is> there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?> Thanks!> Robert Hensarling> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> Uvalde, Texas> > >Robert!> >> >In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went to the> >13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder> >width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder> >stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.> >> >My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th> >Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel pants!> >> >Mike C.> >PP, KS> >> >----------
matronics

> >> colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Bill Talbert
> >>> >> >> >> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they> >were> >> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all O.D.> >> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.> >> >> >> >Mike Conkling> >> >Pretty Prairie, KS> >>> >> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started,> >and> >> if there was a set scheme before it?> >> Robert Hensarling> >> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> >> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> >> Uvalde, Texas> >Robert: I don't know what shade of O.D. ( there were meny over theyears) but the Army Aircorps always used "Insignia Yellow" hope thishelps.John Duprey________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>>> colors

Post by matronics »

>>>>>> >>>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they>>were>>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all O.D.>>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.>>> >>>> >Mike Conkling>>> >Pretty Prairie, KS>>>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started,>>and>>> if there was a set scheme before it?>>> Robert Hensarling>>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>>> Uvalde, Texas>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>>>> colors

Post by matronics »

>>>>>>>> >>>>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they>>>were>>>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all O.D.>>>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.>>>> >>>>> >Mike Conkling>>>> >Pretty Prairie, KS>>>>>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started,>>>and>>>> if there was a set scheme before it?>>>> Robert Hensarling>>>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>>>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>>>> Uvalde, Texas>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>>>>> colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Joe Krzes
>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they>>>>were>>>>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the allO.D.>>>>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.>>>>> >>>>>> >Mike Conkling>>>>> >Pretty Prairie, KS>>>>>>>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started,>>>>and>>>>> if there was a set scheme before it?>>>>> Robert Hensarling>>>>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>>>>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>>>>> Uvalde, Texas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>>>>> colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Fay
>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they>>>>were>>>>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the allO.D.>>>>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.>>>>> >>>>>> >Mike Conkling>>>>> >Pretty Prairie, KS>>>>>>>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme started,>>>>and>>>>> if there was a set scheme before it?>>>>> Robert Hensarling>>>>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>>>>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>>>>> Uvalde, Texas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> >>> Re: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> >>>>> robert hensarling
> Subject: Re: colors>>> >> >-----Original Message-----> >From: Earl Myers > >To: Pietenpol Discussion > >Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 11:45 PM> >Subject: Re: colors> >> >Thanks all for the help. Looks like I'm searching for either Chrome or> >insignia yellow, and not quite sure yet on the O.D. There is a modelshop> >in San Antonio, and next time I'm there I'll drop in and look at the> charts.> >Once I find the colors I want, are there suggestions as to the sourceand> >brand of the paint? The existing paint job on the GN is not too bad(just> >not the color I want), so I suppose this will need to be prepared somehow> >with a primer, then the new paint. I haven't a clue as to what brand of> >paint was originally used in 77 when the ship was built.> >> >Earl, you mentioned that the trim colors were Federal Colors. Whatexactly> >does this refer to?> >Thanks again for the help! I may get Richard to help me put up a before,> >during, and after photo of the project eventually. Of course later on> comes> >the WIRE WHEELS. I've just GOTto have those. Lastly, would a GN-1qualify> >for the NX prefix, so as to not need the "experimental" placard, or would> >this impossible to try and do at this point?> >> >Later guys,> >Robert Hensarling> >GN-1 N83887> >> >> >>Robert;> >> Back then, they used "Chrome Yellow" and "Olive Drab", however, O.D.> back> >>then was different than today's O.D. so my Military Jeep buddies tellme.> >>They also said O.D. had a tendency to fade quickly to an odd> >>tanish-green.......Go to a model shop and look for the plastic modelpaint> >>guides. It is all in there. If your neck of the woods doesn't have that> >sort> >>of thing, advise and I will look that stuff up from here. Even the trim> >>colors were Federal Colors.........> >>Earl Myers> >>-----Original Message-----> >>From: robert hensarling > >>To: Pietenpol Discussion > >>Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 6:55 PM> >>Subject: Re: colors> >>> >>> >>>> >>>-----Original Message-----> >>>From: Michael Conkling > >>>To: Pietenpol Discussion > >>>Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 7:01 PM> >>>Subject: Re: colors> >>>> >>>Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want to> use> >>>on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it:> >>> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey11.htm> >>>> >>>Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes?Also,> >is> >>>there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?> >>>Thanks!> >>>Robert Hensarling> >>>http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> >>>rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> >>>Uvalde, Texas> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>Robert!> >>>>> >>>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they wentto> >>the> >>>>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder> >>>>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder> >>>>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.> >>>>> >>>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th> >>>>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheelpants!> >>>>> >>>>Mike C.> >>>>PP, KS> >>>>> >>>>----------
matronics

> >>>>> colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: walter evans
> >>>>>> >>>>> >> >>>>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before thatthey> >>>>were> >>>>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all> O.D.> >>>>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.> >>>>> >> >>>>> >Mike Conkling> >>>>> >Pretty Prairie, KS> >>>>>> >>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow schemestarted,> >>>>and> >>>>> if there was a set scheme before it?> >>>>> Robert Hensarling> >>>>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> >>>>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> >>>>> Uvalde, Texas> >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >> >>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> > >>> Re: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > >>>>> robert hensarling
> > Subject: Re: colors> >> >> > >> > >-----Original Message-----> > >From: Earl Myers > > >To: Pietenpol Discussion > > >Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 11:45 PM> > >Subject: Re: colors> > >> > >Thanks all for the help. Looks like I'm searching for either Chrome or> > >insignia yellow, and not quite sure yet on the O.D. There is a model> shop> > >in San Antonio, and next time I'm there I'll drop in and look at the> > charts.> > >Once I find the colors I want, are there suggestions as to the source> and> > >brand of the paint? The existing paint job on the GN is not too bad> (just> > >not the color I want), so I suppose this will need to be prepared somehow> > >with a primer, then the new paint. I haven't a clue as to what brand of> > >paint was originally used in 77 when the ship was built.> > >> > >Earl, you mentioned that the trim colors were Federal Colors. What> exactly> > >does this refer to?> > >Thanks again for the help! I may get Richard to help me put up a before,> > >during, and after photo of the project eventually. Of course later on> > comes> > >the WIRE WHEELS. I've just GOTto have those. Lastly, would a GN-1> qualify> > >for the NX prefix, so as to not need the "experimental" placard, or would> > >this impossible to try and do at this point?> > >> > >Later guys,> > >Robert Hensarling> > >GN-1 N83887> > >> > >> > >>Robert;> > >> Back then, they used "Chrome Yellow" and "Olive Drab", however, O.D.> > back> > >>then was different than today's O.D. so my Military Jeep buddies tell> me.> > >>They also said O.D. had a tendency to fade quickly to an odd> > >>tanish-green.......Go to a model shop and look for the plastic model> paint> > >>guides. It is all in there. If your neck of the woods doesn't have that> > >sort> > >>of thing, advise and I will look that stuff up from here. Even the trim> > >>colors were Federal Colors.........> > >>Earl Myers> > >>-----Original Message-----> > >>From: robert hensarling > > >>To: Pietenpol Discussion > > >>Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 6:55 PM> > >>Subject: Re: colors> > >>> > >>> > >>>> > >>>-----Original Message-----> > >>>From: Michael Conkling > > >>>To: Pietenpol Discussion > > >>>Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 7:01 PM> > >>>Subject: Re: colors> > >>>> > >>>Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want to> > use> > >>>on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it:> > >>> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey11.htm> > >>>> > >>>Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes?> Also,> > >is> > >>>there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?> > >>>Thanks!> > >>>Robert Hensarling> > >>>http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> > >>>rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> > >>>Uvalde, Texas> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>>Robert!> > >>>>> > >>>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went> to> > >>the> > >>>>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder> > >>>>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder> > >>>>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.> > >>>>> > >>>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th> > >>>>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel> pants!> > >>>>> > >>>>Mike C.> > >>>>PP, KS> > >>>>> > >>>>----------
matronics

> > >>>>> colors

Post by matronics »

> > >>>>>> > >>>>> >> > >>>>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that> they> > >>>>were> > >>>>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all> > O.D.> > >>>>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.> > >>>>> >> > >>>>> >Mike Conkling> > >>>>> >Pretty Prairie, KS> > >>>>>> > >>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme> started,> > >>>>and> > >>>>> if there was a set scheme before it?> > >>>>> Robert Hensarling> > >>>>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com> > >>>>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com> > >>>>> Uvalde, Texas> > >>>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>> > >>> > >> > >> >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> > >>> Re: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> > >>>>> robert hensarling
>> > Subject: Re: colors>> >>> >>> > >>> > >-----Original Message----->> > >From: Earl Myers >> > >To: Pietenpol Discussion >> > >Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 11:45 PM>> > >Subject: Re: colors>> > >>> > >Thanks all for the help. Looks like I'm searching for either >Chrome or>> > >insignia yellow, and not quite sure yet on the O.D. There is a >model>> shop>> > >in San Antonio, and next time I'm there I'll drop in and look at >the>> > charts.>> > >Once I find the colors I want, are there suggestions as to the >source>> and>> > >brand of the paint? The existing paint job on the GN is not too >bad>> (just>> > >not the color I want), so I suppose this will need to be prepared >somehow>> > >with a primer, then the new paint. I haven't a clue as to what >brand of>> > >paint was originally used in 77 when the ship was built.>> > >>> > >Earl, you mentioned that the trim colors were Federal Colors. >What>> exactly>> > >does this refer to?>> > >Thanks again for the help! I may get Richard to help me put up a >before,>> > >during, and after photo of the project eventually. Of course >later on>> > comes>> > >the WIRE WHEELS. I've just GOTto have those. Lastly, would a >GN-1>> qualify>> > >for the NX prefix, so as to not need the "experimental" placard, >or would>> > >this impossible to try and do at this point?>> > >>> > >Later guys,>> > >Robert Hensarling>> > >GN-1 N83887>> > >>> > >>> > >>Robert;>> > >> Back then, they used "Chrome Yellow" and "Olive Drab", >however, O.D.>> > back>> > >>then was different than today's O.D. so my Military Jeep buddies >tell>> me.>> > >>They also said O.D. had a tendency to fade quickly to an odd>> > >>tanish-green.......Go to a model shop and look for the plastic >model>> paint>> > >>guides. It is all in there. If your neck of the woods doesn't >have that>> > >sort>> > >>of thing, advise and I will look that stuff up from here. Even >the trim>> > >>colors were Federal Colors.........>> > >>Earl Myers>> > >>-----Original Message----->> > >>From: robert hensarling >> > >>To: Pietenpol Discussion >> > >>Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 6:55 PM>> > >>Subject: Re: colors>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>>> > >>>-----Original Message----->> > >>>From: Michael Conkling >> > >>>To: Pietenpol Discussion >> > >>>Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 7:01 PM>> > >>>Subject: Re: colors>> > >>>>> > >>>Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I >want to>> > use>> > >>>on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo >of it:>> > >>> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey11.htm>> > >>>>> > >>>Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and >sizes?>> Also,>> > >is>> > >>>there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?>> > >>>Thanks!>> > >>>Robert Hensarling>> > >>>http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>> > >>>rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>> > >>>Uvalde, Texas>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>Robert!>> > >>>>>> > >>>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time >they went>> to>> > >>the>> > >>>>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 >the rudder>> > >>>>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the >rudder>> > >>>>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.>> > >>>>>> > >>>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from >the 17th>> > >>>>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the >wheel>> pants!>> > >>>>>> > >>>>Mike C.>> > >>>>PP, KS>> > >>>>>> > >>>>----------
matronics

>> > >>>>> colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mark Hopkins
>> > >>>>>>> > >>>>> >>> > >>>>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before >that>> they>> > >>>>were>> > >>>>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause >the all>> > O.D.>> > >>>>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.>> > >>>>> >>> > >>>>> >Mike Conkling>> > >>>>> >Pretty Prairie, KS>> > >>>>>>> > >>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow >scheme>> started,>> > >>>>and>> > >>>>> if there was a set scheme before it?>> > >>>>> Robert Hensarling>> > >>>>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>> > >>>>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>> > >>>>> Uvalde, Texas>> > >>>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>> > >>> >__________________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>>>>>> colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Cuy
>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that they>>>>>were>>>>>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all>O.D.>>>>>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.>>>>>> >>>>>>> >Mike Conkling>>>>>> >Pretty Prairie, KS>>>>>>>>>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow schemestarted,>>>>>and>>>>>> if there was a set scheme before it?>>>>>> Robert Hensarling>>>>>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>>>>>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>>>>>> Uvalde, Texas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> > >>> Re: colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> > >>>>> robert hensarling
>> > Subject: Re: colors>> >>> >>> > >>> > >-----Original Message----->> > >From: Earl Myers >> > >To: Pietenpol Discussion >> > >Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 11:45 PM>> > >Subject: Re: colors>> > >>> > >Thanks all for the help. Looks like I'm searching for either Chrome or>> > >insignia yellow, and not quite sure yet on the O.D. There is a model>> shop>> > >in San Antonio, and next time I'm there I'll drop in and look at the>> > charts.>> > >Once I find the colors I want, are there suggestions as to the source>> and>> > >brand of the paint? The existing paint job on the GN is not too bad>> (just>> > >not the color I want), so I suppose this will need to be prepared somehow>> > >with a primer, then the new paint. I haven't a clue as to what brand of>> > >paint was originally used in 77 when the ship was built.>> > >>> > >Earl, you mentioned that the trim colors were Federal Colors. What>> exactly>> > >does this refer to?>> > >Thanks again for the help! I may get Richard to help me put up a before,>> > >during, and after photo of the project eventually. Of course later on>> > comes>> > >the WIRE WHEELS. I've just GOTto have those. Lastly, would a GN-1>> qualify>> > >for the NX prefix, so as to not need the "experimental" placard, or would>> > >this impossible to try and do at this point?>> > >>> > >Later guys,>> > >Robert Hensarling>> > >GN-1 N83887>> > >>> > >>> > >>Robert;>> > >> Back then, they used "Chrome Yellow" and "Olive Drab", however, O.D.>> > back>> > >>then was different than today's O.D. so my Military Jeep buddies tell>> me.>> > >>They also said O.D. had a tendency to fade quickly to an odd>> > >>tanish-green.......Go to a model shop and look for the plastic model>> paint>> > >>guides. It is all in there. If your neck of the woods doesn't have that>> > >sort>> > >>of thing, advise and I will look that stuff up from here. Even the trim>> > >>colors were Federal Colors.........>> > >>Earl Myers>> > >>-----Original Message----->> > >>From: robert hensarling >> > >>To: Pietenpol Discussion >> > >>Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 6:55 PM>> > >>Subject: Re: colors>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>>> > >>>-----Original Message----->> > >>>From: Michael Conkling >> > >>>To: Pietenpol Discussion >> > >>>Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 7:01 PM>> > >>>Subject: Re: colors>> > >>>>> > >>>Hi Michael. I've found a airplane that has the color scheme I want to>> > use>> > >>>on my GN-1. The airplane is the PT-1 "Trusty". Here's a photo of it:>> > >>> http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey11.htm>> > >>>>> > >>>Could you provide any info as the the insignia designs and sizes?>> Also,>> > >is>> > >>>there is "standard" O.D. and Yellow that should be used?>> > >>>Thanks!>> > >>>Robert Hensarling>> > >>>http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>> > >>>rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>> > >>>Uvalde, Texas>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>Robert!>> > >>>>>> > >>>>In 1927, the Army went to the O.D./yellow -- the same time they went>> to>> > >>the>> > >>>>13 red & white rudder stripes with the the blue stripe (1/3 the rudder>> > >>>>width) at the rudder hinge line. When they were all O.D., the rudder>> > >>>>stripes vertical, blue at the rudder hinge.>> > >>>>>> > >>>>My favorite plane with these colors is the Curtiss P-6E from the 17th>> > >>>>Pursuit Sq with the white Snow Owl insignia & claws on the wheel>> pants!>> > >>>>>> > >>>>Mike C.>> > >>>>PP, KS>> > >>>>>> > >>>>----------
matronics

>> > >>>>> colors

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: arkiesacres(at)juno.com
>> > >>>>>>> > >>>>> >>> > >>>>> >The blue/yellow colors were in effect by 1934-35 -- before that>> they>> > >>>>were>> > >>>>> >O.D./ yellow. The yellow wings & tail came about 'cause the all>> > O.D.>> > >>>>> >planes were too hard to see in peace time.>> > >>>>> >>> > >>>>> >Mike Conkling>> > >>>>> >Pretty Prairie, KS>> > >>>>>>> > >>>>> Mike, one last thing, do you know when the O.D./Yellow scheme>> started,>> > >>>>and>> > >>>>> if there was a set scheme before it?>> > >>>>> Robert Hensarling>> > >>>>> http://www.mesquite-furniture.com>> > >>>>> rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com>> > >>>>> Uvalde, Texas>> > >>>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>> > >>> >>>________________________________________________________________________________