Pietenpol-List: aleron gag seals

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Eli or Robert or Teresa
>> I fought that problem for a long time. Then I got me some 100 MPH tape( Wag-Aero ) & it has worked great for the last four years. Put it onthe tail too. Mike B ( Piet N687MB )
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Craig Lawler
I've got 107 TT on my Piet and still haven't come up with a goodsalution for the gap seals, anyone have some info? I had packing tapeon it for awhile, then it left one wing one evening and I put it in anieghbors field (the wing got kinda heavy) got some duck tape smeard iton and got back to my field. Just another day with the Piet.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: aleron gag seals

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Earl Myers
Wow, it sure sounds like sealing the aileron gap makes a lot ofdifference. I had a thought about a solution. Model airplanesare generally covered with a shrink plastic film that has a heatsensitive glue on one side. It sticks really good and wouldprovide a tough and flexible web. I'd cover six or eight inchestop and bottom on both wing and aileron and heat it together atthe gap. I've also thought about using the same stuff oversome six ounce woven glass that would be epoxied to wing andaileron, leave the gap untreated, and then cover with the sameplastic material as above. May you could try about a foot ofeach on each wing, that way if it fails the limited areashouldn't unbalance your plane too badly to fly OK.The plastice comes in a lot of colors, so you might not even needto paint.Good luck!Mike BellColumbia, SC________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mike Bell
x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"Eli,The gap seals I used are made of Moncooat RC airplane model covering.Any hobby shop. Found the same color as my paint. Seems be holding upfine on the ailerons. Need to replace it on the elevator. More sun thereI guess.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: walter evans
In the gliders, we use surface tapes. Just glue it on with Super Seam orwhatever, put a couple coats of dope, then color and your done. Just makesure you don't do a heavy buildup where it flexes.Eli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman wrote:> I've got 107 TT on my Piet and still haven't come up with a good> salution for the gap seals, anyone have some info? I had packing tape> on it for awhile, then it left one wing one evening and I put it in a> nieghbors field (the wing got kinda heavy) got some duck tape smeard it> on and got back to my field. Just another day with the Piet.> --David B.Schober, CPEInstructor, Aviation MaintenanceFairmont State CollegeNational Aerospace Education CenterRt. 3 Box 13Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503(304) 842-8300________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
I've got 107 TT on myPiet andstill haven't come up with a goodsalution for the gap seals, anyonehavesome info?I fought that problem for a long time.Then I gotme some 100 MPH tape ( Wag-Aero ) it has worked great for the lastfouryears. Put it on the tail too.Mike B ( Piet N687MB)________________________________________________________________________________