Pietenpol-List: FW: corvair fishing

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: FW: corvair fishing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: docshop(at)prodigy.net
Thanks Doc,This is exactly what I needed. ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: corvair fishing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
dominic:Call William Wynne at(904) 426-6028 in Port Orange Florida. He can helpyou.As Bill says in his "Corvair Conversion Information Pack": - - - - - - - - - -Points and Concdenser: Use AC or Echlin (NAPA) standard points. (Theheavey duty points have a high spring tension, which is not necessary atrpms below 4000.)Cap and Rotor: Echlin RR1820 and RR1830 are respectively very high qualitybrass contacts. These come from NAPA stores. (Do not settle for the RR182or RR183, these are the standard ones.)Coil: I use Accel super stock coils. This and mamy other 12 volt coilsmust have a ballast resitor in the current circuit so that the coil gets 12volts to start, but only 6 volts to run. This is mandatory. The stock GMcoils have a special resitance wire in the harness to perform this function.Remember to put AN365 nylon lock nuts on the electrical connections to thecoil.Distributor and timing: When someone tells me that his Corvair is notmaking the proper power it should, my first suspicion is the timing. Manypeople set the timing at idle and leave it. This is not good enough. Youmust know how much ignition advance you set at the rpm you will be flyingthe engine.After 30 or so years of service, most Corvair distributors are tired. Mostof the Corvair parts houses sell remanufactured distributors with the Dalebrand points plate. I highly recommend these. (When the top bushing isworn out on the distrubutor the dwell will change as it runs, and will wearthe cap and rotor.) You cannot expect reliable performance from a worndistrubutor. The old distributors have a tendency to have sticky mechanicaladvances.When setting up the distributor for your engine, remove the vacuum advance.This advances the timing when the engine is at high rpm but at low load.This condition does not apply to airplanes with fixed pitch props where agiven rpm will produce nearly the same load. Lock down the points plate soit cannot move. Mark the balancer at 34 degrees...this in now you timing"RedLine." (sic) This must be done with a certain degree of precision.Detonation could result from having the timing advanced more. Use lightweight springs on the mechanical advance weights. You want all the advanceby 2000 rpm. When you run the engine, watch the advance work with a timinglight. Work on the mechanical advance if you are not getting full advance.For hand prop engines, I set the distrubutor at 8 degrees static, and makesure it will advance to 32-34 degrees. On electric start engines, set thestatic at 12 degrees and make sure it will advance to 32-34 degrees. Thisis very important. Without full advance, your engine will not make fullpower. - - - - - - - - - -Hope this is of lome help to you. Pictures were great!Doc Mosher - Neenah WIdocshop(at)prodigy.net________________________________________________________________________________