Pietenpol-List: Cross Countries in a Piet

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Cross Countries in a Piet

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC"
>Seventeen gallons of fuel will probably keep you in the air>longer than you want to be. You'll find that as you get older>your bladder requires relief on a little more regular basis.>How far have folks traveled in Piets.Mike Bell- You've got that right ! Especially after coffee.I just have the extra fuel in case I land somewhere and theyeither don't have fuel or are gone for the day. Kind of a buffertoo for absent-mindedness. (from which I suffer time to time) Most of my Piet flying is very local. 20 min. after work, hoppingthe 10-15 min. rides, etc... but when it comes to cross country inthe Piet it can be tiring. Turbulence and headwinds are the mostfatiuging to me. It's just not as easy read the sectionals, fold them,keep altitude. On smoother days with light winds cross countriesare mindless, relaxing, and just fun. The open cockpit environmentcan really dry your eyes out and on windy dusty days can really causeirritation if you don't at least wear sunglasses, if not goggles. A good windscreen helps reduce fatigue. Now when I fly a Champor Cub I feel wierd because there is no wind. Oh, yes....I have gottensome sunburn too on my neck and arms flying the Piet. My trip to Osh was about 550 miles and door to door it took 12 hoursw/ 5 stops and terrible headwinds. Going home it took only about 9 hrs.Mike C. Seventeen gallons of fuel will probably keep you in the airlonger than you want to be. You'll find that as you getolderyour bladder requires relief on a little more regular basis.How far have folks traveled in Piets.Mike Bell- You've got that right ! Especially aftercoffee.I just have the extra fuel in case I land somewhere and theyeither don't have fuel or are gone for the day. Kind of abuffertoo for absent-mindedness. (from which I suffer time to time) Most of my Piet flying is very local. 20 min.after work, hoppingthe 10-15 min. rides, etc... but when it comes to cross country inthe Piet it can be tiring. Turbulence and headwinds are themostfatiuging to me. It's just not as easy read the sectionals, foldthem,keep altitude. On smoother days with light winds crosscountriesare mindless, relaxing, and just fun. The open cockpitenvironmentcan really dry your eyes out and on windy dusty days can reallycauseirritation if you don't at least wear sunglasses, if not goggles.A good windscreen helps reduce fatigue. Now when I fly aChampor Cub I feel wierd because there is no wind. Oh, yes....I havegottensome sunburn too on my neck and arms flying the Piet. My trip to Osh was about 550 miles and door todoor it took 12 hoursw/ 5 stops and terrible headwinds. Going home it took only about 9hrs.Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Cross Countries in a Piet

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Brusilow
I did a XC to Price UT on monday. Highest peak was 9200' flew up to 10500.Not exactly low and slow, but it was cold, high and slow. Still beat thetraffic speeds however due to the windy canyon roads. 1.5hrs in a car and.9 in a piet! There is much more to this story, and I'll be posting itsoon. HINT has to do with small town cops and landing on county roads and apopped brake line. (oh yah, my smoke system too...)Stay tuned.Steve EldredgeIT ServicesBrigham Young University> -----Original Message-----> Craig Lawler> Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 1999 3:16 PM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Re: Cross Countries in a Piet>>> I flew my Piet to Beaver Springs last week. About 30m SW of> us. Longest> cross country. Took the PA roadmap so I wouldn't get too lost. Gets> boring flying a Piet in a straight line for more than 10 min or so.>> Craig>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Cross Countries in a Piet

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"I flew my Piet to Beaver Springs last week. About 30m SW of us. Longestcross country. Took the PA roadmap so I wouldn't get too lost. Getsboring flying a Piet in a straight line for more than 10 min or so.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Craig Lawler
Craig:If you're from PA, our EAA chapter is having a fly-in on June 6 all day and would be very pleased if you flew up. We are GKJ, in Meadville PA and I would be extremely happy to see your Piet because I'm building one. I'll buy your (and guest) breakfast and gas if you come.Thanks, Doug>From: Craig Lawler >Reply-To: Pietenpol Discussion >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Subject: Re: Cross Countries in a Piet>Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:15:49 -0500>>I flew my Piet to Beaver Springs last week. About 30m SW of us. Longest>cross country. Took the PA roadmap so I wouldn't get too lost. Gets>boring flying a Piet in a straight line for more than 10 min or so.>>Craig>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
>Doug,>>June 6th sounds interesting. I better get a new road map and watch the>weather. If you are over this way, Milton Pa, let me know and we'll go>for a ride.>>Craig>Craig- If you go, I'll go. :))) Really, if the weather is good, itwould be neat to have two Piets there...plus get to meet you.Mike C. Doug,June 6th sounds interesting. I better get a new road map and watchtheweather. If you are over this way, Milton Pa, let me know and we'llgofor a ride.CraigCraig- If you go, I'll go. :))) Really, if the weather isgood, itwould be neat to have two Piets there...plus get to meet you.Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"Doug,June 6th sounds interesting. I better get a new road map and watch theweather. If you are over this way, Milton Pa, let me know and we'll gofor a ride.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"Mike,How far is Meadville from you?Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: bowdler(at)juno.com
>Mike,>>How far is Meadville from you?>>Craig>Craig- I think it would be about an hour and 1/2 flight orso, but I'll have to check the charts (excuse me, road maps:)))before I know for sure.How far are you ?ps- I cruise about 74 mph.Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dannymac
Sheet Metal??? Does that mean that the plywood on the planshas nothing to do with the structural integrity and I can usemarine plywood or "sheet metal" if I want???? What is thesheet metal, light gauge aluminum? How much weight savings doyou get over plywood?Mike BellColumbia, SCCraig Lawler on 05/21/99 11:41:25 AMPlease respond to Pietenpol Discussion cc:Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Cross Countries in a PietMike C.AirNav says we are 166m from Meadville. Might have to fudge andtape theGarman 90 antenna to my tail cone. Won't work in the cockpitbecause mycenter section is covered with sheet metal.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mike Bell
x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"Mike C.AirNav says we are 166m from Meadville. Might have to fudge and tape theGarman 90 antenna to my tail cone. Won't work in the cockpit because mycenter section is covered with sheet metal.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Mike, i see your cruise is 74 MPH. On my first flight I acchieved 60 Kts.that 69.9 MPH, maybe I'm in the ball park? I would be slower since I have alonger wing span.Domenic ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Michael D Cuy
Right in the ballpark. I cruise 72-74mph on the GPS. A realy screamer!Steve EldredgeIT ServicesBrigham Young University> -----Original Message-----> BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC> Sent: Friday, May 21, 1999 11:12 AM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Re: Cross Countries in a Piet> > > Mike, i see your cruise is 74 MPH. On my first flight I > acchieved 60 Kts.> that 69.9 MPH, maybe I'm in the ball park? I would be slower > since I have a> longer wing span.> Domenic> ----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

>Mike,>>How far is Meadville from you?>>Craig>Craig- I think it would be about an hour and 1/2 flight orso, but I'll have to check the charts (excuse me, road maps:)))before I know for sure.How far are you ?ps- I cruise about 74 mph.Mike C.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mike Lund
> > >Mike,> >> >How far is Meadville from you?> >> >Craig> >> Craig- I think it would be about an hour and 1/2 flight or> so, but I'll have to check the charts (excuse me, road maps:)))> before I know for sure.> > How far are you ?> > ps- I cruise about 74 mph.> > Mike C.> ________________________________________________________________________________