Pietenpol-List: "A" Overhaul

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: "A" Overhaul

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Earl Myers [SMTP:allaire(at)raex.com]
Subject: Pietenpol-List: RE: "A" OverhaulThanks Earl, for the info and suggestions. That is ideed the way that I amleaning. A parts supplier told me that the "Brumfield head" was not the wayto go. He said it was too inconsistent from cylinder to cylinder. Hesuggested just machining the stock head surface and possibly the blocksurface, which would knock off enough to raise compression with out changinganything else. What are your thoughts about that? I would be grateful ifanyone could give me a source for the aluminum head. Thanks again.chad-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Lightsey, Mark - TP2MAL [SMTP:MLightsey(at)socalgas.com]
Subject: Pietenpol-List: "A" OverhaulMy A is disassembled on my bench just waiting for reconstructive surgery. Iam needing advice as to how to overhaul. Looking for thoughts on whether torebuild as "stock" or should I modify some things such as 351 pistions,different carb etc. I have a perfectly good block, head, zenith carb andintake, crank and cam. Is it worth trying to get a few more horses byboring, counter weighting, polishing etc.???? All comments are welcome.Thanks.Chad-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Pietenpol-List: "A" OverhaulMy A is disassembled on my bench just waiting for reconstructivesurgery. Iam needing advice as to how to overhaul. Looking for thoughts onwhether torebuild as "stock" or should I modify some things such as 351 pistions,different carb etc. I have a perfectly good block, head, zenith carbandintake, crank and cam. Is it worth trying to get a few more horses byboring, counter weighting, polishing etc.???? All comments are welcome.Thanks.Chad-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Pietenpol-List: "A" OverhaulMy A is disassembled on my bench just waiting for reconstructive surgery. Iam needing advice as to how to overhaul. Looking for thoughts on whether torebuild as "stock" or should I modify some things such as 351 pistions,different carb etc. I have a perfectly good block, head, zenith carb andintake, crank and cam. Is it worth trying to get a few more horses byboring, counter weighting, polishing etc.???? All comments are welcome.Thanks.Chad-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

My A is disassembled on my bench just waiting for reconstructivesurgery. I am needing advice as to how to overhaul. Looking forthoughts on whether to rebuild as "stock" or should I modify some thingssuch as 351 pistions, different carb etc. I have a perfectly goodblock, head, zenith carb and intake, crank and cam. Is it worth tryingto get a few more horses by boring, counter weighting, polishingetc.???? All comments are welcome. Thanks.Chad-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: "A" Overhaul

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Chad Johnson
Sir; I would suggest just putting a 5.9 to 6.0:1 Aluminum or "stock" head on thecritter, assemble it and go fly. There are several sources for these heads.If you don't know Model A engines A to Z, I wouldn't go any farther than theslightly higher head. There are numerous Piets flying with these heads. The"A"'s flying (2?) with hopped up engines are a tinkerer's delight! One thatI know of is a test bed for soup ups. You want to fly reliably or tinkercontinuosly................?Earl MyersPS: I subscribe to a Ford A racing magazine (SOSS). You can't believe thepower you can get from a "A" or "B" when souped up in those race cars but,they play with them constantly, tweaking and whatnot............go easy, gostock, get bored, soup up.-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: "A" Overhaul

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Earl Myers [SMTP:allaire(at)raex.com]
Thanks Earl, for the info and suggestions. That is ideed the way that Iam leaning. A parts supplier told me that the "Brumfield head" was notthe way to go. He said it was too inconsistent from cylinder tocylinder. He suggested just machining the stock head surface andpossibly the block surface, which would knock off enough to raisecompression with out changing anything else. What are your thoughtsabout that? I would be grateful if anyone could give me a source forthe aluminum head. Thanks again.chad-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Chad Johnson
Chad; I have heard good and bad about the Brumfield Head ref theinconsistantcies..........I will dig up my Aluminun Head supplier (named...Price in Columbus, Ohio & was building a Scout too).Suggest you don't mill the block! This might make your pistons come up toor higher than the top of the block. My head came with a warning to makesure that this condition doesn't occur!There has been a trend to stick with steel or stock heads slightly milled toget better compression. The 15# difference in weight just has to beoverlooked.....Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Chad Johnson
Could you post your Aluminun Head supplier to the list? I want to addit to AirCamper.org's supplier list too. Thanks!--- Earl Myers wrote:> Chad;> I have heard good and bad about the Brumfield Head ref the> inconsistantcies..........I will dig up my Aluminun Head supplier> (named> ...Price in Columbus, Ohio & was building a Scout too).> Suggest you don't mill the block! This might make your pistons come> up to> or higher than the top of the block. My head came with a warning to> make> sure that this condition doesn't occur!> There has been a trend to stick with steel or stock heads slightly> milled to> get better compression. The 15# difference in weight just has to be> overlooked.....> Earl Myers> -----Original Message-----
matronics

> RE: "A" Overhaul

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Earl Myers [SMTP:allaire(at)raex.com]
> Subject: RE: "A" Overhaul> > > Thanks Earl, for the info and suggestions. That is ideed the way> that I am> leaning. A parts supplier told me that the "Brumfield head" was not> the way> to go. He said it was too inconsistent from cylinder to cylinder. > He> suggested just machining the stock head surface and possibly the> block> surface, which would knock off enough to raise compression with out> changing> anything else. What are your thoughts about that? I would be> grateful if> anyone could give me a source for the aluminum head. Thanks again.> > chad> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

> "A" Overhaul

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Lightsey, Mark - TP2MAL [SMTP:MLightsey(at)socalgas.com]
> Subject: "A" Overhaul> > > My A is disassembled on my bench just waiting for reconstructive> surgery. I> am needing advice as to how to overhaul. Looking for thoughts on> whether to> rebuild as "stock" or should I modify some things such as 351> pistions,> different carb etc. I have a perfectly good block, head, zenith carb> and> intake, crank and cam. Is it worth trying to get a few more horses> by> boring, counter weighting, polishing etc.???? All comments are> welcome.> Thanks.> Chad> > -----Original Message-----