Pietenpol-List: Ford Power

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Ford Power

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Bill Talbert
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Ford Power>Makes me glad the my 'A' guy is only 8 miles from me. I plan on>spending lots of time there getting to know his work and my engine.>>> than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to>> snuggle up to>> your>> local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST>> knowledgeable A>> rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you>> out.>>>> Mike C.>>>>>Hey, I didn't mean to condem all A engines. >Mike B ( Piet N687MB )>Guys- Mike is right here. An A is no different from any other>engine.....if it's got>internal problems you don't know about or it's supposedly rebuilt and>ready to go, >but not really,...etc. you'll have problems. Frank Pavliga and>his>father had several>forced landings with Sky Gypsy before they pulled the Ford out and put>in>a >Continental. Go figure. Now Wilbur Graff has an A also with>a>Funk head and >that guy has cruised all over the place, from Ohio to Brodhead/Osh many>times>in the last 4 years or so with not so much as a hiccup. I>certainly>don't know squat>about Ford A engines (besides they sound incredibly sweet>swinging>a propeller)>but my gut feeling is that knowledgeable aircraft engine rebuilders are>more abundant>than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to>snuggle up to your>local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST>knowledgeable A>rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you>out.>>Mike C. >>>===>My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder>....Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be atrest. -Psalm 55:6>--------------------------------------------------------->Visit www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!>--------------------------------------------------------->____>Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jmcnarry(at)techplus.com (John McNarry)
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Ford Power>Makes me glad the my 'A' guy is only 8 miles from me. I plan on>spending lots of time there getting to know his work and my engine.>>> than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to>> snuggle up to>> your>> local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST>> knowledgeable A>> rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you>> out.>>>> Mike C.>>>>>Hey, I didn't mean to condem all A engines. >Mike B ( Piet N687MB )>Guys- Mike is right here. An A is no different from any other>engine.....if it's got>internal problems you don't know about or it's supposedly rebuilt and>ready to go, >but not really,...etc. you'll have problems. Frank Pavliga and>his>father had several>forced landings with Sky Gypsy before they pulled the Ford out and put>in>a >Continental. Go figure. Now Wilbur Graff has an A also with>a>Funk head and >that guy has cruised all over the place, from Ohio to Brodhead/Osh many>times>in the last 4 years or so with not so much as a hiccup. I>certainly>don't know squat>about Ford A engines (besides they sound incredibly sweet>swinging>a propeller)>but my gut feeling is that knowledgeable aircraft engine rebuilders are>more abundant>than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to>snuggle up to your>local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST>knowledgeable A>rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you>out.>>Mike C. >>>===>My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder>....Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be atrest. -Psalm 55:6>--------------------------------------------------------->Visit www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!>--------------------------------------------------------->____>Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Ford Power>Makes me glad the my 'A' guy is only 8 miles from me. I plan on>spending lots of time there getting to know his work and my engine.>>> than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to>> snuggle up to>> your>> local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST>> knowledgeable A>> rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you>> out.>>>> Mike C.>>>>>Hey, I didn't mean to condem all A engines. >Mike B ( Piet N687MB )>Guys- Mike is right here. An A is no different from any other>engine.....if it's got>internal problems you don't know about or it's supposedly rebuilt and>ready to go, >but not really,...etc. you'll have problems. Frank Pavliga and>his>father had several>forced landings with Sky Gypsy before they pulled the Ford out and put>in>a >Continental. Go figure. Now Wilbur Graff has an A also with>a>Funk head and >that guy has cruised all over the place, from Ohio to Brodhead/Osh many>times>in the last 4 years or so with not so much as a hiccup. I>certainly>don't know squat>about Ford A engines (besides they sound incredibly sweet>swinging>a propeller)>but my gut feeling is that knowledgeable aircraft engine rebuilders are>more abundant>than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to>snuggle up to your>local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST>knowledgeable A>rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you>out.>>Mike C. >>>===>My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder>....Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be atrest. -Psalm 55:6>--------------------------------------------------------->Visit www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!>--------------------------------------------------------->____>Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Wayne and Kathy
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Ford Power>Makes me glad the my 'A' guy is only 8 miles from me. I plan on>spending lots of time there getting to know his work and my engine.>>> than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to>> snuggle up to>> your>> local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST>> knowledgeable A>> rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you>> out.>>>> Mike C.>>>>>Hey, I didn't mean to condem all A engines. >Mike B ( Piet N687MB )>Guys- Mike is right here. An A is no different from any other>engine.....if it's got>internal problems you don't know about or it's supposedly rebuilt and>ready to go, >but not really,...etc. you'll have problems. Frank Pavliga and>his>father had several>forced landings with Sky Gypsy before they pulled the Ford out and put>in>a >Continental. Go figure. Now Wilbur Graff has an A also with>a>Funk head and >that guy has cruised all over the place, from Ohio to Brodhead/Osh many>times>in the last 4 years or so with not so much as a hiccup. I>certainly>don't know squat>about Ford A engines (besides they sound incredibly sweet>swinging>a propeller)>but my gut feeling is that knowledgeable aircraft engine rebuilders are>more abundant>than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to>snuggle up to your>local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST>knowledgeable A>rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you>out.>>Mike C. >>>===>My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder>....Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be atrest. -Psalm 55:6>--------------------------------------------------------->Visit www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!>--------------------------------------------------------->____>Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Ford Power

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Richard DeCosta
>>> > Hey, I didn't mean to condem all A engines. > Mike B ( Piet N687MB )Guys- Mike is right here. An A is no different from any other engine.....ifit's gotinternal problems you don't know about or it's supposedly rebuilt and ready togo, but not really,...etc. you'll have problems. Frank Pavliga and his father hadseveralforced landings with Sky Gypsy before they pulled the Ford out and put in a Continental. Go figure. Now Wilbur Graff has an A also with a Funk head and that guy has cruised all over the place, from Ohio to Brodhead/Osh many timesin the last 4 years or so with not so much as a hiccup. I certainly don't knowsquatabout Ford A engines (besides they sound incredibly sweet swinging apropeller)but my gut feeling is that knowledgeable aircraft engine rebuilders are moreabundantthan knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to snuggle up toyourlocal Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST knowledgeable Arebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you out.Mike C. Hey, I didn't mean to condem all A engines. Mike B ( Piet N687MB )Guys- Mike is right here. An A is no different from any otherengine.....if it's gotinternal problems you don't know about or it's supposedly rebuilt andready to go, but not really,...etc. you'll have problems. Frank Pavliga and hisfather had severalforced landings with Sky Gypsy before they pulled the Ford out and put ina Continental. Go figure. Now Wilbur Graff has an A also with aFunk head and that guy has cruised all over the place, from Ohio to Brodhead/Osh manytimesin the last 4 years or so with not so much as a hiccup. I certainlydon't know squatabout Ford A engines (besides they sound incredibly sweet swinginga propeller)but my gut feeling is that knowledgeable aircraft engine rebuilders aremore abundantthan knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have tosnuggle up to yourlocal Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOSTknowledgeable Arebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots youout.Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Joe Krzes
Makes me glad the my 'A' guy is only 8 miles from me. I plan onspending lots of time there getting to know his work and my engine.> than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to> snuggle up to> your> local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST> knowledgeable A> rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you> out.> > Mike C. > Hey, I didn't mean to condem all A engines. Mike B ( Piet N687MB )Guys- Mike is right here. An A is no different from any otherengine.....if it's gotinternal problems you don't know about or it's supposedly rebuilt andready to go, but not really,...etc. you'll have problems. Frank Pavliga andhisfather had severalforced landings with Sky Gypsy before they pulled the Ford out and putina Continental. Go figure. Now Wilbur Graff has an A also withaFunk head and that guy has cruised all over the place, from Ohio to Brodhead/Osh manytimesin the last 4 years or so with not so much as a hiccup. Icertainlydon't know squatabout Ford A engines (besides they sound incredibly sweetswinginga propeller)but my gut feeling is that knowledgeable aircraft engine rebuilders aremore abundantthan knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have tosnuggle up to yourlocal Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOSTknowledgeable Arebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots youout.Mike C. ===My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder....Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest.-Psalm 55:6---------------------------------------------------------Visit www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!---------------------------------------------------------____Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Reference the Pavliga's Ford engine problems, Their engine turned out to NOTto have been "set-up" right. It had a way high compression head which causedthe pistons to burn and break and the other failure was the waterpump.......outside of that, the Ford hummed along and was very easy tostart.Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Does anyone have a suggestion on how much advance to run on the Model A.Right now I'm using about 25 degrees BTDC. This is very convenient since mymag has 25 degrees of lag on the impulse. Very easy to start with nokicking back. I just installed a 6:1 Brumfield head in place of a "wayhigh" compression aluminum head. I'm now able to turn about 1850 static witha 74"x52" Felix prop. The funny thing is, by time the throttle is about 3/4of the way in, I've reached the maximum rpm. The last 1/4 of throttletravel has no effect. Any thoughts...-----Original Message-----Sent: Thursday, May 20, 1999 10:17 AMSubject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Ford PowerReference the Pavliga's Ford engine problems, Their engine turned out to NOTto have been "set-up" right. It had a way high compression head which causedthe pistons to burn and break and the other failure was the waterpump.......outside of that, the Ford hummed along and was very easy tostart.Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

> Re: Ford Power

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael King
> Subject: Re: Ford Power> > > >Makes me glad the my 'A' guy is only 8 miles from me. I plan on> >spending lots of time there getting to know his work and my engine.> >> >> than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have to> >> snuggle up to> >> your> >> local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST> >> knowledgeable A> >> rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots> you> >> out.> >>> >> Mike C.> >>> >> >> >> >> >Hey, I didn't mean to condem all A engines. > >Mike B ( Piet N687MB )> >Guys- Mike is right here. An A is no different from any> other> >engine.....if it's got> >internal problems you don't know about or it's supposedly rebuilt> and> >ready to go, > >but not really,...etc. you'll have problems. Frank Pavliga and> >his> >father had several> >forced landings with Sky Gypsy before they pulled the Ford out and> put> >in> >a > >Continental. Go figure. Now Wilbur Graff has an A also> with> >a> >Funk head and > >that guy has cruised all over the place, from Ohio to Brodhead/Osh> many> >times> >in the last 4 years or so with not so much as a hiccup. I> >certainly> >don't know squat> >about Ford A engines (besides they sound incredibly sweet> >swinging> >a propeller)> >but my gut feeling is that knowledgeable aircraft engine rebuilders> are> >more abundant> >than knowledgeable Ford A engine gurus. I think you just have> to> >snuggle up to your> >local Model A Ford CAR club near you and find out who the MOST> >knowledgeable A> >rebuild guy is in the area, then go pick his brain till he boots you> >out.> >> >Mike C. > >> >> >> >===> >My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder> >....Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and> be at> rest. -Psalm 55:6> >---------------------------------------------------------> >Visit www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!> >---------------------------------------------------------> >____> >Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com> >> > > > ==="Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe to fly? Just howin the world do you think it got to be this old?" - Jim Tavenner---------------------------------------------------------Visit www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!---------------------------------------------------------My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder_____ ... __________