Pietenpol-List: OLD TIMERS

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Eugene Hubbard
Subject: Pietenpol-List: OLD TIMERS>I need some help from the old timers! Always on the lookout for>potential Model A parts,>I found and bought a doodlebug with a running flathead 4 in it. When the>guy said "let's see>if it runs" I thought he was kidding. A couple of minutes fiddling with>the points and boom>bang it was coughing. After it ejected a mouse nest (complete with>owners) it ran fairly well.>I need help identifying this engine. I know that is not an Ford "A" or>"B".> As I said earlier it is a flathead 4. Probably the most unique>feature of this engine is the>water pump drive. The water pump is located at the RH lower rear of the>engine and driven>via an extension shaft from the back of the gear driven generator. The>block is very similar>to an "A" in that the cylinders can be seen in the casting. The valve>cover is a two pc. affair>held with a wingnut. The distributor is top mounted through the head.> I have no intentions of running this thing in a Piet. but am curious>as to what it is. Any>help in identifying the engine would be greatly appreciated.>>Mike Cushway>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: DonanClara(at)aol.com
I need some help from the old timers! Always on the lookout forpotential Model A parts,I found and bought a doodlebug with a running flathead 4 in it. When theguy said "let's seeif it runs" I thought he was kidding. A couple of minutes fiddling withthe points and boombang it was coughing. After it ejected a mouse nest (complete withowners) it ran fairly well.I need help identifying this engine. I know that is not an Ford "A" or"B". As I said earlier it is a flathead 4. Probably the most uniquefeature of this engine is thewater pump drive. The water pump is located at the RH lower rear of theengine and drivenvia an extension shaft from the back of the gear driven generator. Theblock is very similarto an "A" in that the cylinders can be seen in the casting. The valvecover is a two pc. affairheld with a wingnut. The distributor is top mounted through the head. I have no intentions of running this thing in a Piet. but am curiousas to what it is. Anyhelp in identifying the engine would be greatly appreciated.Mike Cushway________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: OLD TIMERS

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mike cushway
Mike; I have been looking for a doodlebug for a long time, gave up and wascollecting parts to build one...........Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> Earl Myers
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OLD TIMERS>A doodlebug was a poor mans tractor. More often than not it was a hackedup,>shortened>Ford Model A with a heavier truck rear axle (lower ratio). Sears actuallysold>"kits" to>convert Model A's. My dad says that in the 30's you could buy a runningModel>A for $15.>Tractor or truck tires, a set of chains and Viola, you have a Doodlebug. AsI>said earlier>a good percentage were Model A's and hence the reason for looking. When I>first looked at>this one, I thought that I had lucked into a "B" engine. As it turns out, I>don't know what I>have. The rear end in mine is from a 1929 International Six Speed Special>(3spd. tranny>and 2spd. rear end).>>John Greenlee wrote:>>> WHATTHAHECKISA Doodlebug?>>>> John>>>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Earl Myers
WHATTHAHECKISA Doodlebug?John-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Greenlee
Sir; ....a "doodlebug" was a conversion of a stock Model A Ford car into atractor or in this case an aircraft "tug". Mainly an A frame was shortenedat the rear so that the rear axle was located right under the front seat.The body aft of the doors was discarded as was the fenders, sometimes adding"tub" looking sheetmetal fenders. The front fenders were usually removed aswell. What you had was the rad, lights , hood ,cowl, windshield, and frontseat in the stock frame except shortened as above. Many engines were used,usually with two x missions, the last one bolting to the pumpkin which washard mounted as well. Some had dual tyres on the rear and smaller frontrims/tyres. I had run accrossed 7 of them, always too late to get them, mostbeing sought after for their A parts. I want 1 or 2 for the growingcollection of "Things Old" around here in the "Tug" mode. There werenumerous versions of these 'bugs as A's were laying about everywhere, kaput,during the depression. I had seen a picture of one with the dual tyressitting next to a BNO-65 both painted blue and taken sometime during earlyWW2 as noted by the blue/yellow/red-white stripped planes in the background,maybe somewhat pre-war.Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Earl Myers
A doodlebug was a poor mans tractor. More often than not it was a hacked up,shortenedFord Model A with a heavier truck rear axle (lower ratio). Sears actually sold"kits" toconvert Model A's. My dad says that in the 30's you could buy a running ModelA for $15.Tractor or truck tires, a set of chains and Viola, you have a Doodlebug. As Isaid earliera good percentage were Model A's and hence the reason for looking. When Ifirst looked atthis one, I thought that I had lucked into a "B" engine. As it turns out, Idon't know what Ihave. The rear end in mine is from a 1929 International Six Speed Special(3spd. trannyand 2spd. rear end).John Greenlee wrote:> WHATTHAHECKISA Doodlebug?>> John>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Re: OLD TIMERS

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>> Earl Myers
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OLD TIMERS>What part of the world are you from?>Earl Myers>-----Original Message----->From: mike cushway >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 5:51 PM>Subject: Re: OLD TIMERS>>>>A doodlebug was a poor mans tractor. More often than not it was a hacked>up,>>shortened>>Ford Model A with a heavier truck rear axle (lower ratio). Sears actually>sold>>"kits" to>>convert Model A's. My dad says that in the 30's you could buy a running>Model>>A for $15.>>Tractor or truck tires, a set of chains and Viola, you have a Doodlebug.As>I>>said earlier>>a good percentage were Model A's and hence the reason for looking. When I>>first looked at>>this one, I thought that I had lucked into a "B" engine. As it turns out,I>>don't know what I>>have. The rear end in mine is from a 1929 International Six Speed Special>>(3spd. tranny>>and 2spd. rear end).>>>>John Greenlee wrote:>>>>> WHATTHAHECKISA Doodlebug?>>>>>> John>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

>> Re: OLD TIMERS

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>>> Earl Myers
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OLD TIMERS>Who, Me or Mike?>>JMG>-----Original Message----->From: Earl Myers >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Wednesday, June 30, 1999 9:40 AM>Subject: Re: OLD TIMERS>>>>What part of the world are you from?>>Earl Myers>>-----Original Message----->>From: mike cushway >>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>Date: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 5:51 PM>>Subject: Re: OLD TIMERS>>>>>>>A doodlebug was a poor mans tractor. More often than not it was a hacked>>up,>>>shortened>>>Ford Model A with a heavier truck rear axle (lower ratio). Sears actually>>sold>>>"kits" to>>>convert Model A's. My dad says that in the 30's you could buy a running>>Model>>>A for $15.>>>Tractor or truck tires, a set of chains and Viola, you have a Doodlebug.>As>>I>>>said earlier>>>a good percentage were Model A's and hence the reason for looking. When I>>>first looked at>>>this one, I thought that I had lucked into a "B" engine. As it turns out,>I>>>don't know what I>>>have. The rear end in mine is from a 1929 International Six Speed Special>>>(3spd. tranny>>>and 2spd. rear end).>>>>>>John Greenlee wrote:>>>>>>> WHATTHAHECKISA Doodlebug?>>>>>>>> John>>>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mike cushway
What part of the world are you from?Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Earl Myers
Who, Me or Mike?JMG-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Mike with the Doodlebug, where ya from? (or living at now)-----Original Message-----
matronics

> > OLD TIMERS

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Hannan
> Subject: Re: OLD TIMERS>> >Mike;> > I have been looking for a doodlebug for a long time, gave up and was> >collecting parts to build one...........> >Earl Myers> >-----Original Message-----> >From: mike cushway > >To: Pietenpol Discussion > >Date: Monday, June 28, 1999 8:51 PM> >Subject: OLD TIMERS> >> >> >>I need some help from the old timers! Always on the lookout for> >>potential Model A parts,> >>I found and bought a doodlebug with a running flathead 4 in it. When the> >>guy said "let's see> >>if it runs" I thought he was kidding. A couple of minutes fiddling with> >>the points and boom> >>bang it was coughing. After it ejected a mouse nest (complete with> >>owners) it ran fairly well.> >>I need help identifying this engine. I know that is not an Ford "A" or> >>"B".> >> As I said earlier it is a flathead 4. Probably the most unique> >>feature of this engine is the> >>water pump drive. The water pump is located at the RH lower rear of the> >>engine and driven> >>via an extension shaft from the back of the gear driven generator. The> >>block is very similar> >>to an "A" in that the cylinders can be seen in the casting. The valve> >>cover is a two pc. affair> >>held with a wingnut. The distributor is top mounted through the head.> >> I have no intentions of running this thing in a Piet. but am curious> >>as to what it is. Any> >>help in identifying the engine would be greatly appreciated.> >>> >>Mike Cushway> >>> >>> >> >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> > OLD TIMERS

Post by matronics »

>> Subject: Re: OLD TIMERS>>>> >Mike;>> > I have been looking for a doodlebug for a long time, gave up and was>> >collecting parts to build one...........>> >Earl Myers>> >-----Original Message----->> >From: mike cushway >> >To: Pietenpol Discussion >> >Date: Monday, June 28, 1999 8:51 PM>> >Subject: OLD TIMERS>> >>> >>> >>I need some help from the old timers! Always on the lookout for>> >>potential Model A parts,>> >>I found and bought a doodlebug with a running flathead 4 in it. Whenthe>> >>guy said "let's see>> >>if it runs" I thought he was kidding. A couple of minutes fiddling with>> >>the points and boom>> >>bang it was coughing. After it ejected a mouse nest (complete with>> >>owners) it ran fairly well.>> >>I need help identifying this engine. I know that is not an Ford "A" or>> >>"B".>> >> As I said earlier it is a flathead 4. Probably the most unique>> >>feature of this engine is the>> >>water pump drive. The water pump is located at the RH lower rear of the>> >>engine and driven>> >>via an extension shaft from the back of the gear driven generator. The>> >>block is very similar>> >>to an "A" in that the cylinders can be seen in the casting. The valve>> >>cover is a two pc. affair>> >>held with a wingnut. The distributor is top mounted through the head.>> >> I have no intentions of running this thing in a Piet. but amcurious>> >>as to what it is. Any>> >>help in identifying the engine would be greatly appreciated.>> >>>> >>Mike Cushway>> >>>> >>>> >>> >>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>>> > OLD TIMERS

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Hannan
>>> Subject: Re: OLD TIMERS>>>>>> >Mike;>>> > I have been looking for a doodlebug for a long time, gave up and was>>> >collecting parts to build one...........>>> >Earl Myers>>> >-----Original Message----->>> >From: mike cushway >>> >To: Pietenpol Discussion >>> >Date: Monday, June 28, 1999 8:51 PM>>> >Subject: OLD TIMERS>>> >>>> >>>> >>I need some help from the old timers! Always on the lookout for>>> >>potential Model A parts,>>> >>I found and bought a doodlebug with a running flathead 4 in it. When>the>>> >>guy said "let's see>>> >>if it runs" I thought he was kidding. A couple of minutes fiddlingwith>>> >>the points and boom>>> >>bang it was coughing. After it ejected a mouse nest (complete with>>> >>owners) it ran fairly well.>>> >>I need help identifying this engine. I know that is not an Ford "A" or>>> >>"B".>>> >> As I said earlier it is a flathead 4. Probably the most unique>>> >>feature of this engine is the>>> >>water pump drive. The water pump is located at the RH lower rear ofthe>>> >>engine and driven>>> >>via an extension shaft from the back of the gear driven generator. The>>> >>block is very similar>>> >>to an "A" in that the cylinders can be seen in the casting. The valve>>> >>cover is a two pc. affair>>> >>held with a wingnut. The distributor is top mounted through the head.>>> >> I have no intentions of running this thing in a Piet. but am>curious>>> >>as to what it is. Any>>> >>help in identifying the engine would be greatly appreciated.>>> >>>>> >>Mike Cushway>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>> >>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>>>> > OLD TIMERS

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: robert hensarling
>>>> Subject: Re: OLD TIMERS>>>>>>>> >Mike;>>>> > I have been looking for a doodlebug for a long time, gave up and was>>>> >collecting parts to build one...........>>>> >Earl Myers>>>> >-----Original Message----->>>> >From: mike cushway >>>> >To: Pietenpol Discussion >>>> >Date: Monday, June 28, 1999 8:51 PM>>>> >Subject: OLD TIMERS>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>I need some help from the old timers! Always on the lookout for>>>> >>potential Model A parts,>>>> >>I found and bought a doodlebug with a running flathead 4 in it. When>>the>>>> >>guy said "let's see>>>> >>if it runs" I thought he was kidding. A couple of minutes fiddling>with>>>> >>the points and boom>>>> >>bang it was coughing. After it ejected a mouse nest (complete with>>>> >>owners) it ran fairly well.>>>> >>I need help identifying this engine. I know that is not an Ford "A"or>>>> >>"B".>>>> >> As I said earlier it is a flathead 4. Probably the most unique>>>> >>feature of this engine is the>>>> >>water pump drive. The water pump is located at the RH lower rear of>the>>>> >>engine and driven>>>> >>via an extension shaft from the back of the gear driven generator.The>>>> >>block is very similar>>>> >>to an "A" in that the cylinders can be seen in the casting. The valve>>>> >>cover is a two pc. affair>>>> >>held with a wingnut. The distributor is top mounted through the head.>>>> >> I have no intentions of running this thing in a Piet. but am>>curious>>>> >>as to what it is. Any>>>> >>help in identifying the engine would be greatly appreciated.>>>> >>>>>> >>Mike Cushway>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________