Pietenpol-List: Drag/anti-drag wires

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Drag/anti-drag wires>>I used 11 ga. mild steel wire for my drag wires, bending it around cable>shackles at the attach points and splicing an eye with nicopress sleeves,>with turnbuckles at the mid-span fittings. But after talking to a guy who>built several Piets who said I should replace them, I'm less sure about>leaving them in the airplane. Plans call for 14 ga. hard wire. I hadn'tbeen>able to find any of that, so I though thicker mild steel wire would do. Now>I'm not as confident in that decision.>>I have some 1/8" stainless control cable and enough thimbles and nicopress>sleeves to redo all the drag wires. What's the opinion of thisknowledgeable>group?>>Matt Paxton>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:50:09 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phil Hopkins"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Drag/anti-drag wiresI used 11 ga. mild steel wire for my drag wires, bending it around cable shackles at the attach points and splicing an eye with nicopress sleeves, with turnbuckles at the mid-span fittings. But after talking to a guy who built several Piets who said I should replace them, I'm less sure about leaving them in the airplane. Plans call for 14 ga. hard wire. I hadn't been able to find any of that, so I though thicker mild steel wire would do. Now I'm not as confident in that decision. I have some 1/8" stainless control cable and enough thimbles and nicopress sleeves to redo all the drag wires. What's the opinion of this knowledgeable group?Matt Paxton________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Drag/anti-drag wires

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Woodflier(at)aol.com
Max, I'm using the braided control cable like most people, I guess.You can get the hard wire at Aircraft Spruce. You can get a free catalog attheir site, if you don't already have one.walt-----------------------------------------------------Click here for Free Video!!http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Drag/anti-drag wires

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Richard DeCosta
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Alum head vendor

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Greg Yotz"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Alum head vendorIn a message dated 8/16/00 12:20:35 PM Central Daylight Time, aircamper(at)yahoo.com writes:>Richard,A few months ago, I recieved my aluminum head, from Dan Price, and I am satisified with the quality of the head (so far...I haven't ran the engine yet). However, there was a few minor scratches on it, and a few little pieces of shavings in the coolant jacket that I had to shake out. Doug Bryant purchased his 'Dan Price Head' about 4 years ago, and has had no problems with it. I just finished assembling the engine, and I'm ready to install it on the airframe, except for drilling out the four oil pan mounting holes. Here is my question, to the group, about the head; Can I paint it, and expect the paint to stick? I have some epoxy paint, for aluminum, then top coat it with the polyurathane red color. I would really like to paint the entire engine red, the same as the fuselage.Chuck GantzerWichita KSrcaprd(at)aol.comReminder: Pietenpol Fly-In, at Benton Airpark on Saturday Sept. 9. Benton is about 10 miles NE of Wichita KS. This year, there will be food available, and limited camping available (we have a porta-jon for the weekend !!). Any questions, please e-mail me directly.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Alum head vendor

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Walter Allen"
Is the Benton fly-in going to be Saturday and Sunday??Greg>> Chuck Gantzer> Wichita KS> rcaprd(at)aol.com>> Reminder: Pietenpol Fly-In, at Benton Airpark on Saturday Sept. 9.Benton> is about 10 miles NE of Wichita KS. This year, there will be foodavailable,> and limited camping available (we have a porta-jon for the weekend !!).Any> questions, please e-mail me directly.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Alum head vendor

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jay
Chuck:I have some Pietenpol accumulation of stuff (wife calls it junk) If I load it and bring it September 9, is selling or trading allowed?>From: Rcaprd(at)aol.com>Reply-To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Alum head vendor>Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 01:55:30 EDT>>>In a message dated 8/16/00 12:20:35 PM Central Daylight Time,>aircamper(at)yahoo.com writes:>> heads he produces, before I mail him a $300 check? Thanks! >>>>Richard,>A few months ago, I recieved my aluminum head, from Dan Price, and I am>satisified with the quality of the head (so far...I haven't ran the engine>yet). However, there was a few minor scratches on it, and a few little>pieces of shavings in the coolant jacket that I had to shake out. Doug>Bryant purchased his 'Dan Price Head' about 4 years ago, and has had no>problems with it. I just finished assembling the engine, and I'm ready to>install it on the airframe, except for drilling out the four oil pan >mounting>holes. Here is my question, to the group, about the head; Can I paint it,>and expect the paint to stick? I have some epoxy paint, for aluminum, >then>top coat it with the polyurathane red color. I would really like to paint>the entire engine red, the same as the fuselage.>>Chuck Gantzer>Wichita KS>rcaprd(at)aol.com>>Reminder: Pietenpol Fly-In, at Benton Airpark on Saturday Sept. 9. Benton>is about 10 miles NE of Wichita KS. This year, there will be food >available,>and limited camping available (we have a porta-jon for the weekend !!). >Any>questions, please e-mail me directly.>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:45:25 -0500
matronics

> > Re: Pietenpol-List: Alum head vendor

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
> >> >> >In a message dated 8/16/00 12:20:35 PM Central Daylight Time,> >aircamper(at)yahoo.com writes:> >> > > heads he produces, before I mail him a $300 check? Thanks! >>> >> >Richard,> >A few months ago, I recieved my aluminum head, from Dan Price, and I am> >satisified with the quality of the head (so far...I haven't ran the engine> >yet). However, there was a few minor scratches on it, and a few little> >pieces of shavings in the coolant jacket that I had to shake out. Doug> >Bryant purchased his 'Dan Price Head' about 4 years ago, and has had no> >problems with it. I just finished assembling the engine, and I'm ready to> >install it on the airframe, except for drilling out the four oil pan> >mounting> >holes. Here is my question, to the group, about the head; Can I paint it,> >and expect the paint to stick? I have some epoxy paint, for aluminum,> >then> >top coat it with the polyurathane red color. I would really like to paint> >the entire engine red, the same as the fuselage.> >> >Chuck Gantzer> >Wichita KS> >rcaprd(at)aol.com> >> >Reminder: Pietenpol Fly-In, at Benton Airpark on Saturday Sept. 9. Benton> >is about 10 miles NE of Wichita KS. This year, there will be food> >available,> >and limited camping available (we have a porta-jon for the weekend !!).> >Any> >questions, please e-mail me directly.> >> >>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:17:35 -0400