Pietenpol-List: Bob Whittier's column

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

RE: Bob Whittier's column

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Gower
Hey Oscar ...Please don't get riled about Bob's comment that the Pietenpol "is no beauty." Honestly, I don't think you could find a bigger fan of the Pietenpol airplane than Bob Whittier. In fact, I'm suspecting he may have made the statement just to be more "journalistically objective"; that's how much he loves Pietenpols.Witness that he plans his trips to AirVenture to include time to attend the Pietenpol Fly-in in Brodhead ... and, frankly, that's his favorite fly-in to go to, bar none. He goes to great effort to be able to go there. This past summer, his usual ride, Jim (who's last name I can't remember at the moment) wasn't going to go to the fly-in, but Jim helped find someone else to give Bob a ride, and we arranged for him and his new ride to meet at Oshkosh. He goes to great lengths to get that fly-in, and he'd be heartbroken if he wasn't welcome there again.So, fear not, Bob wasn't trying to disparage this wonderful airplane in any way...and if he thought that he upset Pietenpol owners, he'd be very distraught. So much so that I'll gladly take any guff anyone wants to give him. I won't mention this to him, and I'd ask Pietenpol owners to not write him. If someone has to let off steam, write me.Bob probably wouldn't want me to say this, but he's having a lot of struggles in his life now as his wife is in advancing stages of Alzheimer's Disease. Sometimes just being able to get an article done is a lot of stress for him. But, he's adamant about wanting to keep writing as long as he possibly can. This is what he lives for.I guess what I'm asking ... let's give Bob a break on this one. I wouldn't want to see his heart broken over this ... and that could easily happen.Oscar, feel free to put this on the Pietenpol list, if necessary.Thanks for your consideration.Mary=============================================Oscar ZunigaSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:03:51 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Bob Whittier's column

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Mary Jones"
Pietenpolers: hold your calls and letters to Mary Jones! Please read her reply to my email to her, and I apologized to her for causing any ruckus. I only intended to stick up for the Piet in a good way, not to bark or snap.==================================
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Bob Whittier's column

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Doc Mosher
My Two cents worth. Beauty is the eye of the beholder. Went to Brodhead to see if I reallyliked Pietenpols. Got in very late after a twenty hour non stop drive. (twodrivers) A couple of guys were sitting around the campfire they told us tobasically set up camp where you want to. The next morning I was awoken tothe sound of an A Ford swinging a prop. Nicest alarm clock ever built!Met Bob Whittier and found him to very interesting, his hearing disabilitymade it a bit difficult to converse with, but he was extremely interested inthe aircraft. He genuinely does like Pietenpols and has a thing for Apowered Piets.We should be thanking him for writing about Pietenpols and spreading thegood word about them. Piets ugly never!......Beauty, well a MK IX Spit does that for me......ButI can if I persist have a pretty little Piet.John________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:35:36 -0600
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Piet owner Jimmy Dean featured in "Sportsman Pilot"

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Doc Mosher"
Now for the REALLY cool part....5 back issues contain Pietenpol Articles (ormention of Piets in some way.....)http://www.sportsmanpilot.com/back_issues.htmI'm betting there's some GOOD reading in those issues!Jim in Plano....----- Original Message -----
matronics

> RE: Bob Whittier's column

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: del magsam
>> Hey Oscar ...>> Please don't get riled about Bob's comment that the Pietenpol "is no> beauty." Honestly, I don't think you could find a bigger fan of the> Pietenpol airplane than Bob Whittier. In fact, I'm suspecting he may have> made the statement just to be more "journalistically objective"; that'show> much he loves Pietenpols.>> Witness that he plans his trips to AirVenture to include time to attendthe> Pietenpol Fly-in in Brodhead ... and, frankly, that's his favorite fly-into> go to, bar none. He goes to great effort to be able to go there. This past> summer, his usual ride, Jim (who's last name I can't remember at themoment)> wasn't going to go to the fly-in, but Jim helped find someone else to give> Bob a ride, and we arranged for him and his new ride to meet at Oshkosh.He> goes to great lengths to get that fly-in, and he'd be heartbroken if he> wasn't welcome there again.>> So, fear not, Bob wasn't trying to disparage this wonderful airplane inany> way...and if he thought that he upset Pietenpol owners, he'd be very> distraught. So much so that I'll gladly take any guff anyone wants togive> him. I won't mention this to him, and I'd ask Pietenpol owners to notwrite> him. If someone has to let off steam, write me.>> Bob probably wouldn't want me to say this, but he's having a lot of> struggles in his life now as his wife is in advancing stages ofAlzheimer's> Disease. Sometimes just being able to get an article done is a lot ofstress> for him. But, he's adamant about wanting to keep writing as long as he> possibly can. This is what he lives for.>> I guess what I'm asking ... let's give Bob a break on this one. Iwouldn't> want to see his heart broken over this ... and that could easily happen.>> Oscar, feel free to put this on the Pietenpol list, if necessary.>> Thanks for your consideration.>> Mary> =============================================> Oscar Zuniga> San Antonio, TX> mailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.com> website at http://www.flysquirrel.net>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 02:05:43 -0800 (PST)