Pietenpol-List: my hat is off to the long distance open cockpit flyers

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: my hat is off to the long distance open cockpit flyers

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Waytogopiet(at)aol.com
Trying to fly off my hours and spent 2 hours flying. Even though it was a beautifulmorning, 2 hours in the 80 mph wind wears the heck out of you. (maybe myold age showing)When I was flying the Fisher 404, never really made very long trips. Now withthe Pietenpol, just could pass up the great AM to build some time.Got to hand it to the guys who fly open cockpit cross the US.waltNX140DL17 1/4 down, 7 3/4 to go________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: tires, taxiing, & stuff

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Richard Navratril"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: tires, taxiing, & stuffIn a message dated 5/9/2003 4:50:32 PM Central Standard Time, rambog(at)erols.com writes:> I have wrapped bungees on a number of different airplanes, including my> Travel Air, but I was wondering how, specifically, other people are> accomplishing it on the Piet.> Gene...I read most of the various responses to your query before posting this so as not to duplicate. I wrapped the LG struts on my Buhl Bull Pups and whipped the raw ends as described by John Dilatush as I suspect you did on the Travel Air. However, for the Piet I liked Mike Cuy's tyewrap method. I am doing the job now combining tyewraps and whipped ends. I prefer a 1/8" swaged safety cable rather than a clamp so will have the safety cable as a backup. I agree with the IA's opinion that the plastic tyewraps will deteriorate so plan to do daily inspection plus periodic re-wrapping and tyewrap replacement. I am unable to use the loop suggestion you put forth on mine as I am installing hydraulic brakes similar to Mike's and cannot get the loop over the brake disc. I am very grateful for the string on this subject as I am right at that point now. Thanks to all who have contributed. Would be interested in knowing about the final method you chose for your Piet. Don Hicks ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: tires, taxiing, & stuff

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Christian Bobka"
Chris and MikeSounds like re-wrapping bungees and changing ty-wrapps should be areoccuring AD on the straight gear Piet.Dick----- Original Message -----
matronics

> > > > Pietenpol-List: tires, taxiing, & stuff

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Brants"
> > > > To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> > > > Subject: Pietenpol-List: tires, taxiing, & stuff> > > >> > > >> > > > > > > >> > > > Dick N--------Congratulations on your progress. About to do taxi> > > > testing. Exciting time for you.> > > > Initially I fiddled with my motorcycle tire pressure as well asbungee> > > > tightness. On grass strips it helps> > > > your takeoff roll if your tire pressure is on the higher side,(less> > > > rolling resistance) On paved strips I prefer> > > > a somewhat softer pressure to cushion the 'chirp' or in the Pietscase> > > more> > > > of an "urt". I think for overall> > > > use I keep mine about 23 psi or so. I eyeball the tread where it> meets> > > > the pavement/concrete head-on to see> > > > if all the ribs/tread in the tire are touching the ground or if the> > > > sidewalls have too much bulge at the bottom.> > > > It's amazing what ambient temperature changes can do to yourinflation> > > > pressure. Up and down sometimes.> > > > (least in Ohio)> > > >> > > > One more thought on the bungee wrapping tightness. On my first> couple> > of> > > > attempts to wrap the bungees I failed> > > > to get equal tightness on either side. I would find that one side> was> > > too> > > > tight and the other side too loose, or vice-versa.> > > > It took some practice to get the right feel for how to wrap them.> > Don't> > > > be discouraged if you have to re-wrap several times> > > > to get it just right like Goldie Lock's bed.> > > >> > > > The weirdest thing about taxiing for the first time is thateverything> > > > around you starts to move. Very unlike all the 'simulator'training> > time> > > > that you've accumulated while in your garage, basement, driveway,and> > > > hangar. (way more fun)> > > >> > > > Mike C.> > > >> > > >> > >> > >> >> >>>________________________________________________________________________________