Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 06/01/03

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 06/01/03

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gene Rambo"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 06/01/03Gene, I offset the leading edge of my fin 1/4" to the left. If I don't like the way it flies, I'll make up two new forward fin brackets and align it straight. Matt PaxtonIn a message dated 6/2/03 2:58:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pietenpol-list-digest(at)matronics.com writes:
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 06/01/03

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
Group,How many of the flying Pietenpol's have placed a tuft of yarn about 12-18"long in the center of the fuselage forward of the wind screen to see if theyare flying straight or in a crab? The answer to this question will do a lotfor us in answering the question of offsetting the vertical fin or adding arudder trim tab. I did this test when test flying the RV-6 and offsettingthe vertical stab caused a lot of unnecessary work. Ended up resetting itstraight and adding a trim tab on the rudder. On my Pietenpol I will setthe stab straight unless information gathered says otherwise. Lookingforward to the answer to the first question..Alex Sloan----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 06/01/03Group,How many of the flying Pietenpol's have placed a tuft of yarn about 12-18"long in the center of the fuselage forward of the wind screen to see if theyare flying straight or in a crab? The answer to this question will do a lotfor us in answering the question of offsetting the vertical fin or adding arudder trim tab. I did this test when test flying the RV-6 and offsettingthe vertical stab caused a lot of unnecessary work. Ended up resetting itstraight and adding a trim tab on the rudder. On my Pietenpol I will setthe stab straight unless information gathered says otherwise. Lookingforward to the answer to the first question..Alex Sloan----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "John Ford"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 06/01/03We set our rudder straight and after a few hours flight added a 3x3 .020 alum tab on the upper part of the rudder. Solved the problem completely, matterof fact have never had to bend adjust since.Didn't even slow the Piet down, still speeds along at 69 cruise, 72 in a dive and stalls at 40.YKW________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 09:55:58 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
Group,If it is proven a trim tab is needed on the Piet, it is important that thetrim tab be placed on the UPPER part of the rudder. If placed on the lowerpart of the rudder the fuselage blocks out the effectiveness of the tab to adegree. This is a lesson I learned the hard way.Alex Sloan----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Alex Sloan alexms1(at)bellsouth.net
The yarn thing is probably not necessary as most of the builders I haveheard on here are putting turn and banks, or at least inclinometers intheir aircraft. I don't know whether the fin offset (or tab) wouldnecessarily affect the slip/skid, but it will affect wing heaviness.I want to avoid using a trim tab at all costs. It sounds like mostresponses on here have resorted to tabs, so some offset must be necessary. I may make the holes in the horiz stab far enough apart that I could changethe lower fittings and move the leading edge of the fin as necessary (ordrill multiple holes like some have suggested).Now that I think of it, though, I could make a fitting similar to the oneon the front of the fin on the Travel Air, which consists of two 90 degreetabs with a long threaded bolt horizontally between them. The bolt goesthrough the leading edge of the fin with a lock nut on either side of thefin. This allows infinite adjustments by repositioning the locknuts andmoving the fin left or right. This is really not much different thanBernie designed, the bolt through the fin is just a little longer.GeneOriginal Message:-----------------
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 8 Msgs -

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 8 Msgs -> 06/01/03> > > > > Group,> How many of the flying Pietenpol's have placed a tuft of yarn about> 12-18"> long in the center of the fuselage forward of the wind screen to see> if they> are flying straight or in a crab? The answer to this question will> do a lot> for us in answering the question of offsetting the vertical fin or> adding a> rudder trim tab. I did this test when test flying the RV-6 and> offsetting> the vertical stab caused a lot of unnecessary work. Ended up> resetting it> straight and adding a trim tab on the rudder. On my Pietenpol I will> set> the stab straight unless information gathered says otherwise. > Looking> forward to the answer to the first question..> Alex Sloan> ----- Original Message -----