Pietenpol-List: need technical advice from the pros

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: need technical advice from the pros

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Rick Holland"
Good dayWe are about to assemble the fuselage of our Air Camper.Should we just go ahead and glue all the plywood, seat backs, braces, etc.before we do any interior work such as pulleys, rigging.Or is it better to leave a certain section of plywood off to do other workfirst?What is the preferred method in gluing/fastening the ribs to the spars.Does anyone have a detailed photo, of how they fastened the ribs to thespars?Thank you for any advicecaptmarcus(at)sympatico.ca________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:33:07 -0700
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: need technical advice from the pros

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "KMHeide, BA, CPO, FAAOP"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List:

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Dralle
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: need technical advice from the pros

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
I glued all of the plywood except for the firewall and had no problems at all installing the controls, pulleys etc. Leaving the firewall plywood off until after the front rudder pedals are installed was a big help. I temporarily nailed an X of thin wood strips accross the firewall opening to keep the fuselage square while the seatbacks etc. were being installed. Ed G.>From: "Rick Holland" >Reply-To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: need technical advice from the pros>Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:33:07 -0700>>I held off gluing both plywood sides and the firewall until I had all>controls and seat parts installed. Thought it made assembly easier although>many glue the plywood side panels on before joining the sides.>>Rick>>On Nov 14, 2007 8:11 PM, Marc Dumay wrote:>> > Good day> >> >> >> > We are about to assemble the fuselage of our Air Camper.> >> > Should we just go ahead and glue all the plywood, seat backs, braces, >etc.> > before we do any interior work such as pulleys, rigging.> >> > Or is it better to leave a certain section of plywood off to do other >work> > first?> >> > What is the preferred method in gluing/fastening the ribs to the spars.> >> > Does anyone have a detailed photo, of how they fastened the ribs to the> > spars?> >> >> >> >> >> > Thank you for any advice> >> > captmarcus(at)sympatico.ca> >> > *> >> > *> >> >>>>-->Rick Holland>ObjectAge Ltd.>Castle Rock, Colorado________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: need technical advice from the prosDate: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:08:56 -0500
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: need technical advice from the pros

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
I have two strut forks. I am told they are from an Aeronca. They are 100% corrosion free. Have been walnut shell blasted and very clean.I'm told these go for big bucks. Looking to get $60 each. DJ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: need technical advice from the prosDate: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:22:53 -0500
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: routing of engine controls

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> flyboy_120(at)hotmail.com
I bought a bunch of super magnets about the size of pencil erasers and used them to pull a nail attached to a thread to pull a wire behind a fiberglass headliner in my sailboat. Would certainly work thru fabric. I also have some oval plastic tube about 1/4" x 1/2" that would be great for routing wire thru. Perhaps a couple of channels would be the route to go keep the mechanical cables away from the wires. I think the tubes came out of some pull down blinds. Just my thoughts.Steve in Maine
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: need technical advice from the pros

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Michals
>>I held off gluing both plywood sides and the firewall until I had all>controls and seat parts installed. Thought it made assembly easieralthough>many glue the plywood side panels on before joining the sides.>>Rick>>On Nov 14, 2007 8:11 PM, Marc Dumay wrote:>> > Good day> >> >> >> > We are about to assemble the fuselage of our Air Camper.> >> > Should we just go ahead and glue all the plywood, seat backs,braces, >etc.> > before we do any interior work such as pulleys, rigging.> >> > Or is it better to leave a certain section of plywood off to doother >work> > first?> >> > What is the preferred method in gluing/fastening the ribs to thespars.> >> > Does anyone have a detailed photo, of how they fastened the ribs tothe> > spars?> >> >> >> >> >> > Thank you for any advice> >> > captmarcus(at)sympatico.ca> >> > *> >> > *> >> >>>>-->Rick Holland>ObjectAge Ltd.>Castle Rock, Colorado_________________________________________________This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietaryor otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the senderimmediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.Dansk - Deutsch - Espanol - Francais - Italiano - Japanese - Nederlands - Norsk - Portuguese________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:30:52 -0800 (PST)
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: need technical advice from the pros

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ben Charvet
>>I held off gluing both plywood sides and the firewall until I had all>controls and seat parts installed. Thought it made assembly easier although>many glue the plywood side panels on before joining the sides.>>Rick>>On Nov 14, 2007 8:11 PM, Marc Dumay wrote:>> > Good day> >> >> >> > We are about to assemble the fuselage of our Air Camper.> >> > Should we just go ahead and glue all the plywood, seat backs, braces, >etc.> > before we do any interior work such as pulleys, rigging.> >> > Or is it better to leave a certain section of plywood off to do other >work> > first?> >> > What is the preferred method in gluing/fastening the ribs to the spars.> >> > Does anyone have a detailed photo, of how they fastened the ribs to the> > spars?> >> >> >> >> >> > Thank you for any advice> >> > captmarcus(at)sympatico.ca> >> > *> >> > *> >> >>>>-->Rick Holland>ObjectAge Ltd.>Castle Rock, Colorado ---------------------------------Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:28:02 -0500
matronics

> > Pietenpol-List: routing of engine controls

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Brian Kraut"
> > > > I hope not because that's the way I did mine and for the same reason. The> only problem I could see would be replaceing one of them if they were to> were to go bad but with good quality components that is not likely for a> long long time. I figure if that were to happen a new one could be run > inside until the next covering job. Ed G.> > > >From: Tom Bernie > >Reply-To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> >To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> >Subject: Pietenpol-List: routing of engine controls> >Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:54:37 -0500 (GMT-05:00)> >>> >> >Dear List,> >> >I'm thinking of routing my engine controls (tach,oil press & > >temp,mixture,etc) outside fuselage and under the fabric so as to keep the > >front cockpit uncluttered. Is there any reason for not doing this?> >> >Thanks,> >Tom Bernie> >Gloucester, Mass> >> >> >> >> > > ============================================> > > ________________________________________________________________________________