Pietenpol-List: Speaking of an electric start

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Question concerning longerons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "gcardinal"
To:Subject: Pietenpol-List: Question concerning longeronsAir Camper longerons are 13 5 on top and would have to be a bit longer on the bottomdue to the curve. Do you guys order the 1X1 longerons as one section . Thatis, would I order 4 pieces about 15 long or 8 pieces about 8 long and thensplice them? Milt Atkinson (still dreaming havent started yet) ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Speaking of an electric start

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Milt Atkinson"
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Question concerning longerons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Milt,Order 4 pieces, I ordered 4 x 16 feet pieces from AS&S.CheersPeterWonthaggi AustraliaHYPERLINK "http://www.cpc-world.com/"http://www.cpc-world.com _____
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Question concerning longerons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Milt Atkinson"
MiltI ripped mine from poplar plank S2 at full length then scarfed the joints to lengthsgreater than needed. Then cut each to lengths that kept joints away fromeach other to avoid any compounding of weekness that may have resulted from anyof the jointsNot certain if that's a valid concern or the right method or not its just the wayI did itJohnSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Question concerning longerons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Milt Atkinson
Longerons are spliced on NX18235. 130 hours in various levels of turbulence and lots of my abusive landings. No problems.Use good wood and good adhesive. Follow standard practices and you'll have no worries.Greg Cardinal ----- Original Message -----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Question concerning longerons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Milt,Most will say to order to length, or cut from large stock that you purchaseto do the spars. I have chosen to use poplar on everything except the spars,and just started splicing the longerons. I am laminating =BD=94 x 10=92 (that waythe scarf joints are well staggered), using a 15 to 1 scarf joint. I have avery easy jig for cutting the joints that works on a table saw. I startedwith the straight, upper longeron, and the laminating process will help withthe lower one, though bending doesn=92t seem to have been a problem with anyone. So far, so good=85=85I should say that my wood provider just told me onMonday that he can get me 16=92 lengths, easily. I may switch over, but eitherway it should work out well.Gary Boothe Cool, CA WW Conversion 90% done, Tail Group awaiting hinges,Working on fuse,(6 ribs down...) _____
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Question concerning longerons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "KMHeide, BA, CPO, FAAOP"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Speaking of an electric start

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Owen Davies
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Passenger seatbelt attach points

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "KMHeide, BA, CPO, FAAOP"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Speaking of an electric start

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Clif Dawson
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Passenger seatbelt attach points

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
>> ________________________________________________________________________________