> From: taildrags(at)hotmail.com> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> P

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> taildrags(at)hotmail.com> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: P
Oscar! Well put! I read the posts last night on this string and began to feel that my own marriage of 22 years was slightly lopsided in aviation passion. Your words set me at ease. I think it is fantastic to see William W and his wife both passionately involved in small airplanes but I don't find myself wishing I were in a similar relationship. My job as a pilot, hobby of building a piet and ownership of a little Stinson are all things that I truly enjoy yet I expect no participation from my loved ones. To hang that expectation on anyone is more likely to bring grief than happiness. My shop is a one car garage that I can toil in while the family sleeps or is at work or school. I do my job as an airline pilot just like anyone else who goes off to work and when I fly my Stinson, it is usually a quality father and son experience. My wife has yet to fly in my plane; in fact she has not even seen it. BUT there is ample time in my life to share the things we do enjoy - which are many. I don't see an aviation hobby for a married person as anything more than golf, hockey, duck hunting or Monday night football. I know most people on this list share the passion of flying and I am certain that most have a rock solid relationship with their spouse. The aviation induced divorce syndrome (AIDS) is a myth that has been used since the Wright Brothers and is simply a place to hang the blame when two people don't stay together.Scott Knowlton
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Corvair hub on Piet. plans

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
Michael:-Definitely get the William Wynne manual for the conversion. It walks you through the "modern" conversion steps. The original Corvair conversion as per B H Pietenpol pretty much hangs the engine as is from the car with no real modification and retains the original squirrel cage blower. Taking that off is worth-quite a few HP. Also the right cam gets you a bit more.-The WW manual has all the right steps and includes the drawing for the prop hub if you wish to-whittle your own. It also includes directions and contacts for all the other bits and manuals you will need.-Michael------- Original Message -----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Corvair hub on Piet. plans

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Michael,There are certainly alternatives. If you haven't done so yet, go to www.flycorvair.com. William Wynn sells hubs,but also provides drawings in his manual, for those who wish not to buythem. If you are interested in the Corvair, you will certainly want toperuse his web sight.Gary BootheCool, Ca.PietenpolWW Corvair ConversionTail done, working on fuselage(11 ribs down.) _____
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-lis
#yiv226449365 UNKNOWN {FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 #yiv1427081019 P.MsoNormal {FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 LI.MsoNormal {FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 DIV.MsoNormal {FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 A:link {COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 SPAN.MsoHyperlink {COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 A:visited {COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 P {FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN-LEFT:0in;MARGIN-RIGHT:0in;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 PRE {FONT-SIZE:10pt;MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Courier New";}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 SPAN.EmailStyle18 {COLOR:navy;FONT-FAMILY:Arial;}#yiv226449365 UNKNOWN {MARGIN:1in 1.25in;}#yiv226449365 #yiv1427081019 DIV.Section1 {}Michael,-There are certainly alternatives. If you haven=92t done so yet, go to www.flycorvair.com. William Wynn sells hubs, but also provides drawings in his manual, for those who wish not to buy them. If you are interested in the Corvair, you will certainly want to peruse his web sight. - Gary BootheCool, Ca. Pietenpol WW Corvair Conversion Tail done, working on fuselage (11 ribs down=85)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> taildrags(at)hotmail.com> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: P
Well this piet fall in that category. I'll have to look everything over. The wood work and welding looks good.Some of the hardware look suspect so I'll replace it.In looking at the photos on West Coast Piet web page=2C it seems like several of the a65 piet's are longer between the front cockpit and the firewall. They also seems to have a longer motor mount. Mine are both quite short.I think this is the reason for the aft CG. More time with a tape measure and some scales will tell.I believe the longerons are broken because of the way the tail wheel is mounted.The forward end of the spring is located at the last station. This puts the back spring mounthalf way between the last station and the tailpost. That put a lot of bending force on the longerons.The aft CG didn't help either. I'll post some photos when I have the fabric off.Marc
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Michael,I made my prop hub to WW's manual. Works a treat but if you use a Warp Driveprop you may want to make the drive pins shorter so the Warp Drive can sitflush on the hub.PeterWonthaggi Australia http://www.cpc-world.com _____
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Corvair hub on Piet. plans

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
matronics

Post by matronics »

Sorry man!! Definately not trying to start a debate or war of any type. :) I just looked it up again before getting on here and sure enough it's a Pietenpol GN-1. So it's a hermie=2C not to worried about it. I did a bit of research and found a few things about the GN-1. I should have known it was a newbie question and done a search. My mistake!Jonathan RaglePietenpol GN-1 N83887 (Bastard child and OK with it)Watauga=2C Texas
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: CozyGirrrl(at)aol.com
Pietenpol-List message posted by: Oscar Zuniga > > > Next July 7 I will have been 40 years married to the same woman... the girl I met while riding skateboards (the ORIGINAL ones) in about 1967. But what I didn't know until later in our relationship was that I had actually met her while we were both in diapers... our parents were friends even before we were born. I can still remember her cute, toothless little smile and crisp white diaper as she lay there in her crib (I am a year older than she is ;o) and I'm sure we shared a warm bottle of milk over the flicker of the night-light in her bedroom those many years ago. Or maybe it's just my over-active imagination.> > My wife Jay has asked me not to jump out of airplanes so I never have, and although she has ridden with me one time in Air Camper 41CC, her idea of a real airplane is the turbo Seneca that I had the fortune to take some dual instruction in, many years ago. That or the King Air that she rode in one time. My Pietenpol is not a serious airplane to her.> > She has always had exactly 1/2 of our 2-car garage in which to park her car. I can't remember the last time I had enough of "my" half of the garage in which to park my car, and I think parking a car in the garage is a waste of good shop space.> > Jay does not like to read instructions, fix things, or try to understand anything with a lot of parts to it. That's my job. The thought of flying on instruments is terrifying to her and she will not sit and listen to the perfect logic of an ILS approach or how a GPS works. However, she never gets lost while driving in a strange city and I do, plus she will stop and ask for directions instead of driving 15 miles in the wrong direction like I do when I'm lost.> > She does not understand the attraction of flying an airplane off of grass, and thinks it's scary to leave the pavement. She does not like the smell of avgas or hot motor oil, much less a huge cloud of blue smoke from starting up a R985, so I listen to my "Round Engines" CDs with the headphones on. I can take her to airshows, but only if the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, or other loud jets are flying. She loves loud, fast jets while I migrate to the round engine area.> > We have our arrangement and it seems to have worked just fine through thick and thin. I thank God for sending me the perfect woman to go through life with, and I thank my wife for putting up with a less-than-perfect man for all these years. "Low and Slow Forever" is taking on a whole new meaning as she and I work our way through life!> > Oscar Zuniga> Air Camper NX41CC> San Antonio, TX> mailto: taildrags@hotmail.com> website at http://www.flysquirrel.net> >===> > > _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Peter W Johnson"
hotmail.com>> > > Marc=3B> > I love "stray dogs" and I'd say you got one. I think strays turn out to be more affectionate=2C better companions=2C better behaved=2C and have better health than many pedigreed pooches- and the same goes for airplanes. It's the strays that seem to fly more and give their owners more satisfaction without fussing over little scratches and imperfections.> > I wonder why your airplane would be any more tail-heavy than any other? It does seem that the lower longerons are broken at the tailwheel mount=2C maybe the result of the tail heaviness (ya think?)- but nothing back there seems to be very odd or different. The fittings and everything else seem to be pretty standard=2C the airplane looks to be square and mostly in rig. I would say that the warped ailerons may be that way due to the covering job=2C but you should still be able to straighten them out once you get the fabric off. No electrics=2C no gadgets=2C seems like a simple airplane and everything is there=2C ready for restoration.> > I like the prospects that this airplane shows=2C but it's going to take some cleaning up and re-fitting. Who is it that says "the Pietenpol is slow=2C but the sky is patient"=2C or something like that? Same goes for the job that is ahead for you...> > Oscar Zuniga> Air Camper NX41CC> San Antonio=2C TX> mailto: taildra==> > > _________________________________________________________________Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger.http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/ov ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Ryan Mueller"
> > > Sigh... here we go again... "what's the difference between a Pietenpol and a GN-1?" I won't get into it this time=3B I sent Doc Mosher a very nice and informative letter on the subject and he wrote an editorial about my letter on the BPA News website. Enough said from my corner. All I was trying to do was give due respect to both Mr. Pietenpol and Mr. Grega for their respective contributions to our most enjoyable sport in both Air Campers and Aircampers=2C but then again some people call any yellow airplane a "Cub" no matter what it really is.> > For now suffice it to say that N83887 is registered as a "Pietenpol GN-1". Now you talk about a hermaphrodite-! That's just about the same as saying your party affiliation is "Democratic Republican" =3Bo)> > Low 'n' slow forever! And welcome to the Texas Air Camper Organization (TACO)!> > Oscar Zuniga> Air Camper NX41CC (all Piet and proud of it)> San Antonio=2C TX> mailto: taildrags@hotmai========================> > > _________________________________________________________________Get more out of the Web. Learn 10 hidden secrets of Windows Live.http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jam ... ______Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:05:33 -0500