Pietenpol-List: Precolored dacron

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Precolored dacron

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Doug Dever
Hello all. I've been reading the list for a couple of years now and don't recallany conversations about colored dacron. In my mind, it misses the desiredlook for a Piet. My thoughts are directed towards the recent guys concerned aboutweight and hp. I was looking at the weight of paint, and precolored fabricwould certainly add lightness. You could trade 60lbs of paint for 60lbs ofcomplaining spouse in the front pit. On second thought, paint the thing andleave the nag at home ;-) Anyways, just interested in your thoughts. Blast away!Jeremy BramallDallas, TXSent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Precolored dacron

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> outofthebox50(at)yahoo.com
I've been reading all the posts about how much weight paint adds. I feel as though I've got to add my .02. My dad and I have recovered several airplanes. He was in the autobody business for 40yrs and I have been in it off and on for 30. If you paint an airplane as small as the Piet and add 60lbs something is wrong! allowing for solvent evaporation 60lbs would equal almost 9 gallons of paint! Every airplane we recovered we used automotive urethane over a build-up of high solids butyrate dope. The most weight we ever added was26lbs and this was on a show winning Tri-pacer. (you could not see the weave in the fabric.) With the newer hi-build high solids butyrate like Randofill the weight would even be less. all building should be done with butyrate. It is very light. Followed by a primer sealer to get adheasion to the laquer based butyrate followed by color. An entire Pietenpol should take no more than 1.5gal of color (before thinning) that would be about 12lbs of paint. BTW we got FAA field approval for our process Adding a flex agent to the final coat. The coatings held up for many years with no loss of gloss and no cracking This is the process I will use on mine. Maybe I don't know squat=2C but weigh a gallon of paint and subtract 30% for solvent evaporation. 60lbs! Just my .02 and it may not even be worth thatDoug DeverIn beautiful Stow Ohio> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Precolored dacron
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Precolored dacron

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: chiefpepperhead(at)hotmail.com
This is an excelent subject Doug. I have done alot of paint work over the years too on cars=2C trucks=2C boats=2C buildings etc and when I have read of the quantities and weights of what is descibed as needed to paint a small fabric plane I have never quite got it!! Iv'e read in the Poly Fiber manual about it taking 8 gallons of Poly brush plus 11 gallons poly spray plus 11 gallons of Poly tone to paint a Piper Cub!!=2C this just behooves me. And then I read about the guys that put on two or three coats of latex and they're done. For those guys that have done the aircraft paint route: Does it really take 30 gallons of product to paint a Piper Cub??????? That's just hard for me to believe!! Hope everyone has a great Labor Day.. Ed Grentzer
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: flyboy_120(at)hotmail.com
Ed=2CKeep in mind that dope=2C either nitrate or butyrate is mostly solvent (lots of coats to get any kind of fill.) So=2C to use several gallons would not add that much weight. It would take several gallons to fill the weave. If you are only concerned about protecting the fabric from UV damage (dacron's enemey) then all you really need after a couple coats of nitrate is the aluminum coat. This brings me to another subject. I read of some people using black for a UV barrier. I question how effective this is. The reason aluminum is used is it reflects all light. Black is the absence of color meaning that all light rays are absorbed. White is the presnece of all colors meaning that all light is reflected. If you want a lesson in this punch test a fabric airplane on the white and then on the color. If the color is dark (red green blue) and the fabric has been on for 10-20yrs the color will puch at half the strength of the white.In filling the weave of fabric=2C all you need is to fill the valleys. When we built up fabric planes we sanded between coats(once you get enough on to protect the threads). The way to do this is to spray on a complete=2C but thin coat of primer called a guard coat. You sand until you only have primer left in the valleys. This is a simplification=2C but you get the idea.Doug DeverIn beautiful Stow Ohio
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Ed G."
> > > Hello all. I've been reading the list for a couple of years now and don't recall any conversations about colored dacron. In my mind=2C it misses the desired look for a Piet. My thoughts are directed towards the recent guys concerned about weight and hp. I was looking at the weight of paint=2C and precolored fabric would certainly add lightness. You could trade 60lbs of paint for 60lbs of complaining spouse in the front pit. On second thought=2C paint the thing and leave the nag at home =3B-) > > Anyways=2C just interested in your thoughts. Blast away!> > Jeremy Bramall> Dallas=2C TX> Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile> > ============================================> > > _________________________________________________________________Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you=92re up to on Facebook.http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialN ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

I've been reading all the posts about how much weight paint adds. I feel as though I've got to add my .02. My dad and I have recovered several airplanes. He was in the autobody business for 40yrs and I have been in it off and on for 30. If you paint an airplane as small as the Piet and add 60lbs something is wrong! allowing for solvent evaporation 60lbs would equal almost 9 gallons of paint! Every airplane we recovered we used automotive urethane over a build-up of high solids butyrate dope. The most weight we ever added was26lbs and this was on a show winning Tri-pacer. (you could not see the weave in the fabric.) With the newer hi-build high solids butyrate like Randofill the weight would even be less. all building should be done with butyrate. It is very light. Followed by a primer sealer to get adheasion to the laquer based butyrate followed by color. An entire Pietenpol should take no more than 1.5gal of color (before thinning) that would be about 12lbs of paint. BTW we got FAA field approval for our process Adding a flex agent to the final coat. The coatings held up for many years with no loss of gloss and no cracking This is the process I will use on mine. Maybe I don't know squat=2C but weigh a gallon of paint and subtract 30% for solvent evaporation. 60lbs! Just my .02 and it may not even be worth thatDoug DeverIn beautiful Stow Ohio> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Precolored dacron
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: chiefpepperhead(at)hotmail.com
This is an excelent subject Doug. I have done alot of paint work over the years too on cars=2C trucks=2C boats=2C buildings etc and when I have read of the quantities and weights of what is descibed as needed to paint a small fabric plane I have never quite got it!! Iv'e read in the Poly Fiber manual about it taking 8 gallons of Poly brush plus 11 gallons poly spray plus 11 gallons of Poly tone to paint a Piper Cub!!=2C this just behooves me. And then I read about the guys that put on two or three coats of latex and they're done. For those guys that have done the aircraft paint route: Does it really take 30 gallons of product to paint a Piper Cub??????? That's just hard for me to believe!! Hope everyone has a great Labor Day.. Ed Grentzer
matronics

Post by matronics »