Pietenpol-List: Cooling Ears

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Cooling Ears

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jeff Boatright
For those that might be using the stock, 12 fin oil cooler on a Corvair,with cooling ears, this was an intense little project. First I had to learnhow to bend the metal around a welding rod..then that tricky little vent to route the air over the oil cooler.These cooling ears are Hans van der Voort designs, increase by 1" on thefront. The access vent for the oil cooler is a total hip-shot on my part. Ifanyone sees a problem..PLEASE speak up!Gary BootheCool, Ca.PietenpolWW Corvair Conversion, mountedTail done, Fuselage on gear(16 ribs down.)________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:50:54 -0500
matronics

FW: HOW TO CREATE HOMER SIMPSON STEP BY STEP

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Tim White"
----- Original Message ----- Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:32 PMSubject: FW: HOW TO CREATE HOMER SIMPSON STEP BY STEP How to create Homer Simpson, step by step ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Vicious Pietenpol stall

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Dralle
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Vicious Pietenpol stall

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jeff Boatright"
Great Video!----- Original Message -----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Vicious Pietenpol stall

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jeff Boatright
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Vicious Pietenpol stallNice video Jeff. That stall is so violent that it seems to cause your prop tospin backwards even. You have enough life insurance to perform two successive power off stalls ????And though I'm not a flight instructor can I mention just one thing as the stallbreaks Jeff......right rudder:)) You know I'm just treating you like I would JimMarkle. Be flattered ! On colder days (like with other light planes like non-electric Cubs and Champs)youcan power off stall a Pietenpol with full stick aft, power at idle and she justmashesdown, never really breaks into a nose-plop (that is a technical term by the way)andyou can just hold full aft stick and keep the nose straight by playing the ruddergently. I always worry on hot days carrying a passenger....but to do full power stallsin a Piet, mine doesn't stall until I'm quite nose high and the ASI is below 30 mph.. thoughI don'ttry that over the wires climbing out nor recommend it. Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:52:45 -0500
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Vicious Pietenpol stall

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Markle
matronics

>> FW: HOW TO CREATE HOMER SIMPSON STEP BY STEP

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Markle
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Cooling Ears

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Holland
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Cooling Ears
matronics

Fw: Best Duct Tape Story Ever

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:=C2-=0A----- Original Message ----- =0A Matthew =0AKirby =0ATo: c.gi
=0A=0A =0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A =0A=0A=0A=0A
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Cooling Ears

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "kevinpurtee"
Hi - I'm traveling to Long Island 23 Feb - 1 March on business. Would enjoy visitingany projects/planes within an hour drive or so. Please contact me at kevin.purtee(at)us.army.milor 512-422-6371 if you can tolerate a quick evening visitsometime that week.Thanks,Kevin PurteeNX899KPRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Cooling Ears
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Gary - I just read this thread & may be too late. I did not put access holes formy spark plugs. When I had to replace the plugs I simply removed the outerbolts holding the eyebrow cowls and gently lifted the cowls to give enough clearanceto get to the plugs. Worked fine.For the oil cooler, I simply extended the eyebrow cowl to cover the cooler, andso far it appears that I've got a LOT of oil cooling. I think your approachmay be better.Take care,Kevin PurteeNX899KPAustin, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "dwilson"
I remember a while back when people were talking about strut weights, I wentout and weighed one of my wooden struts with fittings. Someone had weighedtheir steel ones and the wood one was lighter. I can't though find my oldemail and don't remember the weights.I'll bet the aluminum struts are lighter though.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Cooling Ears
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "dwilson"
Gary,Do you intend to use both the stock corvair oil cooler and another remote oil cooler? I noticed the sandwich adapter on your rear oil filter adapter.DanRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Cooling Ears
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Gary,Do you intend to use both the stock corvair oil cooler and another remote oil cooler? I noticed the sandwich adapter on your rear oil filter adapter.DanRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Sky Scout...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Ray,Your questions are intelligent and educated..attributes to which I make nopersonal claim. In all honesty, I perused the West Coast Piet web site toexhaustion. Too bad Chris Tracy doesn't have sponsors, or he'd be a richman! After looking at every application of wood strut that has been builtand is flying, I decided it was doable. Conversations about appropriatewoods went from ash to spruce, including hickory. I decided that I liked thelook of hickory and the decision was that easy. For size, I just used theplans dimensions for steel. Later conversations with another builder (either Cliff Dawson or DouweBlumberg), far more intelligent and educated than I, showed publishedstrengths of various woods, and verified that hickory had plenty of strengthfor our purposes. I think I can find that email, but it's on my othercomputer at home. My wing struts will also be hickory, roughly the shape and size on theplans. Connections will surely be similar to Douwe's. All cabanes and wingstruts are laminated because..that's what everyone does! Really, it givesyou an opportunity to rotate the grain and eliminate the possibility ofhaving a weak link. Also, it looks really cool!My wood source is a local hardwood supplier, in Auburn, Ca (CaliforniaHardwoods), who does his own wholesale purchasing in whatever length andsize needed. He even mills, if necessary. He located my fir spars and soldall four for $185!! Bonus is that he helped build some wood airplanes andknows what grains to look for.Further note: If anything goes wrong, I'll blame Chris Tracy for publishingall those photos!Gary BootheCool, CAPietenpolWW Corvair ConversionTail done, Fuselage on gear18 ribs done
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Cooling Ears

Post by matronics »

HAH!! You just had to bring that up!! Long explanation, none of which is agood excuse, but WW also pointed that out to me. I'm saving my shekels for aNiagara cooler (anybody want a 12 plate?).Gary BootheCool, CAPietenpolWW Corvair ConversionTail done, Fuselage on gear18 ribs done-----Original Message-----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Cooling Ears

Post by matronics »

Kevin,Yes, you are too late as I have cut out those access holes. Although WWcomplimented my metal work in ducting of the air over the cooler, he highlysuggested that I change it to give it more head pressure. In otherwords...more like yours!Gary BootheCool, CAPietenpolWW Corvair ConversionTail done, Fuselage on gear18 ribs done-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: airlion
matronics

FW: Best Duct =0ATape Story Ever =0A =C2- =0AThe =0Aairplane pix

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Wayne Bressler
01/17/10 =0A 07:35:00 =0A ______________________________________________________________________This =0A email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security =0A System..______________________________________________________________________ =0A=C2-________________________________________________________________________________