Pietenpol-List: Test-phase report=2C and mystery

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Test-phase report=2C and mystery

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: helspersew(at)aol.com
Dan=2C for one thing I would not have impulses on both=2C it isn't necessary. An impulse also retards the spark a bit=2C when it is operating. At cruise=2C the impulse should not be doing anything. Most modern aircraft engines have both mags timed the same. Older engines=2C like the 65 Continental=2C etc=2C had one at some thing like 28 BTC and the other at 30 BTC. Likewise on some radials. I think it is because one spark plug is closer to the intake valve than the other=2C and it is to give a more even burn.It sounds like your left mag is timed about right=2C and your right may be timed too early=2C igniting the fuel early causing a loss of performance and a higher temperature. Time the right a little later (closer to TDC=2C regardless of where it is now) and see if it improves. Make sure the impulse has popped when you time it=2C it will mess up the timing. I would still take off one of the impulses.GeneSubject: Pietenpol-List: Test-phase report=2C and mysteryDate: Thu=2C 19 Aug 2010 07:46:17 -0400