Pietenpol-List: Re: Step design

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Step design

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Don Heringhaus"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Step designI built a step that was simply a piece of streamline tubing with a small plate welded to the end on the step end, and the other end flattened. The streamline tube ran across the bottom of the fuselage and was bolted to the lower longerons with AN3 bolts and large fender washers. But I found that the fuselage deformed a bit when I put my weight on it.. OK, no wisecracks!I eventually tore that out, and designed what looks like a stirrup, with a 1" wide by about 8" steel plate at the top, steel tubing butt welded to that and a larger oval plate at the bottom for the actual step. This I boltedto the right lower longeron - using the bolt hole for the old step as one of the holes, and drilling the holes through the neutral point. Works well, and it doesn't pull the fuselage or stretch the fabric. I canted those tubes a bit so that the forward part of the step sticks out more and the wholestep is about 20 degrees off parallel with the longeron. That makes it easier to find when I get out and closer to the angle my leg is getting in. I don't have a closeup pic of it but this is cropped and enlarged from a larger image. If you want a better view, I can take a pic for you.Matt Paxton________________________________________________________________________________