Re: Pietenpol-List: NX929DH update....Model A guys take note

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: NX929DH update....Model A guys take note

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Donald Lane
Subject: Re: Subject: Pietenpol-List: NX929DH update....Model A guys take noteMy 100LL VS AUTOFUEL experience is limited to Continental O200 (cessna 150) andContinental E-185-11 (205 HP 1948 Bonanza)Both engines were designed to be run on 80 octane avgas. Both have an STC for ULautofuel. Both would run fine on either 100LL or UL AUTOFUEL. However, Anytime I run 100LL I have to work to keep the plugs from leading up.I lean the plane aggressively on the ground to keep the plugs hot and I lean inthe air as well. Seems that the lead likes the plugs. On Autofuel, I always run over 89 (or higher) octane autofuel with no ethanal.I always check every load of Autofuel for alcohol. If they screw up and put itin a car that is one thing. But that alcohol will eat up the gaskets in bothcarbs and the "Rubber" fuel tanks on the Bonanza. Having said all that it isat least a dollar or two cheaper per gallon and The planes run better on it.There is ZERO spark plug fowling and the planes made the same RPM/manifold pressures.I do fill up with 100LL before parking the plane for any length of time. It isbetter on the old Gas tanks and carbs. 100LL is much more stable over long termfor storage (It does not seem to evaporate as much or leave varnish) Probably not much help but That is my knowledge of AVGAS vs AUTOFUEL.ON the sticking valves, I would run some Marvel Mystery Oil thru the oil and gas.I have had success with it.Blue Skies,Steve OT The Beech list guys are discussing the EPA proposal of dropping 100LL as a fueland what the replacement might be. Lots of concern for planes that cannotdrop to a lower octane without being grounded or a significant loss of HP(RPM).----- Original Message -----