Pietenpol-List: Please can we find the gentlemanly behavior again? we're

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Please can we find the gentlemanly behavior again? we're

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "C N Campbell"
At least I'm disconcerted!!As one who has participated in this list for at least eight or nine yearsand reads it almost daily, I can objectively say that the tone has mostdefinitely changed recently, and not for the good.The two great benefits of this list for me have been: 1 the wealth ofknowledge freely shared 2. The camaraderie and encouragement I have found asI've built and learned, learned and built on this beautiful little timemachine we call the Pietenpol.The tone of the list in general has always been very helpful, upbeat,respectful, patient, polite, generally forebearing and. truthful , all atthe same time. I enjoyed these qualities very much and also the fact that"unpietenpol" issues were rarely interjected such as politics, or otherworldly concerns. It seemed to keep the flavor of the time this plane wasdesigned when we pulled together as Americans to create something that wefound worthwhile and interesting, the same qualities I think we all cherishabout Brodhead for example.Gentlemen, (and gentlewomen) my plea is that all of us on this list striveto re-capture that tone in ALL our correspondence. Here are some thoughts:1. Let's leave politics, current-issues etc off the list as much aspossible. 2. Let's try to be patient, encouraging and (here's a word we don'thear much these days) Forbearing with/to to each other, especially newbies,eccentrics, and yes knuckleheads. while we're being truthful.3. If you disagree with a course of action, that's great! But phrase itin a gentlemanly, encouraging, non-demeaning or non-sarcastic way, andplease. learn when to stop. 4. PLEASE let's stop the ever increasing use of profanity that issliding into our communications, it's just not needed.5. The point is, we're trying to help each other and enjoy somefellowship in a common interest.6. We should all see ourselves as "ambassadors" for the plane we loveand the legacy of Bernard Pietenpol and conduct ourselves accordingly.7. At the end of the day, even if we disagree on stuff, JUST BE NICE TOEACHOTHER!!8. Here's a new one.use no language not heard in "the Great WaldoPepper" and we'll be on track!!(seriously, not a bad idea!)This list has truly been a great enjoyment to me, something I look forwardto each morning, and an invaluable asset to my build and rebuild. I alsoknow it has always possessed a uniquely positive tone, without the modern"hard-edge" our culture has developed (and which almost all similar listsdegenerate into). Let us get back on track. Let's emulate in ourcommunications the humble man who designed our beautiful planes. He washonest, humble, soft spoken could speak the truth, but gently and firmly,always backed up with common sense and practical knowledge. We could choosefar worse.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________