Pietenpol-List: Speaking of "improvements", or retrogrades... tail

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Speaking of "improvements", or retrogrades... tail

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-RXD0)[ASRC AEROSPACE CORP]"
I'm helping restore a 1919 design, a Standard J-1 biplane. It's got a neat tailskid I imagine was pretty normal for its time.It's got a short post where most tail skids or wheels would mount. That post hasa welded bracket that connects the tailskid itself, merely a piece of woodabout 1 1/4" square, about a foot and a half long, that pivots on that short post(about midway). The bottom end has a skid, the top end has a bungee connectedto the bottom of the plane. Basically a see saw. The unstretched position angles it down at about a 45 degreeangle.The advantage is twofold. First, the "spring" comes from bungee cord, which islighter. Second, it's REALLY cool looking and fits the genre of the plane perfectly.It has one main bungee and two small ones that recenter it (as it has allowancefor side to side travel to accommodate turns).A tail wheel could be mounted as easily as a skid plate. Has anyone seen one ona Piet? Anyone have any experience with them at all? Any interest? I can get pictures.ToolsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________