Re: Pietenpol-List: Waldo Pepper pond landing (for real) OT story

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Waldo Pepper pond landing (for real) OT story

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ANNCARLEK(at)aol.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Waldo Pepper pond landing (for real) OT story20+ years ago I watched a guy bounce his Kestrel Hawk on the initial flight. Took off, round the pattern got slow over the runway and stalled it in from about12 feet. As it stalled he shoved the gas to it. High mounted pusher prop putit up on the nose and he "wheelbarrowed" off into the weeds. he chopped theengine and killed it. He jumped out and drug it off the runway faster than I couldbend over and grab the fire extinguisher..The FAA investigator (an avid pilot) came out and told the guy. "if you are notgoing to fly again, I will call this an Accident. If your will fix the plane,go to the factory and take the training course that they have, I will cal thisan incident. and the paperwork ends here." The pilot/builder fixed it, then he took the course and flew the hours off theplane. I did not see him fly it again. I think he got very scared of it. Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________