Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar> > Steve, I bought and had built a new hangar about four years ago. It> was the best thing to happen for my Pietenpol project in a long, long> time. A couple of things I figured out after I had mine built.> Lights and electrical outlets. You can't have too much light or too> many outlets.> > Also, I don't recall where you live, but that may influence your> decisions. We are in a part of the country that can get quite a lot of> snow (though not this year). The snow seems to melt away much more> quickly on the east-facing side of the hangar, which fortunately is> the side with my door. Also as the snow melts, it tends to slough off> the roof and refreeze into a berm on the ground alongside the> west-side of the hangar. That berm acts as a dam, such that any> snowmelt dripping off the roof has only one place to go -- under the> hangar wall and across the hangar floor. The solution has been a> gutter on the west side of the hangar and religious attention to the> removal of the snow berm as it begins to form.> > Finally, a heater and insulation. I haven't insulated my hangar yet.> In retrospect, I wish I had done that before I started filling the> hangar with all kinds of stuff. I do have installed a 220 volt barn> heater that can raise the temperature about 20 degrees above the> outside temperature in the portion of the hangar that serves as my> work area. With insulation, the heater would no doubt be far more> effective. As it is, I'm wasting heat and not getting as much as I'd> like.> > Best of luck with yours and congratulations, Ken> > On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Gary Boothe >> > Congratulations, Steve! I do have some advice...> >> > Make sure your hangar is built on high ground, thereby discouraging water> > from running thru the middle of it, 1" deep, soaking all your carpets and> > making your favorite, comfortable chair smell like a wet mattress, meanwhile> > the condensation dripping from the roof and your wings, causing you to find> > a hangar on dry ground and having to move that entire wet mess, hoping that,> > somehow, it'll all dry out before Spring. That would be my advice.> >> > Gary Boothe> > NX308MB> >> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangarCould I get some hangar advice? I have bought a hangar in a new set of hangarsthat will be constructed this spring. It will be 40 x 32 with side folding doors. Nothing fancy, just a hangar. It willhave one elect box and one plugin, It will also have water run to it. We areworking on a septic plan. Pipes will be laid for that. I will be like many guys. My hangar will be worth more than my plane. Any advice on what to do? IE fans, work space, electricity, sealing doors, etc?Blue Skies,Steve D ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Congratulations, Steve! I do have some advice...Make sure your hangar is built on high ground, thereby discouraging waterfrom running thru the middle of it, 1" deep, soaking all your carpets andmaking your favorite, comfortable chair smell like a wet mattress, meanwhilethe condensation dripping from the roof and your wings, causing you to finda hangar on dry ground and having to move that entire wet mess, hoping that,somehow, it'll all dry out before Spring. That would be my advice.Gary BootheNX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Bickers
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> jarheadpilot82 > Boys,> > There are huge advantages to living in the "backwoods" of N.W. > Tennessee. We do what we want with our own property. No > restrictions whatsoever on putting a grass strip on your own > property. NO building permits required for anything under 5000 sq. > ft. A funny story was related to me by a member of our local EAA > chapter. He was living in CA and wanted to move here. He called the > State of TN Department of Aviation with a question. "What does one > have to do to put in a grass strip on his own property"?. The boy > on the other end said "Well,....usually they start off with a > bulldozer....."> Love it here!> > Dan Helsper> Puryear, TN> > > -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Hans van der Voort
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "dgaldrich"
I want to know how do you finish the wing border (3 piece wing) aside the centersection. If you have any photos .. best. I think close it with plywood, butit is necesary?.. I am thinking in how to cover or not this side.thank you--------Mario Giacummohttp://vgmk1.blogspot.comRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: buying a hangar
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "jarheadpilot82"
Second the motion about the lights and outlets. Never have too many. I put adouble box (2 normal house type outlets, 4 plugs total) about every 6 feet andthat is almost not enough in some places. Don't forget the 220 outlets for thingslike welders, compressors, etc and the fact that the heater, if you haveone, will need its own dedicated circuit. My hangar in Maine has the tubingin the concrete floor for radiant heat. Haven't hooked it up yet but the guysthat did the same, LOVE it. The incremental cost of the tubing was very smallin comparison to the ease of operation and efficiency.I think current electrical code requires vapor-tight lights and they ain't cheap.Check with your local electrician. I put 12 of the 2 tube 4 foot fixturesin my hangar (same size as yours) and it's about right. Also have a couple cheaposon plug in cords over the work bench. That IS enough.DaveRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: buying a hangar
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
You guys are making me jealous. A friend of mine asked me to do some checking tofind out what it would take to put a grass strip and hangar on land in my county.County ordinance requires--50 acre minimum -no more than one hangar and 3 airplanes - ever-a grass strip including lateral clear space 200 feet on each side of centerline(400 feet wide) by 2500 feet long with 400 feet of over run and underrun (ateach end) totalling 3300 linear feet. I will do the math for you- that is 30ACRES OF RUNWAY AREA! Unbelievable for a guy wanting to put a Piet in his backyard!And that doesn't count the restrictions from other homes. Again - unbelievable!You guys are lucky indeed to have a hangar. I know it may not be where you live(except Brian), but you are lucky (blessed) nonetheless to have your own hangar.--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

There's no such thing as too much light or too many electrical outlets. Aslong as you have water and septic, might as well put in a toilet, and maybeeven a shower. You never know when the wife might turn "Loreena Bobbitt" onyou and you'll need a place to stayJack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, VirginiaWhere for the next several months we are actually living in our hangar-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: helspersew(at)aol.com
most guys will install metal farings that can be removed for inspection purposesor wing removal. I chose to just cover mine with fabric and call it a day. I figure that if I ever need to remove the wings, I will just cut the fabric andreplace it later. Perhaps there are pics on the west coast Piet site. Thereis a lot to see there.Good luck,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: buying a hangar
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jarheadpilot82
Boys,There are huge advantages to living in the "backwoods" of N.W. Tennessee. We do what we want with our own property. No restrictions whatsoever on putting a grass strip on your own property. NO building permits required for anything under 5000 sq. ft. A funny story was related to me by a member of our local EAA chapter. He was living in CA and wanted to move here. He called the State of TN Department of Aviation with a question. "What does one have to do to put in a grass strip on his own property"?. The boy on the other end said "Well,....usually they start off with a bulldozer....."Love it here!Dan HelsperPuryear, TN-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: helspersew(at)aol.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: buying a hangarIn nonurban Texas. 10 acres is required for a runway for my vtail. 100 ft wideby a half mile long. ok if it is in west Texas you can cut the width inhalf so 5 acres. but no one wantsto sell me a 50 ft wide strip of land. ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> jarheadpilot82
That is classic!! That is what I grew up with in Georgia. In Virginia, the way you start is "NO"...GeneOn Dec 6, 2012, at 6:18 PM, helspersew(at)aol.com wrote:> Boys,> > There are huge advantages to living in the "backwoods" of N.W. Tennessee. We do what we want with our own property. No restrictions whatsoever on putting a grass strip on your own property. NO building permits required for anything under 5000 sq. ft. A funny story was related to me by a member of our local EAA chapter. He was living in CA and wanted to move here. He called the State of TN Department of Aviation with a question. "What does one have to do to put in a grass strip on his own property"?. The boy on the other end said "Well,....usually they start off with a bulldozer....."> > Love it here!> > Dan Helsper> Puryear, TN> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Andrew Eldredge
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: buying a hangar
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: TOM MICHELLE BRANT
Steve;You saw what Randy, Craig, and I had at 8T8. I echo most of the sentiments fromthe others, and emphasize the following, if you'll only be there during funtimes and not spending whole days at a time:-we always got grass clippings, dust, and driving rain in under the hangar doorsuntil we installed some hanging-down carpet strips on the bottom of the doors.We kept some long boards handy, "weather boards", to anchor the strips tothe floor when driving storms were expected from the direction of the hangar doors.You don't want water in your hangar.-the hangars that adjoined ours didn't have any protection from driving rain inunder the doors of their hangars, so if it got into their hangars, it got intoours. Good insurance to find discarded pallets to stack stuff on in case watergets in. Water is not good for most things that we keep in hangars.-you will never have enough plugs. I had a 25 ft. cord reel that I never installedbut it would have been very, very handy. You always need power around thehangar.-go vertical with stuff. Most hangars have high walls and ceilings, so go verticalor you'll waste all the volume in the upper reaches of your hangar.-Randy applied a nice garage floor coating on the hangar floor when he got it,and it is great to always have a durable, clean, attractive floor. The Lowe'stype stuff goes on pretty easy. If the floor is handsome, you'll tend to keepthe place cleaner.-you can never have too much light in a hangar, but it will never be in the rightplace ;o)--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

To the original poster: Whatever you do, don=99t buy the whole field. Just buy the hangar if you want to have time to build and fly. If you end up with the whole field, you may find that you become less an aviator, and more an agriculturalist. Be careful, I speak from experience.Gene: That=99s because you live on the wrong side of the mountain! Out here in the Shenandoah Valley, we still have a few freedoms (at least until the city folks find out).Brett PhillipsWorking on a model A in Strasburg, VA, about 15 miles east of West By God Virginia.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack"
Here in the Great White North all land, seaand ice is federaly mandated as airfieldready. There have been a number of legalbattles over that from provincial andmunicipal governments but they have lostevery time. The only place not allowed isin a "built up area". That's reasonable.Also, being a federal responsibility, there'sno compliance with local building codesrequired either. Of course a little commonsense does make life somewhat easier forall concerned.ClifA Canadian is someone who knows how tomake love in a canoe. Pierre Burton I am nearly overcome with a sudden urge to move to Tennessee. Andrew Eldredge Provo, UT________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > Ken Bickers > Steve,> > I know that country well. I was raised outside of Austin. My wife is> from Lubbock. My dad grew up in Slaton. I've even had the experience> of being snowed in while at a horse show in San Antonio, during the> great blizzard of '72 or maybe '73. I believe that was the last time> San Antonio saw snow that measured two inches in depth.> > Your hangar issues will probably have to do more with heat, humidity,> and drainage. The heat and humidity are best dealt with by installing> a fridge to keep beer cooled sufficiently to keep your body> temperature at a level where consciousness is possible. As for> drainage, when those hurricanes and tropical storms stall out over> south Texas, they seem to dump unbelievable volumes of water that has> to go somewhere. You may need to build your hangar on stilts. That> will help keep the snakes out, too.> > Cheers, Ken> > > On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Dortch, Steven D MAJ MIL USA NGB> >> > Ken, what is this "snow" of which you speak? Does it have something to do withwhen water freezes? Think water freezes at about 42 degrees (or is it 52?)I really don't remember since moving to San Antonio.> >> > Seriously, I am less worried about heating. It really doesn't get that colddown here, that often. If it does, I don't go out. the people here are crazywhen it gets the least bit icy. I may look for a "Pig Pad" that is a rubberizedmat that heats up electrically. Good for standing on and keeping your feet warm.> >> > I will try to put as many electrical outlets in as is reasonable.> >> > I was raised in the North Texas Panhandle and so the cold here bothers me verylittle. BTW there is nothing between Amarillo, Texas and the North Pole buta Bob wire fence and half of that is down.> >> > Blue Skies,> > Steve> >> >> > ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > Ken Bickers > Steve,> > I know that country well. I was raised outside of Austin. My wife is> from Lubbock. My dad grew up in Slaton. I've even had the experience> of being snowed in while at a horse show in San Antonio, during the> great blizzard of '72 or maybe '73. I believe that was the last time> San Antonio saw snow that measured two inches in depth.> > Your hangar issues will probably have to do more with heat, humidity,> and drainage. The heat and humidity are best dealt with by installing> a fridge to keep beer cooled sufficiently to keep your body> temperature at a level where consciousness is possible. As for> drainage, when those hurricanes and tropical storms stall out over> south Texas, they seem to dump unbelievable volumes of water that has> to go somewhere. You may need to build your hangar on stilts. That> will help keep the snakes out, too.> > Cheers, Ken> > > On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Dortch, Steven D MAJ MIL USA NGB> >> > Ken, what is this "snow" of which you speak? Does it have something to do withwhen water freezes? Think water freezes at about 42 degrees (or is it 52?)I really don't remember since moving to San Antonio.> >> > Seriously, I am less worried about heating. It really doesn't get that colddown here, that often. If it does, I don't go out. the people here are crazywhen it gets the least bit icy. I may look for a "Pig Pad" that is a rubberizedmat that heats up electrically. Good for standing on and keeping your feet warm.> >> > I will try to put as many electrical outlets in as is reasonable.> >> > I was raised in the North Texas Panhandle and so the cold here bothers me verylittle. BTW there is nothing between Amarillo, Texas and the North Pole buta Bob wire fence and half of that is down.> >> > Blue Skies,> > Steve> >> >> > ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Fay
Thank you Curt, I saw this picture uncounted times, and I never understood whatthis butt rib was.. until now.Best regards.--------Mario Giacummohttp://vgmk1.blogspot.comRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 10:54:26 -0600Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: buying a hangar
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > Ken Bickers > Nobody but a city slicker from the "panhandle" would call barbed wire "bob wire"!> > Gene> > On Dec 7, 2012, at 3:14 PM, "Dortch, Steven D MAJ MIL USA NGB" > > > > Ken, what is this "snow" of which you speak? Does it have something to do withwhen water freezes? Think water freezes at about 42 degrees (or is it 52?)I really don't remember since moving to San Antonio. > > > > Seriously, I am less worried about heating. It really doesn't get that colddown here, that often. If it does, I don't go out. the people here are crazywhen it gets the least bit icy. I may look for a "Pig Pad" that is a rubberizedmat that heats up electrically. Good for standing on and keeping your feet warm.> > > > I will try to put as many electrical outlets in as is reasonable. > > > > I was raised in the North Texas Panhandle and so the cold here bothers me verylittle. BTW there is nothing between Amarillo, Texas and the North Pole buta Bob wire fence and half of that is down. > > > > Blue Skies,> > Steve > > > > > > ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangarKen, what is this "snow" of which you speak? Does it have something to do withwhen water freezes? Think water freezes at about 42 degrees (or is it 52?) I reallydon't remember since moving to San Antonio. Seriously, I am less worried about heating. It really doesn't get that cold downhere, that often. If it does, I don't go out. the people here are crazy whenit gets the least bit icy. I may look for a "Pig Pad" that is a rubberized matthat heats up electrically. Good for standing on and keeping your feet warm.I will try to put as many electrical outlets in as is reasonable. I was raised in the North Texas Panhandle and so the cold here bothers me verylittle. BTW there is nothing between Amarillo, Texas and the North Pole but aBob wire fence and half of that is down. Blue Skies,Steve ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangarAt the initial hangar planning meeting everyone voiced a concern about keepingwater out. I was in a rented hangar here before. Good hangar, except when a drivingrainstorm came from the north. It blew water under the door. so you hada 1/16th inch puddle in the hangar. Then with the high humidity it took foreverto dry out. An old architect told me to design your building so that there was no way watercould get in. Then make it 6 inches higher!The floors will slope toward the door and ramp will slope toward the taxiway. Weare on the "high" end of this field. drainage is a big deal. Blue Skies,Steve D----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangarOh I forgot to tell you. The Texas Panhandle was talking about seceeding from Texas.But they said Lubbock had to go with the Panhandle and so the whole dealwas off. Blue Skies,Steve D----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Ken Bickers
Nobody but a city slicker from the "panhandle" would call barbed wire "bob wire"!GeneOn Dec 7, 2012, at 3:14 PM, "Dortch, Steven D MAJ MIL USA NGB" wrote:> > Ken, what is this "snow" of which you speak? Does it have something to do withwhen water freezes? Think water freezes at about 42 degrees (or is it 52?) Ireally don't remember since moving to San Antonio. > > Seriously, I am less worried about heating. It really doesn't get that cold downhere, that often. If it does, I don't go out. the people here are crazy whenit gets the least bit icy. I may look for a "Pig Pad" that is a rubberizedmat that heats up electrically. Good for standing on and keeping your feet warm.> > I will try to put as many electrical outlets in as is reasonable. > > I was raised in the North Texas Panhandle and so the cold here bothers me verylittle. BTW there is nothing between Amarillo, Texas and the North Pole buta Bob wire fence and half of that is down. > > Blue Skies,> Steve > > > ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gene Rambo
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangarActually prounounced BOB WAIR. I was raised in Morse (find that on a map) and nearMiddle Well, Texas. Some time was spent in Buna Vista (near Borger.) I onlygive Amarillo (pronounced Amarilla) Biggest town I lived in growing up was DumasPopulatioin 15000.Blue Skies.Steve D----- Original Message -----
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> > owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>>>>>> Steve, I bought and had built a new hangar about four years ago. It>> was the best thing to happen for my Pietenpol project in a long, long>> time. A couple of things I figured out after I had mine built.>> Lights and electrical outlets. You can't have too much light or too>> many outlets.>>>> Also, I don't recall where you live, but that may influence your>> decisions. We are in a part of the country that can get quite a lot of>> snow (though not this year). The snow seems to melt away much more>> quickly on the east-facing side of the hangar, which fortunately is>> the side with my door. Also as the snow melts, it tends to slough off>> the roof and refreeze into a berm on the ground alongside the>> west-side of the hangar. That berm acts as a dam, such that any>> snowmelt dripping off the roof has only one place to go -- under the>> hangar wall and across the hangar floor. The solution has been a>> gutter on the west side of the hangar and religious attention to the>> removal of the snow berm as it begins to form.>>>> Finally, a heater and insulation. I haven't insulated my hangar yet.>> In retrospect, I wish I had done that before I started filling the>> hangar with all kinds of stuff. I do have installed a 220 volt barn>> heater that can raise the temperature about 20 degrees above the>> outside temperature in the portion of the hangar that serves as my>> work area. With insulation, the heater would no doubt be far more>> effective. As it is, I'm wasting heat and not getting as much as I'd>> like.>>>> Best of luck with yours and congratulations, Ken>>>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Gary Boothe > >>> > Congratulations, Steve! I do have some advice...>> >>> > Make sure your hangar is built on high ground, thereby discouraging water>> > from running thru the middle of it, 1" deep, soaking all your carpets and>> > making your favorite, comfortable chair smell like a wet mattress, meanwhile>> > the condensation dripping from the roof and your wings, causing you to find>> > a hangar on dry ground and having to move that entire wet mess, hoping that,>> > somehow, it'll all dry out before Spring. That would be my advice.>> >>> > Gary Boothe>> > NX308MB>> >>> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

> > Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> >> > owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
> > Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar> > To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> >> >> >> Steve, I bought and had built a new hangar about four years ago. It> >> was the best thing to happen for my Pietenpol project in a long, long> >> time. A couple of things I figured out after I had mine built.> >> Lights and electrical outlets. You can't have too much light or too> >> many outlets.> >>> >> Also, I don't recall where you live, but that may influence your> >> decisions. We are in a part of the country that can get quite a lot of> >> snow (though not this year). The snow seems to melt away much more> >> quickly on the east-facing side of the hangar, which fortunately is> >> the side with my door. Also as the snow melts, it tends to slough off> >> the roof and refreeze into a berm on the ground alongside the> >> west-side of the hangar. That berm acts as a dam, such that any> >> snowmelt dripping off the roof has only one place to go -- under the> >> hangar wall and across the hangar floor. The solution has been a> >> gutter on the west side of the hangar and religious attention to the> >> removal of the snow berm as it begins to form.> >>> >> Finally, a heater and insulation. I haven't insulated my hangar yet.> >> In retrospect, I wish I had done that before I started filling the> >> hangar with all kinds of stuff. I do have installed a 220 volt barn> >> heater that can raise the temperature about 20 degrees above the> >> outside temperature in the portion of the hangar that serves as my> >> work area. With insulation, the heater would no doubt be far more> >> effective. As it is, I'm wasting heat and not getting as much as I'd> >> like.> >>> >> Best of luck with yours and congratulations, Ken> >>> >> > Congratulations, Steve! I do have some advice...> >> >> >> > Make sure your hangar is built on high ground, thereby discouraging water> >> > from running thru the middle of it, 1" deep, soaking all your carpets and> >> > making your favorite, comfortable chair smell like a wet mattress, meanwhile> >> > the condensation dripping from the roof and your wings, causing you to find> >> > a hangar on dry ground and having to move that entire wet mess, hoping that,> >> > somehow, it'll all dry out before Spring. That would be my advice.> >> >> >> > Gary Boothe> >> > NX308MB> >> >> >> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> >> > owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
> > Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar> > To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> >> >> >> Steve, I bought and had built a new hangar about four years ago. It> >> was the best thing to happen for my Pietenpol project in a long, long> >> time. A couple of things I figured out after I had mine built.> >> Lights and electrical outlets. You can't have too much light or too> >> many outlets.> >>> >> Also, I don't recall where you live, but that may influence your> >> decisions. We are in a part of the country that can get quite a lot of> >> snow (though not this year). The snow seems to melt away much more> >> quickly on the east-facing side of the hangar, which fortunately is> >> the side with my door. Also as the snow melts, it tends to slough off> >> the roof and refreeze into a berm on the ground alongside the> >> west-side of the hangar. That berm acts as a dam, such that any> >> snowmelt dripping off the roof has only one place to go -- under the> >> hangar wall and across the hangar floor. The solution has been a> >> gutter on the west side of the hangar and religious attention to the> >> removal of the snow berm as it begins to form.> >>> >> Finally, a heater and insulation. I haven't insulated my hangar yet.> >> In retrospect, I wish I had done that before I started filling the> >> hangar with all kinds of stuff. I do have installed a 220 volt barn> >> heater that can raise the temperature about 20 degrees above the> >> outside temperature in the portion of the hangar that serves as my> >> work area. With insulation, the heater would no doubt be far more> >> effective. As it is, I'm wasting heat and not getting as much as I'd> >> like.> >>> >> Best of luck with yours and congratulations, Ken> >>> >> > Congratulations, Steve! I do have some advice...> >> >> >> > Make sure your hangar is built on high ground, thereby discouraging water> >> > from running thru the middle of it, 1" deep, soaking all your carpets and> >> > making your favorite, comfortable chair smell like a wet mattress, meanwhile> >> > the condensation dripping from the roof and your wings, causing you to find> >> > a hangar on dry ground and having to move that entire wet mess, hoping that,> >> > somehow, it'll all dry out before Spring. That would be my advice.> >> >> >> > Gary Boothe> >> > NX308MB> >> >> >> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> > >> >> Steve, I bought and had built a new hangar about four years ago. It>> was the best thing to happen for my Pietenpol project in a long, long>> time. A couple of things I figured out after I had mine built.>> Lights and electrical outlets. You can't have too much light or too>> many outlets.>> >> Also, I don't recall where you live, but that may influence your>> decisions. We are in a part of the country that can get quite a lot of>> snow (though not this year). The snow seems to melt away much more>> quickly on the east-facing side of the hangar, which fortunately is>> the side with my door. Also as the snow melts, it tends to slough off>> the roof and refreeze into a berm on the ground alongside the>> west-side of the hangar. That berm acts as a dam, such that any>> snowmelt dripping off the roof has only one place to go -- under the>> hangar wall and across the hangar floor. The solution has been a>> gutter on the west side of the hangar and religious attention to the>> removal of the snow berm as it begins to form.>> >> Finally, a heater and insulation. I haven't insulated my hangar yet.>> In retrospect, I wish I had done that before I started filling the>> hangar with all kinds of stuff. I do have installed a 220 volt barn>> heater that can raise the temperature about 20 degrees above the>> outside temperature in the portion of the hangar that serves as my>> work area. With insulation, the heater would no doubt be far more>> effective. As it is, I'm wasting heat and not getting as much as I'd>> like.>> >> Best of luck with yours and congratulations, Ken>> >> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Gary Boothe >> >>> Congratulations, Steve! I do have some advice...>>> >>> Make sure your hangar is built on high ground, thereby discouraging water>>> from running thru the middle of it, 1" deep, soaking all your carpets and>>> making your favorite, comfortable chair smell like a wet mattress, meanwhile>>> the condensation dripping from the roof and your wings, causing you to find>>> a hangar on dry ground and having to move that entire wet mess, hoping that,>>> somehow, it'll all dry out before Spring. That would be my advice.>>> >>> Gary Boothe>>> NX308MB>>> >>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> >>> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
> > Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar> > To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> > > > > >> Steve, I bought and had built a new hangar about four years ago. It> >> was the best thing to happen for my Pietenpol project in a long, long> >> time. A couple of things I figured out after I had mine built.> >> Lights and electrical outlets. You can't have too much light or too> >> many outlets.> >> > >> Also, I don't recall where you live, but that may influence your> >> decisions. We are in a part of the country that can get quite a lot of> >> snow (though not this year). The snow seems to melt away much more> >> quickly on the east-facing side of the hangar, which fortunately is> >> the side with my door. Also as the snow melts, it tends to slough off> >> the roof and refreeze into a berm on the ground alongside the> >> west-side of the hangar. That berm acts as a dam, such that any> >> snowmelt dripping off the roof has only one place to go -- under the> >> hangar wall and across the hangar floor. The solution has been a> >> gutter on the west side of the hangar and religious attention to the> >> removal of the snow berm as it begins to form.> >> > >> Finally, a heater and insulation. I haven't insulated my hangar yet.> >> In retrospect, I wish I had done that before I started filling the> >> hangar with all kinds of stuff. I do have installed a 220 volt barn> >> heater that can raise the temperature about 20 degrees above the> >> outside temperature in the portion of the hangar that serves as my> >> work area. With insulation, the heater would no doubt be far more> >> effective. As it is, I'm wasting heat and not getting as much as I'd> >> like.> >> > >> Best of luck with yours and congratulations, Ken> >> > >>> Congratulations, Steve! I do have some advice...> >>> > >>> Make sure your hangar is built on high ground, thereby discouraging water> >>> from running thru the middle of it, 1" deep, soaking all your carpets and> >>> making your favorite, comfortable chair smell like a wet mattress, meanwhile> >>> the condensation dripping from the roof and your wings, causing you to find> >>> a hangar on dry ground and having to move that entire wet mess, hoping that,> >>> somehow, it'll all dry out before Spring. That would be my advice.> >>> > >>> Gary Boothe> >>> NX308MB> >>> > >>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Greg Bacon
I've experienced some frustration tonight in forming the u shaped brackets which hold the center section. I cannot get enough bend in the second bend to make it work - the jaws of my bender only give me about a 10 deg bend after the first 90 deg part is formed (hope that makes sense). I tried placing the remainder in a vice with radiused jaws and pounding it over but as close as I get=2C I'm not happy with the result. The bend is just too loose. Any suggestions?Tom B. ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 09:13:09 -0600Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: buying a hangar