Pietenpol-List: cowl attach tabs

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: cowl attach tabs

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: cowl attach tabsRick, I used stainless truss head wood screws to screw my cowling attach tabs to the firewall. They screwed thru the thin 1/8" firewalland then into the fuselage framework on the sides and bottom. On the top I glued 'backing' plywood squares to the backside ofthe firewall so the screws would have more depth to bite into on those upper tabs. Worked like a charm. According to the Tony Bingelis books, cowlings should never be attached to the motor in any way because of engine vibrationand shake, especially during start up and shutdown. Canteliever the whole thing off of the firewall and you will get long life outof your cowling. I know some might be getting tired of me mentioning my Uncle Tony but he has some outstanding advice oncowling design and attachments and he saved me a TON of weight up there. I'm often time surprised at how battleship-like somecowling attachment methods are when they don't have to be. Mike C.________________________________________________________________________________