Pietenpol-List: straight axle landing gear

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: straight axle landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
John Dilatush's "Mountain Piet" (now Greg Bacon's) uses a pair of torque tubes connected to the landing gear axle with chain links to keep it from rotating. I don't have any closeups of the arrangement=2C but there are some photos here: http://www.flysquirrel.net/piets/John_piet.html . Maybe Greg has some closeups of the anti-rotation setup on Mountain Piet? It looks like the torque tubes are rigidly fastened between the ash gear legs and the axle moves up and down between them but the links restrain the axle from any rotation. Also on the page listed above=2C about 2/3 way down=2C is a clear photo of the chain links that John used in place of clevis bits to join his cables to the control bellcranks. Far less cost and probably less diddling around than the clevis pin=2C washer=2C and cotter pin way. Oscar ZunigaMedford=2C ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"proud member of the West Coast Piet Squadron ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: straight axle landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
I've ignored axle rotation. I didn't want to drillholes or weld anything to the axle. Just myown paranoia. What can I say. :-)So here's a couple of pics of my antirotationdevice.Also the chain link is less costly but since thereare two clevis, two cotters and two plates Ithink there's somewhat more diddling. Diddling is not necessarily a bad thing.Depends on who's helping............ :-)ClifEverything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Einstein ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: straight axle landing gear

Post by matronics »

The entire brake assembly is free floating on theaxle. The axle does whatever it would do ifthere weren't any brakes at all. I went througha few trees worth of paper to come up with theposition and angles that would minimize therotational movement of the brake assembly asthe axle goes up and down over bumps.I don't expect to be using the brakes movingover anything that bumpy anyway and I certainlydon't plan on hitting the brakes on touchdown! :-)And not when moving at more than a snails paceeither. Mostly for runup and pivot turning. Justlike the Chief I presently fly. On the grass at mystrip, idle the engine and it stops pretty quick onit's own.This pic illustrates the main parts. The disc, ofcourse, bolts to the wheel hub.There is a largebearing sheet between that and the plate on theright shown by a thick dark line. The only thingsattached to the axle are the end cap and splitcollar. They hold everything in place andalignment. Clear as mud ??? :-)ClifNothing worse could happen to one thanto be completely understood. C.G.Jung>> Am trying to visualize how this works, so the white metal arm is free to > pivot up and back down with the axel and still prevents rotation under > braking? I assume we only need 2-3 inches of travel for the axel?>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 165#398165>>> -----> No virus found in this message.> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: straight axle landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: > cdawson5854(at)shaw.ca
Thank you Clif I appreciate the info as I have been very interested in the types of brakes and ways other have delt with the rotation issue. On my first Piet NX40772 I used a rather crude method although as I think about it I suppose it fit the era of the design and it did work. I am a simple person so I am facinated at the enginuity and craftsmanship of others. Am I correct that you live up in Beautiful BC? Greetings from a fellow N. Westerner Craig
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Craig Aho
You're welcome. Yes, I'm in Vancouver.Since you said "up" can I assume you'rein Washington?Clif ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Could be Aircraft Related...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Aren't our cables already twisted? Or is it just me?Don't answer that!!! :-)Clif>>From http://www.theautochannel.com/mania/ind ... 00/118.htm> [Why'd They Do That? - Car Antennas]> John McElroy, American Driver> "And, finally tonight, in a segment we like to call ?oWhy?Td they do > that, I?Tm going to attempt to explain why all car antennas are not > alike. While many antennas are smooth, have you ever noticed how some > others look like they have a wire wrapped around them, or have a spiral > groove in them? You know what that?Ts for? It?Ts to cut down on wind > noise and vibration. That spiral shape actually helps the antenna slice > through the wind more easily, so it?Ts quieter. When an antenna is > mounted on the front fender, as the wind comes off it, that noise is > actually directed right at the driver. These spiral-type antennas direct > the noise off to the side of the car. And you know how automotive > engineers test these antennas to see how quiet they are? They go outside > and swish them around like swords!">> --------> Semper Fi,>> Terry Hand> Athens, GA________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: 3 days to rebuild--very impressive

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Don Emch"
Looks GREAT Mario! Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: 3 days to rebuild--very impressive
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: straight axle landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: cdawson5854(at)shaw.ca
Yes=2C Seattle area. Howdy Neighbor. Craig
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: straight axle landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
> > The entire brake assembly is free floating on the> axle. The axle does whatever it would do if> there weren't any brakes at all. I went through> a few trees worth of paper to come up with the> position and angles that would minimize the> rotational movement of the brake assembly as> the axle goes up and down over bumps.> > I don't expect to be using the brakes moving> over anything that bumpy anyway and I certainly> don't plan on hitting the brakes on touchdown! :-)> And not when moving at more than a snails pace> either. Mostly for runup and pivot turning. Just> like the Chief I presently fly. On the grass at my> strip=2C idle the engine and it stops pretty quick on> it's own.> > This pic illustrates the main parts. The disc=2C of> course=2C bolts to the wheel hub.There is a large> bearing sheet between that and the plate on the> right shown by a thick dark line. The only things> attached to the axle are the end cap and split> collar. They hold everything in place and> alignment. Clear as mud ??? :-)> > Clif> Nothing worse could happen to one than> to be completely understood.> C.G.Jung> > > > > >> > Am trying to visualize how this works=2C so the white metal arm is free to > > pivot up and back down with the axel and still prevents rotation under> > braking? I assume we only need 2-3 inches of travel for the axel?> >> >> >> >> > Read this topic online here:> >> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 165#398165> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > -----> > No virus found in this message.> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com> > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: straight axle landing gear

Post by matronics »

> > The entire brake assembly is free floating on the > axle. The axle does whatever it would do if > there weren't any brakes at all. I went through > a few trees worth of paper to come up with the > position and angles that would minimize the > rotational movement of the brake assembly as > the axle goes up and down over bumps. > > I don't expect to be using the brakes moving > over anything that bumpy anyway and I certainly > don't plan on hitting the brakes on touchdown! :-) > And not when moving at more than a snails pace > either. Mostly for runup and pivot turning. Just > like the Chief I presently fly. On the grass at my > strip, idle the engine and it stops pretty quick on > it's own. > > This pic illustrates the main parts. The disc, of > course, bolts to the wheel hub.There is a large > bearing sheet between that and the plate on the > right shown by a thick dark line. The only things > attached to the axle are the end cap and split > collar. They hold everything in place and > alignment. Clear as mud ??? :-) > > Clif > Nothing worse could happen to one than > to be completely understood. > C.G.Jung > > > > > > > > Am trying to visualize how this works, so the white metal arm is free to > > pivot up and back down with the axel and still prevents rotation under > > braking? I assume we only need 2-3 inches of travel for the axel? > > > > > > > > > > Read this topic online here: > > > > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 165#398165 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ----- > > No virus found in this message. > > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > No virus found in this message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com04/09/13____________________ ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: =0A
=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0AYou're welcome. Yes=2C I'm in Vancouver.=0ASince you said "up" can I assume you're=0Ain Washington?=0A =0AClif=0A=0A ----- Original Message ----- =0A