Pietenpol-List: Re: Repairman certificate questions

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
NASA did studies on shimmy. You can find the papers online. I downloaded thekey ones but can't find right now. From what I remember, when the mechanics ofthe pivot and angle etc are all done right and there is still shimmy it is mostlikely due to tire sidewall flex. When the tire deforms and the contact patchdeflects sideways then the center of friction is offset from the pivot centerline which causes the wheel to change heading. At a certain point a restoringforce is created which causes the sidewalls to flex in the opposite directionand if all this happens at a rate which is harmonically related to the naturalresonance frequency of the system then you get a powerful shimmy. In thiscase a stiffer tire or more air will cure it.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Repairman certificate questions
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "dgaldrich"
Malcolm---that is just a beautiful looking result you got using the Sherwin Williams gloss latex and with buffing it looks even better. Unless you really want the flat, unfinished look of latex then the that is okaybut yours is the very first latex method I've seen that rivals what we normally see on aircraft and auto finishes. Outstanding looking.May I ask what your primer coats (if any) are to fill the weave? You've got some outstanding results there.Mike C.OhioFor anyone interested in latex, I just put a very short video on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX611NL ... e=youtu.be , that shows the top wing of the Micro Mong biplane that I'm currently working on. The video shows the difference between polishing and not polishing. Both look great. It just depends in the type of finish that you're looking for. I'm a sucker for smooth and shiny.Malcolm Morrisonwienerdogaero.com________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Repairman certificate questions
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tkreiner"
The answer to your question 2 is "not likely". Here's FAR 65.77 Experience Requirements:QuoteEach applicant for a mechanic certificate or rating must present either an appropriategraduation certificate or certificate of completion from a certificatedaviation maintenance technician school or documentary evidence, satisfactoryto the Administrator, of(a) At least 18 months of practical experience with the procedures, practices,materials, tools, machine tools, and equipment generally used in constructing,maintaining, or altering airframes, or powerplants appropriate to the ratingsought; or(b) At least 30 months of practical experience concurrently performing the dutiesappropriate to both the airframe and powerplant ratings. End QuoteThe catch phrase is "satisfactory to the Administrator". Your FSDO would be thepoint of contact but I'm willing to bet that they would require the experienceto be under the direct supervision of a certified mechanic and all work doneto "certified" standards. I doubt that work on a Ford or Corvair engine wouldcount as experience toward the powerplant section.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Repairman certificate questions
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Brewer
When I was at OSH a year or two ago, we met with the FAA guys, who were surprisinglyknowledgable and helpful, regarding this subject.Around that time, EAA started classes for the LSA (only) A&P classes. The classesrun for 40 hours - a full week - if memory serves me correctly and are onlyoffered at EAA headquarters at Wittman field. The classes run about $3600.or so.After taking the classes, you have the A&P ticket to do everything on LSA aircraft.Fix 'em, sign 'em off, the whole 9 yards.Now here's the truly neat thing: Once you have 18 months of experience, YOU MAYSIGN YOURSELF OFF AS HAVING HAD THE EXPERIENCE for the full A&P license, andvoila, your're a full fledged A&P capable of working on any aircraft!--------Tom KreinerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:51:46 -0400
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Repairman certificate questions

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Mueller
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Repairman certificate questions
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: gliderx5(at)comcast.net
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Barnstormers PietenpolJoshuaharel $1,500.00

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Mueller
Paul,Do you have a link?--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 22:37:44 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Barnstormers PietenpolJoshuaharel $1,500.00
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jim hyde
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "William Wynne"
GREAT video - thanks for posting.It was a very similar video of Mike Cuys Award winning Piet that hooked me - "manI have to get one of those".And I am making steady progress on my Piet I started 3 years ago.--------Bob 'Early Builder' DewenterDayton OHRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Repairman certificate questions
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Tom, I understand that your comments may have been light hearted, but follow this storybelow for a different perspective on maintenance ratings:.Almost a quarter of a century ago, I graduated from arguably the finest A&P program in the world (Embry-Riddle) with a 3.85 GPA after 2,880 hours of documented classroom instruction from some of the greatest mechanics who ever wrenched on a plane. Men like this guy: http://flycorvair.net/2014/02/23/erau-m ... integrity/ I intentionally selected Mike Williams as my O&P examiner, as he was known to be very tough, and actually failed a lot of candidates. Being able to say "Mike Williams was my examiner" was enough to get an entry job in many respected FBO's in the South East then..My first job was changing a cylinder on a Navion that was flying a Man and his family to the Bahamas the following day. The pay was $100. I took the money, quietly found the most experienced mechanic at the airport, and told him I would give it all to him if he came over and directly supervised what I was doing. Some people thought of this as giving money away, but I had just spent 2.5 years spending money to learn, now I was learning for free. The work went smoothly, the plane make the trip without issue.The Mechanics name was Steve Upson, we are friends to this day. The Pilots name was Bruce Smith, I was later friends with him, you can see his picture and read of his life at the bottom of this link: http://flycorvair.net/2014/01/21/risk-m ... ence-page/ He died 17 years after I changed the cylinder. He was well enough known that his obituary was in the NYT. He had 25,000 hrs in planes, but he died flying a Swift 10 miles on a ferry permit, because the person doing the preflight was not careful enough, and missed something they shouldn't have. .If you listen to mechanics speak, a number of people will say "I have and A&P".Now note that the best of them will say a slightly different phrase "I am anA&P". No one is going to become an A&P by taking a 40 hour class or finding someloophole to get a piece of paper in their wallet. Many people in maintenance,not just me, think that the LSA mechanic rating, where a guy who's whole trainingis 40 hours can then can go judge airworthiness on imported aircraft thatare primarily flown by student pilots who where taught by LSA-CFI's with 125hours TT, is a preposterous joke. Just because it is 'legal' doesn't make itright, nor does it mean that people with ethics participate in it..Having the repairman's certificate for your own plane is a good idea, and a validmaintenance path. Trying to acquire an A&P by learning the least amount possibleso then it will be 'legal' to work on planes that other people familieswill fly is not a morally defensible idea. Being a good mechanic is a seriouscraft that requires a lot of work, and the judgment to know what things you shouldnot do. It is not to be taken as a joke. Some people understand this, othersdon't. The guy who did the inspection on the plane Bruce Smith died in didnot. -ww.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________