Pietenpol-List: Varnish:

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Sherri Morton"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Smoke SystemThanx, Mike! This is great! I'm a long way from needing it, but will file it away for easy reference. I really appreciate the generous way you share the joy of flying with the rest of us. Don C.________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Varnish
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Domenico Bellissimo"
I apparently have missed some vital info on varnish. I am getting close to covertime and understand the conventional (non-urethane) spar varnish will be meltedby the MEK in the Stits process covering. Stits recommends using a 2 partepoxy varnish over the original spar varnish. Can a urethane varnish such as MinwaxHelsman urethane over the conventional varnish provide the needed protectionfrom the MEK or does anyone have a better suggestion. The conventional varnishis more attractive to an old sailor such as myself, therefore I want touse it in the visable locations, but I dont want to cover my Piet and have toredo.Item # 2--- I intend to use Continental O200 on my short fuse Piet. Anyone gota set of plans for an engine mount or know of a source? Paul Morton678-482-1661 (H)770-399-6256 x 5710 (W)paul.morton(at)ceridian.comsmorton3(at)bellsouth.netAccess your e-mail anywhere, at any time.Get your FREE BellSouth Web Mail account today!http://webmail.bellsouth.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gene Rambo"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish>>>>From: "Michael Brusilow" >>Reply-To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>>To: >>Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish>>Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:32:05 -0400>>>>>>>>>>-----Original Message----->>From: ED GRENTZER >>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com >>Date: Thursday, August 24, 2000 10:26 AM>>Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish>>Mike that three foot center section sounds interesting, I have beenlooking>>for a way to increase range without losing the storage space in theforward>>cowl area. Does Chad have complete plans for it? Do the cabanes stay>>verticle or are they canted outward? It sounds like a good way to go, have>>you had any problems with it? 16 gallons would be great!>> Ed G> Palm Harbor Fl.>>Yes, Chad does ( at least he did) sell the prints for the 3 ft centersection. Included were prints for a simple "T" shaped wing & cabane attachfittings,My cabanes are slanted out. No problem, however, if that bothers you,something can be worked out to straighten them out.You are right, 16 gals is great. With an 0-200, I have nearly 3 hrs flyingtime ( If one had iron pants ) with a nice reserve.Chad also makes the gear & prop.Mike B Piet N687MB ( Mr Sam )________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Domenico Bellissimo"
Ya know, with all of this discussion about worrying about lifting thevarnish, I am not sure what part of the structure is being discussed. Theold, tried and true method for wing ribs is to cover the capstrip (andother areas) with cellophane tape. Dope and, I assume, MEK will not gothrough the tape.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish>>>>>>>>Sherri> I bought my Piet plans through Chad Wiley of St.Croi Aircraft, I beleive>he is in Illinois, I'm at work and the address is at home, he sells plans,>Center section plans etc. I've talked to him several times and he has been>running a 0-200 for many years, I would bet that he has plans for a 0-200>mount. I will get his address this evening unless someone else online has>it.> Ed G.> Pietenpoller> Palm Harbor Fl.I built a 3 ft center section from Chad's prints. I run an 0-200 in my longfuselge Piet. Chad built the mount. I had to do some modification to thefittings, but it has been working well for 10 yearsThe fuel tank that fits the 3 ft center section holds 16 gals.Mike B Piet N687MB ( Mr Sam )________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:29:37 -0400
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Varnish

Post by matronics »

>From: "Sherri Morton" >Reply-To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>To: >Subject: Pietenpol-List: Varnish>Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:16:48 -0400>>>>I apparently have missed some vital info on varnish. I am getting close to >cover time and understand the conventional (non-urethane) spar varnish will >be melted by the MEK in the Stits process covering. Stits recommends using >a 2 part epoxy varnish over the original spar varnish. Can a urethane >varnish such as Minwax Helsman urethane over the conventional varnish >provide the needed protection from the MEK or does anyone have a better >suggestion. The conventional varnish is more attractive to an old sailor >such as myself, therefore I want to use it in the visable locations, but I >dont want to cover my Piet and have to redo.>>Item # 2--- I intend to use Continental O200 on my short fuse Piet. Anyone >got a set of plans for an engine mount or know of a source?> Paul Morton>678-482-1661 (H)>770-399-6256 x 5710 (W)>paul.morton(at)ceridian.com>smorton3(at)bellsouth.net>>Sherri I bought my Piet plans through Chad Wiley of St.Croi Aircraft, I beleive he is in Illinois, I'm at work and the address is at home, he sells plans, Center section plans etc. I've talked to him several times and he has been running a 0-200 for many years, I would bet that he has plans for a 0-200 mount. I will get his address this evening unless someone else online has it. Ed G. Pietenpoller Palm Harbor Fl.>Access your e-mail anywhere, at any time.>Get your FREE BellSouth Web Mail account today!>http://webmail.bellsouth.net>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ED GRENTZER
-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Foelker David J LtCol 50FTS/ADO
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish Way back when CAM 18 used to say to put adhesive tape on top the wingribs and stringers for chafe resistance and to protect varnish from dopedamage. When I had my dope and fabric shop I used masking tape. Both ofthese make a mess when the plane is to be recovered and neither will dothe job with MEK.. On our Piet, We're going to use some fiberglass "pit"tape that is used to seal the cargo bay liners on airliners. This stuffis expensive and I've been able to scarf some used rolls up from trashcans at work; some guys just don't know the value of these things. The part that is mainly being talked about in the varnish discussion iswhere the fabric is glued to the wood, mainly on the fuselage. Here, theglue and varnished wood come in direct contact and will come loose if itdoesn't adhere well. There is a cockpit comming which will keep thefabric from completely blowing off, but loose fabric in this area willlook lousy. The fabric is also glued to the wing and tail varnished wood areas whilecovering, but there will also be another piece wrapped around and gluedto the first piece of fabric. The fabric to fabric glued bond should beat least a two inch seam. This is the most critical as you will bedepending more on the fabric sticking to each other than to the wood. In any case, the areas where the fabric is glued to the wood must beprotected with a varnish that is not affected by whatever glue is used,or if the varnish can be contacted and affected by the dope or whateverfinish is being applied, that area must be protected with appropriatevarnish or by being seperated by some sort of tape. I would thinkcelaphane tape would be eaten by MEK, but I've never tried it. The bestway is to simply test whatever you're going to use with what you plan toprotect the varnish with. Just try it out on a test block beforecommitting yourself to the airplane.John LangstonPipe Creek, TXnle97(at)juno.com________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
>From: "Michael Brusilow" >Reply-To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>To: >Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish>Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:32:05 -0400>>>>>-----Original Message----->From: ED GRENTZER >To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com >Date: Thursday, August 24, 2000 10:26 AM>Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish>>> >>> >>>> >>>> >>Sherri> > I bought my Piet plans through Chad Wiley of St.Croi Aircraft, I >beleive> >he is in Illinois, I'm at work and the address is at home, he sells >plans,> >Center section plans etc. I've talked to him several times and he has >been> >running a 0-200 for many years, I would bet that he has plans for a 0-200> >mount. I will get his address this evening unless someone else online has> >it.> > Ed G.> > Pietenpoller> > Palm Harbor Fl.>>>I built a 3 ft center section from Chad's prints. I run an 0-200 in my long>fuselge Piet. Chad built the mount. I had to do some modification to the>fittings, but it has been working well for 10 years>The fuel tank that fits the 3 ft center section holds 16 gals.>>>Mike B Piet N687MB ( Mr Sam )>>Mike that three foot center section sounds interesting, I have been looking >for a way to increase range without losing the storage space in the forward >cowl area. Does Chad have complete plans for it? Do the cabanes stay >verticle or are they canted outward? It sounds like a good way to go, have >you had any problems with it? 16 gallons would be great! Ed G Palm Harbor Fl.>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:00:59 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

Well, masking tape won't hold up to anything, but cellophane tapedefinitely does. I have used it on many, many airplanes and it does work. Of course, I prefer to cover with cotton which uses dope rather thanwhatever you are thinning with MEK. Even when I use synthetic fabric, Iuse dope on it, I wouldn't put stits finishes on an outhouse. Therefore, Ido not know if cellophane would hold up to MEK. Out at the SmithsonianGarber Facility at "Silver Hill" we have used plain varnish with an epoxyhardner mixed in and it is dopeproof without additional protection.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
Hey Chuck G.I noticed on your webpage you used ACE brand Spar Varnish. How did it hold up to the covering chemicals?Chris TracySacramento, CaWebsite at http://www.Westcoastpiet.com________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: VarnishIn a message dated 11/13/2006 10:55:35 PM Central Standard Time, catdesigns(at)comcast.net writes:I noticed on your webpage you used ACE brand Spar Varnish. How did it hold up to the covering chemicals?No problems, Chris. I included the part number there, too. Just allow it to cure 100%...maybe a couple of days. I use it exclusively to protect all the wood, even the prop. However, the last time I reworked my prop, I used West System Epoxy / Fiberglass, to protect the prop.Chuck G.NX770CGp.s. You've got a great web site there !!________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Fw: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> John Greenlee ;
I had a similar occurrence with Epifanes. The supplier suggested pouring it through a fine paint filter. The "bears" were all caught and the product was returned to its clear, usable state. Good luck. Epifanes is great stuff. Scott K Burlington Sent from my iPhone> On Jun 12, 2014, at 1:58 PM, "John Greenlee" wrote:> > >
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Fw: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
JohnI believe it is partially cured varnish that is in the can. This is quitecommon with varnish. It will react with the air that gets into the can whenyou open and closed multiple times. Next time pore what you need intoanother container so you can keep the can closed. Also try to remove theair by replacing it with something else. Some people put a small piece ofplastic on the surface or squirt a shot of propane into the can to removethe air. Other things work too.Some people have had luck straining the clumps out while others think it isno longer good for a quality finish because it will leave tinny lumps.There is no way to reconstitute it that I know of. I think it would be okif you are covering that part of the plane but I'd buy a new can if it wasthe instrument panel.Chris T.Sacramento, CaWestcoastpiet.com
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Harvey Plummer"
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________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Varnish
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
I am completing construction of my Vertical Stabilizer. Should I varnish the entirestabilizer? Is there an issue with applying the covering later over varnish?--------Harv, 485PBRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Yes, everything should be varnished - not just the vertical stabilizer butall wood on the entire airplane. This is the only way to prevent dry rot.As for covering over varnish, it depends on which covering process you areusing. If using the Stits PolyFiber process, Poly-Tak can lift somevarnishes. They recommend using their Epoxy Varnish. I used it all overthe airplane. It's expensive but is darned near bulletproof once it iscured.I can't speak to other covering systems, such as Stewart. Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Bickers
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Franklin
matronics

Post by matronics »

With the Stewart System, Spar Varnish from Home Depot will work fine. We didseveral tests before we used it just to make sure. We even soaked wood infuel (in a sealed jar) for several weeks with no problemBarryNX973BP-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Harvey Plummer"
SGkgU2NvdHQsDQoNClRoYW5rcyBmb3IgdGhlIHJlcGx5LiBJIHdvbmRlciB3aHkgdGhlIFBpZXQgY2Fu4oCZdCBiZSB0cmltbWVkIG91dCBvbiBmaW5hbC4gSXTigJlzIG5vdCB0aGF0IGJpZyBhIGRlYWwsIGJ1dCBzaW5jZSBJIGRvbuKAmXQgaGF2ZSBtdWNoIG5lZWQgZm9yIHRyaW0gb3RoZXJ3aXNlLCBJIGd1ZXNzIEnigJlsbCBsZWF2ZSB3ZWxsIGVub3VnaCBhbG9uZS4gTWF5YmUgSeKAmWxsIGNoYW5nZSBteSBtaW5kIGlmIGEgdGFrZSBhbnkgbG9uZyBjcm9zcy1jb3VudHJpZXMuDQoNCkplZmYNCg0KLS0NCkplZmZyZXkgSC4gQm9hdHJpZ2h0LCBQaEQsIEZBUlZPDQpQcm9mZXNzb3Igb2YgT3BodGhhbG1vbG9neQ0KRW1vcnkgVW5pdmVyc2l0eSBTY2hvb2wgb2YgTWVkaWNpbmUNCg0KRnJvbTogQWlyY2FtcGVyTjExTVMgPFNjb3R0LmxpZWZlbGRAbGFjaXR5Lm9yZzxtYWlsdG86U2NvdHQubGllZmVsZEBsYWNpdHkub3JnPj4NClJlcGx5LVRvOiAicGlldGVucG9sLWxpc3RAbWF0cm9uaWNzLmNvbTxtYWlsdG86cGlldGVucG9sLWxpc3RAbWF0cm9uaWNzLmNvbT4iIDxwaWV0ZW5wb2wtbGlzdEBtYXRyb25pY3MuY29tPG1haWx0bzpwaWV0ZW5wb2wtbGlzdEBtYXRyb25pY3MuY29tPj4NCkRhdGU6IFRodXJzZGF5LCBPY3RvYmVyIDMwLCAyMDE0IGF0IDExOjAxIEFNDQpUbzogInBpZXRlbnBvbC1saXN0QG1hdHJvbmljcy5jb208bWFpbHRvOnBpZXRlbnBvbC1saXN0QG1hdHJvbmljcy5jb20+IiA8cGlldGVucG9sLWxpc3RAbWF0cm9uaWNzLmNvbTxtYWlsdG86cGlldGVucG9sLWxpc3RAbWF0cm9uaWNzLmNvbT4+DQpTdWJqZWN0OiBQaWV0ZW5wb2wtTGlzdDogUmU6IGFkdmljZSBvbiB0cmltIG1lY2hhbmlzbQ0KDQotLT4gUGlldGVucG9sLUxpc3QgbWVzc2FnZSBwb3N0ZWQgYnk6ICJBaXJjYW1wZXJOMTFNUyIgPFNjb3R0LmxpZWZlbGRAbGFjaXR5Lm9yZzxtYWlsdG86U2NvdHQubGllZmVsZEBsYWNpdHkub3JnPj4NCg0KSmVmZiwNCg0KSSBqdXN0IHVzZSBteSB0cmltIHRvIHJlbGlldmUgc3RpY2sgcHJlc3N1cmVzIGR1cmluZyBsZXZlbCBmbGlnaHQuICBUaGUgc3RpY2sgcHJlc3N1cmVzIGNoYW5nZSBhIGxvdCBpbiBteSBwbGFuZSBkdXJpbmcgZnVlbCBidXJuLiAgSSBoYXZlIGEgMTAgZ2FsbG9uIG5vc2UgdGFuayBhbmQgYSAxMi41IGdhbGxvbiBjZW50ZXIgc2VjdGlvbiB0YW5rLiAgV2hlbiB0aGUgbm9zZSB0YW5rIG9ubHkgaGFzIDUgZ2FsbG9ucyBvciBsZWVzIGluIGl0IEkgYW0gdmVyeSB0YWlsIGhlYXZ5LiAgVGhpcyBpcyB3aGVuIEkgbmVlZCB0aGUgdHJpbSB0aGUgbW9zdC4gIFlvdXIgcXVlc3Rpb24gcmVnYXJkaW5nIHRyaW1taW5nIGR1cmluZyBsYW5kaW5nIGlzIGEgZGVmaW5pdGUgbm8uICBJIHRlbmQgdG8gbm90IG1ha2UgYXBwcm9hY2hlcyBpbiBhIHN0cmFpZ2h0IGxpbmUuICBJIHdpbGwgdXN1YWxseSBiZSBpbiBhIHR1cm5pbmcgc2xpcCB0byBmaW5hbCBtdWNoIGxpa2UgeW91IHNlZSBwZW9wbGUgZG8gaW4gYSBQaXR0cyBvciBvdGhlciBCaXBsYW5lcy4gIEkgZG9uJ3QgZXZlbiBub3RpY2UgdGhlIHN0aWNrIGZvcmNlcyBkdXJpbmcgbGFuZGluZy4gIE9oLCBJdCdzIG5pY2UgdG8gaGF2ZSBkdXJpbmcgY2xpbWIgb3V0IHRvby4NCg0KTm90IHN1cmUgaWYgdGhhdCByZWFsbHkgYW5zd2VycyB5b3VyIHF1ZXN0aW9uLCBUaGUgcGxhbmUgaXNuJ3Qgc3RhYmxlIGVub3VnaCB0byBldmVyIGxldCBnbyBvZiB0aGUgc3RpY2sgYW55d2F5Lg0KDQpDaGVlcnMsDQoNCi0tLS0tLS0tDQpTY290dCBMaWVmZWxkDQpGbHlpbmcgTjExTVMgc2luY2UgTWFyY2ggMTk3Mg0KU3RlZWwgVHViZQ0KQy04NS0xMg0KV2lyZSBXaGVlbHMNCkJyb2RoZWFkIGluIDE5OTYNCg0KDQoNCg0KUmVhZCB0aGlzIHRvcGljIG9ubGluZSBoZXJlOg0KDQpodHRwOi8vZm9ydW1zLm1hdHJvbmljcy5jb20vdmlld3RvcGljLnBocD9wPTQzMjU1NCM0MzI1NTQNCg0KDQoNCg0KDQoNCg0KXy09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT0NCl8tPSAgICAgICAgICAtIFRoZSBQaWV0ZW5wb2wtTGlzdCBFbWFpbCBGb3J1bSAtDQpfLT0gVXNlIHRoZSBNYXRyb25pY3MgTGlzdCBGZWF0dXJlcyBOYXZpZ2F0b3IgdG8gYnJvd3NlDQpfLT0gdGhlIG1hbnkgTGlzdCB1dGlsaXRpZXMgc3VjaCBhcyBMaXN0IFVuL1N1YnNjcmlwdGlvbiwNCl8tPSBBcmNoaXZlIFNlYXJjaCAmIERvd25sb2FkLCA3LURheSBCcm93c2UsIENoYXQsIEZBUSwNCl8tPSBQaG90b3NoYXJlLCBhbmQgbXVjaCBtdWNoIG1vcmU6DQpfLT0NCl8tPSAgIC0tPiBodHRwOi8vd3d3Lm1hdHJvbmljcy5jb20vTmF2aWdhdG9yP1BpZXRlbnBvbC1MaXN0DQpfLT0NCl8tPT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09DQpfLT0gICAgICAgICAgICAgICAtIE1BVFJPTklDUyBXRUIgRk9SVU1TIC0NCl8tPSBTYW1lIGdyZWF0IGNvbnRlbnQgYWxzbyBhdmFpbGFibGUgdmlhIHRoZSBXZWIgRm9ydW1zIQ0KXy09DQpfLT0gICAtLT4gaHR0cDovL2ZvcnVtcy5tYXRyb25pY3MuY29tDQpfLT0NCl8tPT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09DQpfLT0gICAgICAgICAgICAgLSBMaXN0IENvbnRyaWJ1dGlvbiBXZWIgU2l0ZSAtDQpfLT0gIFRoYW5rIHlvdSBmb3IgeW91ciBnZW5lcm91cyBzdXBwb3J0IQ0KXy09ICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgLU1hdHQgRHJhbGxlLCBMaXN0IEFkbWluLg0KXy09ICAgLS0+IGh0dHA6Ly93d3cubWF0cm9uaWNzLmNvbS9jb250cmlidXRpb24NCl8tPT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09DQoNCg0KDQoNCg0KX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX18NCg0KVGhpcyBlLW1haWwgbWVzc2FnZSAoaW5jbHVkaW5nIGFueSBhdHRhY2htZW50cykgaXMgZm9yIHRoZSBzb2xlIHVzZSBvZg0KdGhlIGludGVuZGVkIHJlY2lwaWVudChzKSBhbmQgbWF5IGNvbnRhaW4gY29uZmlkZW50aWFsIGFuZCBwcml2aWxlZ2VkDQppbmZvcm1hdGlvbi4gSWYgdGhlIHJlYWRlciBvZiB0aGlzIG1lc3NhZ2UgaXMgbm90IHRoZSBpbnRlbmRlZA0KcmVjaXBpZW50LCB5b3UgYXJlIGhlcmVieSBub3RpZmllZCB0aGF0IGFueSBkaXNzZW1pbmF0aW9uLCBkaXN0cmlidXRpb24NCm9yIGNvcHlpbmcgb2YgdGhpcyBtZXNzYWdlIChpbmNsdWRpbmcgYW55IGF0dGFjaG1lbnRzKSBpcyBzdHJpY3RseQ0KcHJvaGliaXRlZC4NCg0KSWYgeW91IGhhdmUgcmVjZWl2ZWQgdGhpcyBtZXNzYWdlIGluIGVycm9yLCBwbGVhc2UgY29udGFjdA0KdGhlIHNlbmRlciBieSByZXBseSBlLW1haWwgbWVzc2FnZSBhbmQgZGVzdHJveSBhbGwgY29waWVzIG9mIHRoZQ0Kb3JpZ2luYWwgbWVzc2FnZSAoaW5jbHVkaW5nIGF0dGFjaG1lbnRzKS4NCg=________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Varnish
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
Jack, did you use the Stits epoxy varnish or the urethane varnish?Thanks.--------Harv, 485PBRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Varnish

Post by matronics »

I used the PolyFiber Epoxy varnish on top of polyurethane, throughout theairplane. Polyurethane spar varnish (1 part) is cheaper so I used it forthe first coat, then put on a top coat of epoxy varnish. My landing gearstruts are left just as (epoxy) varnished spruce and have taken a lot ofabuse in the past 10 years, with no degradation of the finish. I love thatepoxy varnish! It is expensive, but not in the grand scheme of things. Ispent about $200 on epoxy varnish for the entire airplane. That's a prettysmall percentage of the $15,000 I spent building it and well worth it toprotect the structure, in my opinion.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Request for Latex Paint Projects

Post by matronics »

Airplane Type: Pietenpol AircamperYour name: Gary BootheHome town: Plumas Lake, CAYear finished: 2012Materials painted: Dacron with Kelly MoorePrimer used: Kelly MooreColor Paint used: Tan & Olive, custom matchedwebsite if you have one:Notes on your finish: Hand brushedand photo(s):Thanks, Malcolm!!Gary BootheNX308MB
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> Pocono John
John I sprayed mine 50% first coat and 100% for additional coats...Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Oct 30, 2014, at 2:35 PM, John Franklin wrote:> > > John,> > I believe it's good practice to thin the first coat about 50% so you get betterpenetration into the wood...I just brushed mine and did a little sanding betweencoats. Yes, it's a pain and takes a long time which is what scratch-buildingis all about!> > John F.> > > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>> Pocono John
I used a nautical product called Epiphanes on my gear legs with very good results. No experience with UV or wear and tear yet but sure looks nice. It's meant for canoes and kayaks so I expect it should be quite resilient. Scott K. Sent from my iPhone> On Oct 30, 2014, at 7:55 PM, "Jack" wrote:> > > John I sprayed mine 50% first coat and 100% for additional coats...> > Sent from my iPad> Jack Textor> >> On Oct 30, 2014, at 2:35 PM, John Franklin wrote:>> >> >> John,>> >> I believe it's good practice to thin the first coat about 50% so you get better penetration into the wood...I just brushed mine and did a little sanding between coats. Yes, it's a pain and takes a long time which is what scratch-building is all about!>> >> John F.>> >> >> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Scott Knowlton
Thank you Jack and John. Finally have rib jig done and gussets/sticks cut, so aboutto make ribs and then I'll varnish them.--------JohnRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Varnish
matronics

>>> Pietenpol-List: Re: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Boyer
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Scott Knowlton
Thank you for the replies. No first mouse issues(thanks William). I'll be usingT88 for ribs. Currently kitting all ribs for top wing. That's a lot of littlesticks! Thanks again. GlenSent from my iPhone> On Feb 13, 2015, at 7:03 AM, Kip Gardner wrote:> > > Another one in the same vein:> > "It just proves that the worm should have stayed in bed"> > >> On Feb 13, 2015, at 5:42 AM, William Wynne wrote:>> >> >> Glen,>> >> >> >> I don't remember who taught it to me, but I really like the saying >> >> .>> >> >> "The Early bird gets the worm, but the Second mouse gets the cheese.">> >> .>> >> >> >> The implication is that the first mouse got his head caught in the trap. CAglue would probably work fine, but do you really want to be that first mouse?>> >> .>> >> >> In the conversion manual I teach people the ww axiom of airplane building "It isn't the probability of being right it is the cost of being wrong." Example:Being 95% sure your paint will not peel is fine, but being 95% sure your wingspar will not break is not acceptable because they have different costs associatedwith the undesirable outcome.>> >> .>> >> Just use T-88 and you will never have to think about it again.>> >> >> >> >> Read this topic online here:>> >> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 298#438298> > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Varnish
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Charles N. Campbell"
There is something beyond description when the first coat of varnish goes on the fuselage after hundreds of iterations of clamping procedures, sanding, head scratching , fitting, scratching again, and fine carpentry. I can hear a popping sound in my shop as the airframe goes from a dusty light coloured grain -less contraption to a fine wooden piece of antiquity!!! Sorry for the verbosity but those of you have reached this point must be able to relate to my absolute fulfillment... Those of you yet to reach this hallmark I encourage you to continue the journey. It is most definitely worth it. Scott Knowlton. Sent from my iPhone________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:50:34 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Varnish

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Chris Tracy
I'm just doing some varnishing of my own. First coat on the fuselage. Minwax Helmsmanspar urethane, full strength, straight from the can. Spread with a HarborFreight throwaway bristle brush (and picking out the occasional loose hair).LorenzoTellico Plains, TNRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:28:08 -0800
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
I used helmsman straight from the can. It's pretty thin and I suspect you'd get runs if you thinned it out. Scott Sent from my iPhone> On Feb 13, 2015, at 1:53 PM, "Charles N. Campbell" wrote:> > Speaking of varnishing the fuselage I'm about to that point. Someone wrote recently that he thinned the varnish. Anyone know how much to thin it? I asked once before but got no response. Chuck> >> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Scott Knowlton wrote:>> There is something beyond description when the first coat of varnish goes on the fuselage after hundreds of iterations of clamping procedures, sanding, head scratching , fitting, scratching again, and fine carpentry. I can hear a popping sound in my shop as the airframe goes from a dusty light coloured grain -less contraption to a fine wooden piece of antiquity!!! Sorry for the verbosity but those of you have reached this point must be able to relate to my absolute fulfillment... Those of you yet to reach this hallmark I encourage you to continue the journey. It is most definitely worth it.>> >> Scott Knowlton.>> >> >> >> >> >> Sent from my iPhone> > > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

That's what I did, Chris. First coat thinned 50/50, full strength afterthat. The theory behind this is that thinning it allows the varnish topenetrate beneath the surface, then subsequent coats bond to that first coatmuch more strongly, preventing the varnish from just peeling off in a fewyears.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Wavy grain in capstrip

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Just discovered this wave in the grain of a rib top capstrip where two diagonalsmeet at gussets. The other side doesn't show the wave as far as I can see. Notsure if it's acceptable or not, but I was thinking of gluing additional piecesof capstrip on both sides of the diagonals like Tony shows in "The SportplaneBuilder" page 67.Is it strange it's not on both sides? I plan to show my EAA counselor too, justwanted to share. Thanks.--------JohnRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/piet ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wavy grain in capstrip
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Pocono John"
It's wood... Lots of natural variation.Cap strips aren't structural, it'll be fine.ToolsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wavy grain in capstrip
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Thanks! The piece annoys me though, so maybe I'll just replace it.--------JohnRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wavy grain in capstrip
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Andy Hoots
It also occurs within the confines of gusset plates, a butt joint would be finethere. ToolsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Varnish
matronics

Post by matronics »

Nice looking fuse Scott. I hope to have Pietenpol Pietenpol components litteringmy garage in the near future. Keep up the good work.Andy HootsShiloh, ILSent from my iPhone> On Feb 13, 2015, at 12:38, Scott Knowlton wrote:> > There is something beyond description when the first coat of varnish goes onthe fuselage after hundreds of iterations of clamping procedures, sanding, headscratching , fitting, scratching again, and fine carpentry. I can hear a poppingsound in my shop as the airframe goes from a dusty light coloured grain-less contraption to a fine wooden piece of antiquity!!! Sorry for the verbositybut those of you have reached this point must be able to relate to my absolutefulfillment... Those of you yet to reach this hallmark I encourage you tocontinue the journey. It is most definitely worth it. > > Scott Knowlton. > > > > > > Sent from my iPhone________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 16:23:16 +0000 (UTC)
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "William Wynne"
In fairness I guess the builder knows it's there. Scott Sent from my iPhone> On Feb 14, 2015, at 11:27 AM, "Jim Boyer" wrote:> > Very nice Scott. Varnish adds a beautiful color to that great woodwork. Too bad it has to be covered.> Cheers, Jim B.> > ============================================================================================================================================> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wavy grain in capstrip
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Dear vice air marshal Tools:I don't think it is going to down the plane either, but can you explain how youdon't think of capstrips as "structural"? To my way of thinking, you do a 3 G pull up at 1200 lbs and the plane generated3,600 pounds of lift, which near 100% is generated against the wing fabric....whichis only contacting the capstrips... so they are not structural how?I learned the fabric trade working in Willie Carter's hangar at 207 Cessna BlvdSpruce Creek. Almost all work was competition aerobatic biplanes, almost allPitts S-1S and S-2Bs. Capstrips in a Pitts are a lot smaller than a Piet, butthey have much smaller stick lengths and the ribs are twice as close. I neversaw a spar damaged by a flight load (just landing accidents) but I did see plentyof ribs that were broken by flight loads. My conclusion, they are structural.-ww.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Charles Burkholder
Subject:Re: Pietenpol-List: VarnishSpeaking of varnishing the fuselage I'm about to that point. Someone wroterecently that he thinned the varnish. Anyone know how much to thin it? Iasked once before but got no response. ChuckOn Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Scott Knowlton > wrote:There is something beyond description when the first coat of varnish goes onthe fuselage after hundreds of iterations of clamping procedures, sanding,head scratching , fitting, scratching again, and fine carpentry. I can heara popping sound in my shop as the airframe goes from a dusty light colouredgrain -less contraption to a fine wooden piece of antiquity!!! Sorry forthe verbosity but those of you have reached this point must be able torelate to my absolute fulfillment... Those of you yet to reach this hallmarkI encourage you to continue the journey. It is most definitely worth it.Scott Knowlton.Sent from my iPhonehttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-Listw" target="_blank"href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution"> ... ______Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 17:06:23 -0500