Re: Pietenpol-List: VNE at cruise- bungees versus springs landing gear

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: VNE at cruise- bungees versus springs landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
I never flew RE-PIET without covered wheels so I can't compare before andafter. However, she seems to perform pretty straightforwardly and I havebig honkin' wheels! Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 07:33:54 -0600Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: VNE at cruise- bungees versus springs landing gear
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: VNE at cruise- bungees versus springs landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: woodflier
Charles,Did the experienced pilot/instructor give any reasons for recommending bungeesover springs?Aside from nostalgia, and keeping the 1930's look (which is a valid reason), Ican't think of any practical reason.Bill C.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:40:50 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: danhelsper(at)aol.com
Terry you can also buy the spring assembly already built from Wag Aero. You onlyhave to measure and put the ends on them. The only down side is they cost about298.00. I think they are on page 40. Hope this helps someone.--------Building steel fuselage aircamper.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 07:17:31 -0500
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Four-bladed prop

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: danhelsper(at)aol.com
What calculation did you do for the D X P? How about the soildarity of the propat RPM, being 4-blades you need to look at that.WF2--------Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 07:38:01 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "jarheadpilot82"
To: " pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com" Subject: Pietenpol-List: VNE at cruise About the only way I can imagine my Piet exceeding VNE at cruise is with a JATO pack strapped between the wheels! In all seriousness, I think aerodynamic mods are fine if they don=99t add weight and you find it an enjoyable pursuit. After all, fun is why we build these things. However, don=99t expect too much from them and I=99ve often wondered if the extra effort and time added building, is worth an extra 3 kts cruising speed. I mean, when I=99m chugging around for my average 30 minute summer flight, I couldn=99t care less how fast I=99m going. The ONLY time I ever wish I had a few extra kts of speed is going to Brodhead, but even then it would only shave off ten-fifteen minutes or so. That being said. I did spend an extra month fairing the axle and covering the wire wheels. I have NO idea how much it helped having not flown without those mods. The biggest thing I could do to improve my cruise speed would be to fair or reshape my wood struts which have a poor aerodynamic shape, but again, I=99ve weighed the effort against the benefit and decided I=99d rather spend the time flying her. I also experimented with some teardrop shaped clear plastic tubing to fair the round cables. I did my landing gear cables, then decided against doing the flying wires because it would destroy the vintage look. But I do think round wires make a ton of drag which could be at least halved by sleeving them. I think biggest drag inducers that could actually be helped are: struts, wheels, strut connections, axle, windscreens, foot pegs, cables. $.02 Douwe This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the original message (including attachments). No virus found in this message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 02/19/15 ky=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD"=EF=BD=ED=9C=A2Z+=EF=BDM4=EF=BDG=EF=BDq=EF=BD(=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDw=EF=BDr=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=D3=85=EF=BD=EF=BDz=D7=A7=EF=BD=EF=BDK=EF=BD=EF=BDD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDu0016=EF=BD=EF=BDKu001E=EF=BDu0017=EF=BDj=EF=BD=EF=BD',.+-u0015=E6=AD=BA =EF=BD=EF=BD5=EF=BD=81=ABh=EF=BD=EF=BDu001B=EF=BD=EF=BD,z=EF=BD^=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD.+-=EF=BD=D8=A5=EF=BD=D8=9E=EF=BD=CB=9C=EF=BD=EF=BDu000B=EF=BD=EF=BDT=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDn=EF=BD+=EF=BD=EF=BDb=EF=BDp+ru0018=EF=BDy'=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDC=EF=BD =E5=A1=A7{ =EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD,x(Z=EF=BDPu0010> -=EF=BD=EF=BDZ=EF=BD=EF=BDvk=EF=BD=EF=BDk=EF=BD=EF=BDj+y=EF=BDky=EF=BDm=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDu000C&j=EF=BD=EF=BD',r=EF=BD=EF=BD5=EF=BD=81=ABh=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDR=EF=BD=EF=BDm=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDu000C&j=EF=BD=EF=BD',r=EF=BD=EF=BD5=EF=BD=81=ABh=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDR=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD0u0004=EF=BD8=EF=BDu0002Iau0001u0014=EF=BDT1$=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD+y=EF=BD=EF=BD{^=EF=BD=D6=A5=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDj)ZnW=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDayg=EF=BDu0016=EF=BD=EF=BD=C6=A1=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=7F=EF=BD=EF=BD+=EF=BDk&j=EF=BD=EF=BD',r=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=7F=EF=BD=EF=BD+=EF=BDk&j=EF=BD=EF=BD',r=EF=BD=EF=BDh=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD*'=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=D8=A8=EF=BDg=EF=BDJ+^Nu0016=EF=BD=EF=BD*.~=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDzw=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD,=EF=BD=EF=BDh=EF=BD=EF=BD =EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDjY^.+-u0001=D9=A2=EF=BD=EF=BDky=EF=BDm=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDu000C&j=EF=BD=EF=BD',r=EF=BD=EF=BDr=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD&=EF=BD*'=EF=BD=EF=BDi=EF=BD=EF=BD0=EF=BDf=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDr=EF=BD(=EF=BD=EF=BD(=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDn=EF=BDb=EF=BD=7F=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BD=DF=A2{=7F=EF=BD=EF=BD=EF=BDn=EF=BDr=EF=BDu001Bf -- Charles BurkholderVisit my blog @ http://missionmechfund.blogspot.ca/==== ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: VNE at cruise- bungees versus springs landing gear