Pietenpol-List: Re: Gary Boothe Arrives!!!! West Coast Pietenpol Gathering

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
It has been some time since I have followed the forum and over two years now sinceI last attended Brodhead. It seems I must have paid my subscription to thePietenpol newsletter for two years because I think it has run out. I understandDoc no longer is in charge of the newsletter, and my question was if someonecould please send the information for where I might re-new my subscription.My comment is that I learned from Greg Cardinal and the list that Dick Navratilpassed away this past week. When I first became interested in building a Pieta few years ago I learned one didn't have to read much to become familiar withDick's name. Being from Minnesota and thinking that made me somewhat "kin"to Dick, I called him out-of-the-blue. I remember him graciously spending overan hour on the phone with me answering any question I could think to ask. I got to meet him at Brodhead that year and I remember him letting me help repairhis windshield. Dick was a great ambassador to this homebuilder hobby andthe Pietenpol. It is because of guys like him that helped me start my own Pietenpolbuild. He'll definitely be missed.TomRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Gary Boothe Arrives!!!! West Coast Pietenpol Gathering201
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Hey West Coast Pieters- wasn't there an unofficial/outlaw West Coast Piet semi-gatheringand garage/hangar tire kicking event last fall, somewhere up in theSacramento area? I feel like I've consistently failed this group four years ina row now by not making it to Frazier Lake since I've been back in Oregon.The KR Gathering will be held up here in McMinnville, OR on Sept. 4 and 5 and Icould always go to that event (I know as many KR people as I do Piet people),but I'm afraid Scout would be a slow and ugly duckling in that fast crowd. It'sa little too close to Van's Aircraft Factory for comfort, too (16 NM) ;o)I'd hate to have Scout tumbled around in all that wake turbulence from fast airplanes.Anyway, if the Groahs or Chris Tracy or Gary Boothe or Ray Krause knows anythingabout the "Outlaw West Coast Piet Gathering" and if it might happen again,let me know. A guy's gotta have something to hope for and this summer's fireseason ain't it.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Gary Boothe Arrives!!!! West Coast Pietenpol Gathering

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Oscar,Random BBQ's have been known to occur at my hangar. Sometimes they aretriggered by an event such as Curt Merdan on lay-over, or Jim Markle workingin the area. Mike Weaver & Chris Tracy live fairly close, and they areusually eager for free food. Then, suddenly, we have a West Coast PietSemi-Gathering, un-sanctioned. As you can see, the timing is usuallyspur-of-the-moment, and by the time you made the 6 hour drive the hangarwould most likely be dark, and the hamburgers cold.Fortunately, though, it doesn't take much to trigger such events. Sometimes,just rolling the BBQ out the door is enough to attract a gathering...likewhen you rattle your car keys, no matter how quiet you try to be, and yourdog comes running! I can well-imagine a semi-gathering occurring should youdecide in advance to make that trip. We might even get Ray Krause to fire uphis Waiex and make the 20 minute flight to update us on his Skyscout.Make a plan for Fall...Gary BootheNX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Gary Boothe Arrives!!!! West Coast Pietenpol

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Gary Boothe Arrives!!!! West Coast Pietenpol Gathering 201Oscar, you need to let these guys down easy. BBQ is not just cooking overfire. That is called Grilling and is an art all it's own.BBQ means smoked meat, Brisket is the King in Texas and Pork across theSouth.The BBQ recepie is Meat, low heat, Smoke and Time. Did a 10 LB brisket lastweek. 7 hours of smoke.Blue (slightly smoky) Skies,Steve DOn Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Gary Boothe wrote:>> Oscar,>> Random BBQ's have been known to occur at my hangar. Sometimes they are> triggered by an event such as Curt Merdan on lay-over, or Jim Markle> working> in the area. Mike Weaver & Chris Tracy live fairly close, and they are> usually eager for free food. Then, suddenly, we have a West Coast Piet> Semi-Gathering, un-sanctioned. As you can see, the timing is usually> spur-of-the-moment, and by the time you made the 6 hour drive the hangar> would most likely be dark, and the hamburgers cold.>> Fortunately, though, it doesn't take much to trigger such events.> Sometimes,> just rolling the BBQ out the door is enough to attract a gathering...like> when you rattle your car keys, no matter how quiet you try to be, and your> dog comes running! I can well-imagine a semi-gathering occurring should you> decide in advance to make that trip. We might even get Ray Krause to fire> up> his Waiex and make the 20 minute flight to update us on his Skyscout.>> Make a plan for Fall...>> Gary Boothe> NX308MB>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Gary Boothe Arrives!!!! West Coast Pietenpol Gathering

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
I'm always available on short notice, esp if food is involved a dig is just a shortflight AND it is not fogged in!RaySent from my iPad> On Jun 11, 2015, at 5:21 AM, Gary Boothe wrote:> > > Oscar,> > Random BBQ's have been known to occur at my hangar. Sometimes they are> triggered by an event such as Curt Merdan on lay-over, or Jim Markle working> in the area. Mike Weaver & Chris Tracy live fairly close, and they are> usually eager for free food. Then, suddenly, we have a West Coast Piet> Semi-Gathering, un-sanctioned. As you can see, the timing is usually> spur-of-the-moment, and by the time you made the 6 hour drive the hangar> would most likely be dark, and the hamburgers cold.> > Fortunately, though, it doesn't take much to trigger such events. Sometimes,> just rolling the BBQ out the door is enough to attract a gathering...like> when you rattle your car keys, no matter how quiet you try to be, and your> dog comes running! I can well-imagine a semi-gathering occurring should you> decide in advance to make that trip. We might even get Ray Krause to fire up> his Waiex and make the 20 minute flight to update us on his Skyscout.> > Make a plan for Fall...> > Gary Boothe> NX308MB> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Re: Gary Boothe Arrives!!!! West Coast Pietenpol

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Charles Burkholder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Gary;Airnav says it's 219NM from MFR to LHM. Why drive it in 6 hours when I can flyit in Scout in 6 hours? I could even load my little 2-banger UltraVair intothe front cockpit for the flight back the next day and get it off your hands onceand for all.It's a thought, alright.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Gary Boothe Arrives!!!! West Coast Pietenpol Gathering201
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Gary Boothe Arrives!!!! West Coast Pietenpol Gathering

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Oscar,Please don't say "wing" and "break" to me in the same sentence. It gives meflashbacks...Gary BootheNX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

>>> Hey all,>> During a recent long drive I got to thinking about the future of> the Pietenpol marque with some concern. I then looked through> all my newsletter back issues and realized just how many of our> currently flying fleet were began in the late eighties and early> nineties.>> It got me to thinking, what was happening during those years that> stimulated so much interest and building that isnt happening> now?. Maybe Im wrong, but Just think of all the projects> started around then and it is quite remarkable. Id love others> input, especially those who got into it then, but I came to two> different possibilities.>> 1. There was a strong and active Pietenpol club that really> helped generate interest in the plane> 2. People had more expendable resources and werent lured> away from a plans built plane by quick-build/snap together kits.> 3. All of the above?>> I look around at Brodhead, and the projects being worked on and> ask myself, where are the young people building and with a few> exceptions, there arent many. As always, the loss of the next> generation bodes ill for the future if we cant change things. > Which led me to my next question (s)>> 1. What can we do corporately and individually to increase> Pietenpol awareness in the homebuilding community?>>> Thoughts?>> Douwe>>> ==========> br> enpol-List"> target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List> ==========> FORUMS -> _blank">http://forums.matronics.com> ==========> b Site -> -Matt Dralle, List Admin.> target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution> ==========>>> *>>> *>> No virus found in this message.> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com >-- Charles BurkholderVisit my blog @ http://missionmechfund.blogspot.ca/____ ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Gary Boothe Arrives!!!! West Coast Pietenpol Gathering201