Pietenpol-List: Battery

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Battery

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Douwe Blumberg
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________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Battery
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
MattFind any batt that works but if you need nose weight id definately go bigger capacity,heck, why not. Then get a "battery tender" which comes with a femaleplug to install permanently on the terminals. I found this plug fits a varietyof chargers including my solar charger. Use the battery tender at home and solar charger where there's no power.Honestly, they make a super small batt tender that is really light. One could thenmake up a really long lightweight extension cord and use it pretty much anywhereyou could find 110 outlet$.02DouweSent from my iPhon________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Wicks vs Aircraft Spruce

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "curtdm(at)gmail.com"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: BatteryI used a 12 volt battery from a "deer feeder" because it was on sale. Stillfairly small 4"x6"x 10" and placed it on the back side of my firewall. Istrapped it in. but a flybaby buddy simply wedged his in with dense foam.STeve DOn Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Douwe Blumberg wrote:> douwe(at)douwestudios.com>>> Matt>> Find any batt that works but if you need nose weight id definately go> bigger capacity, heck, why not. Then get a "battery tender" which comes> with a female plug to install permanently on the terminals. I found this> plug fits a variety of chargers including my solar charger.>> Use the battery tender at home and solar charger where there's no power.>> Honestly, they make a super small batt tender that is really light. One> could then make up a really long lightweight extension cord and use it> pretty much anywhere you could find 110 outlet>> $.02>> Douwe>> Sent from my iPhon>>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wicks vs Aircraft Spruce
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-LME0)[Vantage Partners, LLC]"
I tested AS&S two days ago and they matched Wick's 1"x4 3/4"x14' spar price of$9.09/ft without the 10% up-charge at 14'.Wick's has a 15% premium on lengths 14' and over.Their freight quote for the spars was $120 less than Wick'sI was fortunate to have discovered an off the grid builder very nearby that wasneeding to order spars also, so we are splitting the freight.AS&S offers EAA Visa discounts also.I'd buy locally if local wasn't more than an hour away.I think 98% of my build time is shopping.--------Curt MerdanFlower Mound, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wicks vs Aircraft Spruce

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
Great work and great report Curt!!! It sounds like you did your homework andACS complied with their matching price claim so I'm encouraged bythat. It really pays to shop around on this stuff and for things like freightcharges, it can really make a difference. If anyone is driving to Oshkosh too both ACS and Wicks have big displays up thereand I, for one, had great luck with Wicks delivering my wing spars toOshkosh where I picked them up one year and took them home atop my roof-----zerofreight charges which was great! If you need some larger items and canpick them up at Oshkosh, see if ACS or Wicks will let you pick them up right thereat the show. Mike C.________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 16:04:07 +0000 (UTC)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Wicks vs Aircraft Spruce

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: woodflier
I just compared aircraft spruce kit vs. buying individual pieces for elevator...fromkit is $44.50, individual parts $114.17. Wicks does not offer kit, but individualparts are $89.06. If A.S. kit price is true, a person should jump onit NOW, as it is less than half of what parts are. And just in case anyone iswondering, listed in their kit contents, it does include needed plywood. If Icannot get pieces as cheap as kit prices, I wonder if I would be ahead to buybigger pieces of spruce and resaw myself? I have a pretty decent shop for instrumentbuilding, and a REALLY good, thin kerf, bandsaw resaw setup.--------Jon JonesIronton, MORead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:22:15 -0400