Pietenpol-List: Reporting in

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Reporting in

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: G Bradley Williams
Well, its been a while since I last posted so I just wanted to let everyone know how the Piet Project has been progressing. I did my first taxi testing about a month ago. Yesterday I had a DAR come out and inspect the plane, so now I have my Airworthiness Certificate. The inspection went very well, though I admit that I was a little nervous. The DAR that I used was Lowell Farrand. Lowell was the test pilot for the Mini-Max line of home built aircraft as well as the test pilot for the first powered parachute aircraft. He also served as the test pilot for military ejection seats. He has really had an interesting career. He has been actively involved with the EAA since the early days and was one of the first certified DAR's. The EAA did a timeless voices interview with Lowell that is pretty interesting.Here is how NX478RS now looks. I also uploaded a Youtube video of the first taxi testing, here is the link.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHOlvuizuc4I am working on my tailwheel endorsement, so hopefully I can fly it soon.Rick SchreiberNX478RSValparaiso, IN________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 21:23:15 -0400 (EDT)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Reporting in

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Paxton
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Reporting in
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Ford Model A engines for sale

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Kenneth M. Heide"
Members of the list:I have two short block Ford Model A engines for sale. One is from a combine withvery few hours (1934) and the other if from a car (1929). Both ran when removed.Looking for $500.00 the pair or best offer.KM Heide 701-793-3030Fargo, NDSent from my iPad________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Ford Model A engines for sale
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Reporting in

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bill Church"
Members of the list:I have two short block Ford Model A engines for sale. One is from a combine with very few hours (1934) and the other is from a car (1929). Both ran when removed. Sitting for years in dry storage.Looking for $500.00 the pair or best offer.KM Heide 701-793-3030Fargo, NDSent from my iPadSent from my iPad________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Reporting in
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
Very sharp, Rick.Congratulations.Bill C.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "womenfly2"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Reporting in[Rick, where are you based? I noted the "Kelly field" on the side.Steve DPietenpol in final stages of restoration.San Geronimo Airpark (8T8)San Antonio, TexasOn Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:12 PM, Ray Krause wrote:>>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Reporting in
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Schreiber
Love the paint scheme ... looks very familiar ;)WF2--------Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Reporting in
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Reporting in

Post by matronics »

On 9/19/2015 12:46 AM, Steven Dortch wrote:> [Rick, where are you based? I noted the "Kelly field" on the side.> Steve D> Pietenpol in final stages of restoration.> San Geronimo Airpark (8T8)> San Antonio, Texas>> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:12 PM, Ray Krause > > wrote:>>> -- > Blue Skies,> Steve D> http://www.matronics.com/contribution Steve, I'm at the South end of Lake Michigan just East of Chicago. I was born an raised in San Antonio and my family history with San Antonio goes back to the early 1900's. My Father was in the Air Force and worked at Kelly Field after WWII through the Korean War and the Berlin Air Lift. I had a Great Uncle that worked in the fabric shop at Kelly covering Jennys and an Aunt that also worked there. From a very young age I always knew I would build my own plane. I can remember going out to Kelly with my Dad and seeing row upon row of Biplanes in storage. I thought they were Jennys at first, but most likely they were PT-17's.I originally wanted to build a WWI fighter, but that morphed into a 2 place single wing fabric plane as being more practical. Once I discovered Pietenpols, that was it!Rick________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Reporting in
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
On 9/19/2015 6:55 AM, womenfly2 wrote:>> Love the paint scheme ... looks very familiar ;)>> WF2>> -------->>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 30>>Thanks Keri-Ann, before I get accused of plagiarism here are the original inspirations for the paint scheme :-)When I was into RC models I always wanted to build the 1/4 scale Proctor Jenny, but could never afford it. Once I had the money I would have been afraid to fly it. Ifinally decided to just make it full size ( well almost) and remove the lower wing. I if you look at a Jenny, you can see where Bernard was getting some of his designcharacteristics as he did own one.Rick SchreiberNX478RS________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Reporting in
matronics

Post by matronics »

Rick very nice! Inspirational which I'm in need of, thanks!Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Sep 18, 2015, at 7:25 PM, Rick Schreiber wrote:> > Well, its been a while since I last posted so I just wanted to let everyone know how the Piet Project has been progressing. I did my first taxi testing about a month ago. Yesterday I had a DAR come out and inspect the plane, so now I have my Airworthiness Certificate. The inspection went very well, though I admit that I was a little nervous. The DAR that I used was Lowell Farrand. Lowell was the test pilot for the Mini-Max line of home built aircraft as well as the test pilot for the first powered parachute aircraft. He also served as the test pilot for military ejection seats. He has really had an interesting career. He has been actively involved with the EAA since the early days and was one of the first certified DAR's. The EAA did a timeless voices interview with Lowell that is pretty interesting. > > Here is how NX478RS now looks. I also uploaded a Youtube video of the first taxi testing, here is the link.> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHOlvuizuc4> > I am working on my tailwheel endorsement, so hopefully I can fly it soon.> > > > > Rick Schreiber> NX478RS> Valparaiso, IN> > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Reporting in
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Hofmann
On 9/19/2015 8:22 AM, Jack wrote:> Rick very nice! Inspirational which I'm in need of, thanks!>> Sent from my iPad> Jack Textor>> On Sep 18, 2015, at 7:25 PM, Rick Schreiber > wrote:>>> Well, its been a while since I last posted so I just wanted to let >> everyone know how the Piet Project has been progressing. I did my >> first taxi testing about a month ago. Yesterday I had a DAR come out >> and inspect the plane, so now I have my Airworthiness Certificate. >> The inspection went very well, though I admit that I was a little >> nervous. The DAR that I used was Lowell Farrand. Lowell was the test >> pilot for the Mini-Max line of home built aircraft as well as the >> test pilot for the first powered parachute aircraft. He also served >> as the test pilot for military ejection seats. He has really had an >> interesting career. He has been actively involved with the EAA since >> the early days and was one of the first certified DAR's. The EAA did >> a timeless voices interview with Lowell that is pretty interesting.>>>> Here is how NX478RS now looks. I also uploaded a Youtube video of the >> first taxi testing, here is the link.>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHOlvuizuc4>>>> I am working on my tailwheel endorsement, so hopefully I can fly it soon.>>>>>> >>>> Rick Schreiber>> NX478RS>> Valparaiso, IN>>>>>>> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List > http://www.matronics.com/contribution > > *Jack,I sure understand the need for inspiration when things start to bog down. For me I would look at Mike Cuys video and the pictures I have taken at Brodhead. Speaking of Brodhead, I am fortunate in that I am only a little over an hours flight away. I mange to go at least twice a year, once to the Piet convention and then to the MAAC flyin, which was last weekend.My build took 12 1/2 years. The last 3 years it has been at the airport. I have moved it at the airport into 7 different hangars (and actually 3 airports) depending on availability, space and needs. The Piet has generated a lot of interest in the local community. What doesn't show in the edited taxi video, is what happens after I made the first turn onto the main taxiway. I was going to show it off to my AP/IA. As I approached his hangar, which can be seen on the left side of the plane, all of a sudden people were coming out of the wood work. There was running, yelling and grabbing of cameras, cell phones and Ipads. There must have been 15 people running up to the plane. It was pretty exciting for me, something I will always remember and this was just the taxi test.Regards,Rick SchreiberNX478RS________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Hey Rick,Looking awesome! If you send me a high resolution picture you will make centerfold in an upcoming BPA newsletter. Good luck with testing.Best,-john-John HofmannVice-President, IT and ProductionThe Rees Group, Inc.2424 American LaneMadison, WI 53704Phone: 608.443.2468 ext 150Fax: 608.443.2474Email: jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.com> On Sep 18, 2015, at 7:25 PM, Rick Schreiber wrote:> > Well, its been a while since I last posted so I just wanted to let everyone know how the Piet Project has been progressing. I did my first taxi testing about a month ago. Yesterday I had a DAR come out and inspect the plane, so now I have my Airworthiness Certificate. The inspection went very well, though I admit that I was a little nervous. The DAR that I used was Lowell Farrand. Lowell was the test pilot for the Mini-Max line of home built aircraft as well as the test pilot for the first powered parachute aircraft. He also served as the test pilot for military ejection seats. He has really had an interesting career. He has been actively involved with the EAA since the early days and was one of the first certified DAR's. The EAA did a timeless voices interview with Lowell that is pretty interesting. > > Here is how NX478RS now looks. I also uploaded a Youtube video of the first taxi testing, here is the link.> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHOlvuizuc4 > > I am working on my tailwheel endorsement, so hopefully I can fly it soon.> > > > > Rick Schreiber> NX478RS> Valparaiso, IN> > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 11:49:02 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Reporting in
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Reporting in

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Beautiful, Rick! Are you going to do the first flight, or have someone else do that? Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
On 9/19/2015 12:32 PM, Jack Philips wrote:>> Beautiful, Rick! Are you going to do the first flight, or have > someone else do that?>> Jack Phillips>> NX899JP>> Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia>>Thanks for the compliment Jack. Since I am still working on my tail wheel endorsement, I am having a friend do the test flight. If there are no squawks, He will then fly it from my airport, Porter Co. Regional to Starke Co. airport. Starke Co has a nice grass strip where I will be able to practice before I bring it back home.Rick SchreiberNX478RSVPZ Valparaiso, IN________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Reporting in

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Good thinking, Rick. I=99ve landed on the grass runway at Starke County and it is nice and wide and smooth. Sounds like a good place to get used to flying your Pietenpol. Mine is a pussycat on grass but can be a little twitchy on pavement.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia
matronics

Post by matronics »

On 9/19/2015 11:49 AM, Steven Dortch wrote:>> Rick, I apologize, I know it is not polite to ask someone where they > are from. If they are from Texas they will tell you. If they aren't, > there is no reason to embarrass them.>> You should get the book "wings over San Antonio, Texas" by Mel Brown. > There is also one called "San Antonio and the great war." Lots of > great photos.>> Mine is an alternate history military paint job.>> Blue skies.> Steve D.>> ** No apologies needed Steve. I understand perfectly. Thanks for the info on the two books on the history of flight in San Antonio. I will be ordering both books. I keep looking for more images of Jennys with a Kelly Field association.Rick SchreiberNX478RSVPZ Valparaiso, IN________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Reporting in
matronics

Post by matronics »

On 9/20/2015 6:46 AM, Jack Philips wrote:>> Good thinking, Rick. Ive landed on the grass runway at Starke County > and it is nice and wide and smooth. Sounds like a good place to get > used to flying your Pietenpol. Mine is a pussycat on grass but can be > a little twitchy on pavement.>> Jack Phillips>> NX899JP>> Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia>>Jack, I know the people at Starke very well. I actually did the painting of all of my control surfaces and center section in a spray booth they have at Starke. You are right about how nice the grass strip is. I have a friend who recently bought a 1929 straight wing Waco 10 who learned to fly it off of the grass at Starke. This is where he keeps it along with his Citabria. His instructor is the same person who will be test flying my Piet. Also Jim Haklin keeps his almost complete Pietenpol at Starke Co. Hopefully I can get my 40 hrs. flown off so I can bring the Piet to Brodhead next year.Regards,Rick SchreiberNX478RSVPZ Valparaiso, IN________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Chris Rusch"
... better readability.[IMG]https://sites.google.com/site/pietenpol ... edirects=0[/IMG]WF2--------Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Reporting in
matronics

Post by matronics »

Last revision is dated 1998, not many decades ago. Not to say there aren't neededchanges, but it is not as old as you imply.--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/scre ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Reporting in
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Boothe
On 9/22/2015 7:37 AM, Chris Rusch wrote:>> HI Rick,>> Your plane looks awesome!! What did your final weight come in at?>> --------> NX321LR> Now test flying!!> Mitsubishi Powered>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 36>>Thanks Chris.My final weight was 758# . I was hoping for a lighter weight, but I do have the straight axle gear, 3 piece wing, starter and a heavier paint color. By that I mean that I had to paint the Piet white to hiding, then paint it yellow. That more or less doubles the total paint weight.Rick SchreiberNX478RSFirst test flight planed Saturday 9/26/15________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dan Yocum
Hi Pieters,If any of you find your way to Virginia do yourself a huge favor and spend sometime with Jack and Karen Phillips at Bedford Landing B&B. While on Vacationmy wife and I found ourselves not too far away from Smith Mountain Lake. We calledJack and they had a room available. We had never meet Jack or Karen beforeand this was the perfect opportunity. We had a wonderful time with them. Theairport is very friendly, Jacks planes are beautiful and the B&B was superb.I only wish that I had flown my plane in there to stay with them. Perhaps nexttime. Next time we find ourselves in VA we will make it a point to stay again.Thank you Jack and Karen for the wonderful memories.Cheers,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Reporting in
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
What Bill said - your attention to detail is superb!On 09/18/2015 09:32 PM, Bill Church wrote:> > Very sharp, Rick.> Congratulations.> > Bill C.> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 216#447216> > > > > > > > > > -- Dan Yocumyocum137(at)gmail.com________________________________________________________________________________