Pietenpol-List: T-nuts

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: T-nuts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Thanks Oscar, that helps somewhat. Even with a 2nd brace the bar could still fallfrom the bolt, correct? Trying to figure out a way to brace or secure at thebottom of the bolt... Maybe install one brace below the bar and the other ontop? This would require a longer bolt.Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Oct 27, 2015, at 11:26 PM, "taildrags" wrote:> > > Oops... I guess I posted everything *but* an answer to your question, which shouldhave been something like, "I've read through Jack's post and the responsesthat followed, but never saw an illustration or a photo showing the additionalbrace that he describes". However, if you look at Drawing No. 4 of your Pietplans, middle of the page is "Top View of Control Assembly" and you'll seethat there is a single asymmetrically-placed, 1/2" 20 ga. tubular rudder barpivot brace kicking over to the starboard side from under the nut on the pivotbolt. If I'm reading the responses to Jack's caution correctly, a matching braceover to the port side would help steady the assembly. A builder could getelaborate and make a small tab to mount onto the pivot bolt and then slot theends of two tubular braces and weld them onto the tab instead of stacking flattenedends of tubes onto the bolt, but then again it could also be fabricatedout of pieces of angle or any of a dozen other ways.!> If one wanted to get truly artistic (Douwe-?), a piece of tube could be shapedinto a semicircle, then the ends and center flattened, and angles bent intoit to form a single symmetrical semicircular brace piece. Too much troublethough ;o)> > --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 320#448320> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: T-nuts
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
In a post from Jack Phillips he mentioned wishing he used t-nuts for mounting controlparts to the fuselage floor. I'm at that stage. Are hardware t-nuts strongenough for this? Is there such a thing as AN t-nuts, other than plate nuts?Lots of questions at this stage. Also never seem to have the right AN stuffdespite having a bunch of it!Sent from my iPadJack Textor________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:03:38 +0000 (UTC)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Big wheel rims

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Big wheel rims

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Outstanding Michael!Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Oct 28, 2015, at 6:09 AM, Michael Perez wrote:> > Since I was here answering another post, I thought I would share with the list that NX992WD "Sweet Susie" is now officially registered with the FAA. I'm back to my winter time projects for now, but next summer I hope to move on with the other requirements to take my first flight. > > > > > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Big wheel rims
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Big wheel rims

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jeff Boatright"
Hey jeff,I've got rear wheel bearings, which may be 1.25... Dick used a stub axle whichslides into the 1.5" axle, secured by a simple through bolt.ToolsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Big wheel rims
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: T-nuts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Man, those look great! Thanks for all of the information. At the very low end itlooks like costs are around $500. At the high end, with Buchanan's doing everything,it's about $1500. Right now, my middle-of-the-road approach of purchasingPerkins' hubs, scrounging most other parts, and farming out some of theprocess, it looks like it's going to cost about $800. We'll see!speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.n wrote:> Hello Jeff/ crew.> > > I doubt this will help much, but it may for those who are also looking for ideason wire wheels. My 21" rims are aluminum with SS spokes. These all came fromBuchanan's Spoke and Wheel in Ca. ...> > > > The down side is that with custom parts, personal customer service, etc. theprice is greater...Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: T-nuts
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
Hardware store t nuts are strong enough.However, I'd be worried about the lack of lock nut ness... I do not know of various grades of them.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: T-nuts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
I don't remember saying I wish I had used T-Nuts. I DO wish I had usedself-locking nutplates - it would save having to cut holes in the fabric onthe belly of the airplane to access the nuts (and cotter pins).Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: T-nuts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Subject: Pietenpol-List: the unleaded ethanol reportWell, I have had the opportunity to run various fuels in two of my vehicles.Drumroll please:My 1989 Chevy Suburban with a 350 V8 2WD got somewhat better gas mileagewith 100% gas vs 10% ethanol with a mix of town and highway driving..Actually 16 MPG with pure gas and just under 14 with 10% ethanol. Notenough difference to make up the 45 cent difference in price.My 2013 Ford Explorer 4wd. has somewhat similar results with one slightchange.On pure gas I got just under 23MPG but that was highway driving with a cartopper and hitch rack into a 20-30 MPH wind.On E10 I got 20 to 21 MPG with more into town driving than highway driving.On E85 I got 18 MPG with a mix of in town and highway driving.The E85 was $1.339 the E10 was $1.999 and the Pure gas was $2.499. So permile E85 was the cost per mile. Except that the $1.339 E85 was only at onegas station I happened upon. Everywhere else in San Antonio it is moreexpensive than E10. When I go to Oklahoma again I will get pure gas andsee what it does without the cartopper and headwind.Please note the Pure gas I bought was in Oklahoma where it is plentiful. Itis not available here in Texas.I still think turning food into fuel is stupid.-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: T-nuts
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Thanks Jack nutplates it is...Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Oct 28, 2015, at 7:36 PM, "Jack Philips" wrote:> > > I don't remember saying I wish I had used T-Nuts. I DO wish I had used> self-locking nutplates - it would save having to cut holes in the fabric on> the belly of the airplane to access the nuts (and cotter pins).> > Jack Phillips> NX899JP> Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia> > -----Original Message-----