Pietenpol-List: OT not Pietenpol but flying

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: OT not Pietenpol but flying

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
Subject: Pietenpol-List: OT not Pietenpol but flyingJust gotta brag a little.Yesterday in Zero wind conditions. My buddy and I flew his 1947 AeroncaChamp for .8 hours and did 80 Touch and Goes! I actually did 30 touch andgoes on one pass down the 6500 ft runway at WDG.The plane was cold soaked and the 65 HP engine had to be throttledup gently to keep from killing it. (no accelerator pump).Ya Hoo! not sure where you can more fun than that (with your clothes on.)-- Blue Skies,Steve D-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: OT not Pietenpol but flying

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
You lucky bum!Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Dec 4, 2015, at 1:48 PM, Steven Dortch wrote:> > Just gotta brag a little.> > Yesterday in Zero wind conditions. My buddy and I flew his 1947 Aeronca Champfor .8 hours and did 80 Touch and Goes! I actually did 30 touch and goes on onepass down the 6500 ft runway at WDG.> > The plane was cold soaked and the 65 HP engine had to be throttled up gentlyto keep from killing it. (no accelerator pump). > Ya Hoo! not sure where you can more fun than that (with your clothes on.)> -- > Blue Skies,> Steve D> > > -- > Blue Skies,> Steve D________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT not Pietenpol but flying
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "dgaldrich"
That works out to one every 36 seconds, Steve. Now I know you're in Texas, buteven *that* is stretching the brag just a little bit. You can't count everyskip and porpoise as a touch-n-go ;o)I had a lot of fun one morning when I was getting checked out in a Cub here inOregon, back when we used to have a crosswind runway 09-27 across our main runway,14-32. Nobody else in the pattern, essentially no wind, and my instructorhad us flying sort of a figure-8 pattern from the departure end of 14, overto the approach end of 27, touch-n-go to the approach end of 32, and doing thatover and over. Full-stall landings, wheel landings, max performance takeoffs,short/soft field approaches, for a little over an hour. I'll bet I logged15 landings, although many of them only slowed to a roll on landing and weren'tfull stop. My instructor that day was air ambulance pilot and good friend MikeNewlun, and he is what we used to call in Texas "a tall drink of water", sothere wasn't much view of the instruments from the rear cockpit where I wasflying.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT not Pietenpol but flying
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Oscar, how on earth did he fold himself into the front seat to start with? Hemust have extra joints in his legs...Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT not Pietenpol but flying
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Dave; you don't understand Mike Newlun. His daily driver is a 1970s VW Bug, sohe probably has extra joints built into his legs already. He used to own a Luscombe,so he has always been a "vintage" taildragger pilot and used to a littlebit of wiggling to get in. I never noticed him hesitate after propping theCub, walking around the struts to the door, and climbing in. You just do it.Mike also checked me out in a Super Cub up here and he taught me some tricks aboutflying them in and out of short, soft, unimproved, and one-way strips. Notas much as you learn in Alaska, but I think I could hold my own in most basicflying situations in a Cub or Super Cub and have a lot of fun trying it. Theone thing I still wish I could do is fly one on floats. I've read the books,I've watched the videos, and I'm just itching to try operating an airplane onfloats... perhaps even getting three letters added to my pilot certification:"sea". Now you know why I had a set of plans for the Muktuk homebuilt floatsthat I lent to Dick Navratil to build at Sun 'n' Fun. I could at least see*somebody* finish a set of floats and fly them.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT not Pietenpol but flying
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT not Pietenpol but flying

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
My son is getting pretty good at rural north Georgia bush flying in the Piet. He's landing in several friend's farms and very proficient at our place whichis one direction on a hill side. We both got up last week. As far as consecutive landings, one day on cruise all the planets lined up andthe recovery became a "bagex". The deck just kept sending us back up into thepattern. The f18s ran out of gas first, then the tomcats, then the ea6, thenthe a6s. So it was me and one other s3. A normal carrier pattern is 600 feet, one mile abeam, turn to give yourself 35to 45 seconds of straight away, or groove time. Well, knew this couldn't lastforever, you could see the guy getting shot off the cat putting the stick overso he'd turn immediately off the deck because his spoilers would come up. Infact if they didn't, you gave him a ration on the back radio.We were maybe 1/2 mile abeam, three fifty max altitude, 20 seconds in the groove.Perfectly out of sync, one guy abeam, the other getting shot. We both got 13 consecutive carrier landings. It was awesome! I love flying, but REALLY love pattern work.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT not Pietenpol but flying
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT not Pietenpol but flying

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Marcus Zechini
Great story Mike thanks for sharing! A dear friend flys 47's and triple 7's forthe CIA. His description of his first carrier landing was breathtaking. Iwould like to hear about yours next time we get together!Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Dec 7, 2015, at 7:06 AM, "tools" wrote:> > > My son is getting pretty good at rural north Georgia bush flying in the Piet.He's landing in several friend's farms and very proficient at our place whichis one direction on a hill side. We both got up last week. > > As far as consecutive landings, one day on cruise all the planets lined up andthe recovery became a "bagex". The deck just kept sending us back up into thepattern. The f18s ran out of gas first, then the tomcats, then the ea6, thenthe a6s. So it was me and one other s3. > > A normal carrier pattern is 600 feet, one mile abeam, turn to give yourself 35to 45 seconds of straight away, or groove time. Well, knew this couldn't lastforever, you could see the guy getting shot off the cat putting the stick overso he'd turn immediately off the deck because his spoilers would come up.In fact if they didn't, you gave him a ration on the back radio.> > We were maybe 1/2 mile abeam, three fifty max altitude, 20 seconds in the groove.Perfectly out of sync, one guy abeam, the other getting shot. > > We both got 13 consecutive carrier landings. It was awesome! > > I love flying, but REALLY love pattern work.> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 793#450793> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 08:51:47 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT not Pietenpol but flying
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "TriScout"
Be happy to tell what I remember of it... Hehe. The first cat was even better!Uh,think you did, and pretty sure I don't! Do you know about when they were flyingthem? I was in the community from 91 to 97 or so.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT not Pietenpol but flying