Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:| owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tankse built my 701 tanks using 5052-032 aluminum and rivets. Used theFlamemaster Dyna-Seal sealant from Van's worked great... messy but great! All of the mounting flanges came from Van's. The ISS Fuel level senders come from Van's. The Fuel Level gauges came from ACS(ISS's). Van's gauges no goodhere... calibrated for their tanks!RonView of left tank....Left tank covered...Baffles in tank....Tank venting...Tank vent line....ISS Fuel level arm sensor bent and installed...ACS fuel cap in place... best method!!!!| || Acceptable but very heavy. The original tanks were made of| terneplate, which is steel sheet coated with an alloy of 20% tin| and 80% lead. It soldered very well. Soldering galvanized steel,| which is coated with zinc is much more difficult and requires| special solder alloys and special flux. One method is shown here:| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Imxj2_nXw|| I riveted my tank together out of 5052 aluminum alloy, then had it| TIG welded around all the edges and over each rivet. During leak| testing I found 39 pinhole leaks and took it back to the welder.| After re-welding over those 39 leaks I only found 9 leaks. Third| time was the charm and it has been leak free ever since.|| However, if I were to do it again I would just rivet it together| and use the Flamemaster Dyna-Seal product that I used when building| the tanks for my RV-10. This is what Van's Aircraft uses for all| their fuel tanks and it must be pretty successful since there are| literally thousands of airplanes flying using this method. It is| easy (if somewhat messy) to build a good fuel tank with this| method, and the tank doesn't warp during welding like most welded| tanks do (mine included).|| Jack Phillips| NX899JP| Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia|| -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:| owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanksI built my 701 tanks using 5052-032 aluminum and rivets. Used theFlamemaster Dyna-Seal sealant from Van's worked great... messy but great! All of the mounting flanges came from Van's. The ISS Fuel level senders come from Van's. The Fuel Level gauges came from ACS(ISS's). Van's gauges no goodhere... calibrated for their tanks!RonView of left tank....Left tank covered...Baffles in tank....Tank venting...Tank vent line....ISS Fuel level arm sensor bent and installed...ACS fuel cap in place... best method!!!!| || Acceptable but very heavy. The original tanks were made of| terneplate, which is steel sheet coated with an alloy of 20% tin| and 80% lead. It soldered very well. Soldering galvanized steel,| which is coated with zinc is much more difficult and requires| special solder alloys and special flux. One method is shown here:| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Imxj2_nXw|| I riveted my tank together out of 5052 aluminum alloy, then had it| TIG welded around all the edges and over each rivet. During leak| testing I found 39 pinhole leaks and took it back to the welder.| After re-welding over those 39 leaks I only found 9 leaks. Third| time was the charm and it has been leak free ever since.|| However, if I were to do it again I would just rivet it together| and use the Flamemaster Dyna-Seal product that I used when building| the tanks for my RV-10. This is what Van's Aircraft uses for all| their fuel tanks and it must be pretty successful since there are| literally thousands of airplanes flying using this method. It is| easy (if somewhat messy) to build a good fuel tank with this| method, and the tank doesn't warp during welding like most welded| tanks do (mine included).|| Jack Phillips| NX899JP| Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia|| -----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> | owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-
Great pics !! Thank youSent from my iPhone> On Apr 1, 2016, at 2:39 PM, infow wrote:> > I built my 701 tanks using 5052-032 aluminum and rivets. Used the> Flamemaster Dyna-Seal sealant from Van's worked great... messy but great! All of the mounting flanges came from Van's. The ISS Fuel level senders come from Van's. The Fuel Level gauges came from ACS(ISS's). Van's gauges no good here... calibrated for their tanks!> > > Ron> > > View of left tank....> > > > Left tank covered...> > > > > Baffles in tank....> > > > > > Tank venting...> > > > > Tank vent line....> > > > > ISS Fuel level arm sensor bent and installed...> > > > ACS fuel cap in place... best method!!!!> > > > > > > > > | > |> | Acceptable but very heavy. The original tanks were made of> | terneplate, which is steel sheet coated with an alloy of 20% tin> | and 80% lead. It soldered very well. Soldering galvanized steel,> | which is coated with zinc is much more difficult and requires> | special solder alloys and special flux. One method is shown here:> | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Imxj2_nXw> |> | I riveted my tank together out of 5052 aluminum alloy, then had it> | TIG welded around all the edges and over each rivet. During leak> | testing I found 39 pinhole leaks and took it back to the welder.> | After re-welding over those 39 leaks I only found 9 leaks. Third> | time was the charm and it has been leak free ever since.> |> | However, if I were to do it again I would just rivet it together> | and use the Flamemaster Dyna-Seal product that I used when building> | the tanks for my RV-10. This is what Van's Aircraft uses for all> | their fuel tanks and it must be pretty successful since there are> | literally thousands of airplanes flying using this method. It is> | easy (if somewhat messy) to build a good fuel tank with this> | method, and the tank doesn't warp during welding like most welded> | tanks do (mine included).> |> | Jack Phillips> | NX899JP> | Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia> |> | -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Ron nice looking work. In the last picture I see sealer on top of the pop rivets. Are they covered completely on the inside (backside)?
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 03/31/16

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: infow
Gary Boothe is in Lincoln, CA. You might try contacting him.--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanksYou apply the sealer to the to the tank surface and also rivets tips before inserting into the hole! Then once the rivet is set... apply a dab to the outer rivet to ensure a good seal. A good light cleaning with mek after canbe used to clean most of the rivets once sealer has set! Usually you will notsee any sealer when doneRon| Ron nice looking work. In the last picture I see sealer on top of| the pop rivets. Are they covered completely on the inside| (backside)?||
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanksSorry for the large photos... should be smaller!Ron| Ron nice looking work. In the last picture I see sealer on top of| the pop rivets. Are they covered completely on the inside| (backside)?||
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanksShould find some here ... http://search.skygeek.com/?vwcatalog=st ... x=0&y=0Ron| || Good morning Jack,|| Your method of riveting the 5052 aluminum and sealing it sounds| interesting. I checked on the Flamemaster web site and entered| dyna-seal and came up empty. By any chance would you have the| product number stowed away somewhere? They have many different| products and I wanted to find the proper sealant.|| Thanks, Mike.|| -----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 03/31/16

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: goffelectric(at)comcast.net
Bruce;There are several Piet builders/pilots in the SAC area. Gary Boothe is one (Lincoln),Chris Tracy is another, the Groah father-son, and there are others. Ineight weeks is the West Coast Piet fly-in, down at Frazier Lake Airpark nearHollister/Gilroy. Only a couple of hours drive from you. The first Saturdayin June.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 01:00:02 +0000 (UTC)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Fwd: Rib stitch

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Bruce,My Sky Scout is in its final stages. You are MORE than welcome to come see it,anytime. I'm in Colusa, CA, 530-458-7097.Hope to see you,Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Apr 3, 2016, at 3:19 PM, taildrags wrote:> > > Bruce;> > There are several Piet builders/pilots in the SAC area. Gary Boothe is one (Lincoln),Chris Tracy is another, the Groah father-son, and there are others.In eight weeks is the West Coast Piet fly-in, down at Frazier Lake Airpark nearHollister/Gilroy. Only a couple of hours drive from you. The first Saturdayin June.> > --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 514#454514> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Fwd: Rib stitch
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Fwd: Rib stitch

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Charles N. Campbell"
The good news is that it's easy to fly a Piet with nine fingers! Bravo!Oh, and ya, it gets a lot easier.... About the time you have it mastered, you'llbe done....ToolsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 08:53:00 -0400Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fwd: Rib stitch
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Fwd: Rib stitch

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> "Goff Electric"
Keith,Looks great, keep up the good work.JackSent from my iPad> On Apr 3, 2016, at 9:00 PM, goffelectric(at)comcast.net wrote:> > Five ribs stitched, 4.5 hours, and I pretty sure I'm gonna lose a finger. My 14 year old is off the couch though!> > Thanks,> Keith Goff>
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Fwd: Rib stitch

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
The sign of a rib-stitcher. No explanation required.Barry
matronics

Rib stitch

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: woodflier
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks>>> >> Thanks for the reply Gordon.> Fiberglass was considered as I've built and repaired fiberglass boats for > a> fair number of years. I discarded the idea for a number of reasons. I> actually need more weight not less. I guess the biggest reason is the> alcohol that is finding its way into almost all fuel. A real killer on> fiberglass tanks. If you use only av gas it shouldn't be a problem for> now,> but I end up using a lot of auto gas.> Thank you> Gene in Tennessee (down with the flu)>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->> mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on>> Microsoft>> Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and application> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting>>> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walt evans"
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks>>> >> Thanks for the reply Gordon.> Fiberglass was considered as I've built and repaired fiberglass boats for > a> fair number of years. I discarded the idea for a number of reasons. I> actually need more weight not less. I guess the biggest reason is the> alcohol that is finding its way into almost all fuel. A real killer on> fiberglass tanks. If you use only av gas it shouldn't be a problem for> now,> but I end up using a lot of auto gas.> Thank you> Gene in Tennessee (down with the flu)>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->> mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on>> Microsoft>> Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and application> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and applicationhosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting_____ ... ______Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:05:51 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks>>> >> Gordon,> Very interested in your galvanized steel tank. What thickness did you > use?> How hard was it to work with? I plan on forming my own and then having it> welded by someone that knows what their doing. Sounds like you get great> performance out of your plane.> I'm in the middle of completely going thru my Piet and doing a major on > the> A-65. I'm not completely happy with the current fuel tank and using a> heavier metel would allow me to do away with the lead.> As far as fiberglass using polyester resin or epoxy I encourage anyone> considering building a fuel tank from fiberglass to check around and do a> little investigating pior to building. Boat US is a good source of> information on fiberglass fuel tanks as well as many of the homebuilt > sites> (Avid, Kit Fox ect) that use fiberglass tanks. Fuel with alcohol is a big> problem for fiberglass tanks everyone should be awear of..> Gene> ----- Original Message -----
matronics

>> Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
>> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks>>>>>> >>>> Thanks for the reply Gordon.>> Fiberglass was considered as I've built and repaired fiberglass boats for>> a>> fair number of years. I discarded the idea for a number of reasons. I>> actually need more weight not less. I guess the biggest reason is the>> alcohol that is finding its way into almost all fuel. A real killer on>> fiberglass tanks. If you use only av gas it shouldn't be a problem for>> now,>> but I end up using a lot of auto gas.>> Thank you>> Gene in Tennessee (down with the flu)>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->>> mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on>>> Microsoft>>> Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and application>> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and application> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting>>> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks>>> >> Gordon,> Very interested in your galvanized steel tank. What thickness did you > use?> How hard was it to work with? I plan on forming my own and then having it> welded by someone that knows what their doing. Sounds like you get great> performance out of your plane.> I'm in the middle of completely going thru my Piet and doing a major on > the> A-65. I'm not completely happy with the current fuel tank and using a> heavier metel would allow me to do away with the lead.> As far as fiberglass using polyester resin or epoxy I encourage anyone> considering building a fuel tank from fiberglass to check around and do a> little investigating pior to building. Boat US is a good source of> information on fiberglass fuel tanks as well as many of the homebuilt > sites> (Avid, Kit Fox ect) that use fiberglass tanks. Fuel with alcohol is a big> problem for fiberglass tanks everyone should be awear of..> Gene> ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gene and Tammy"
>> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks>>>>>> >>>> Thanks for the reply Gordon.>> Fiberglass was considered as I've built and repaired fiberglass boats for>> a>> fair number of years. I discarded the idea for a number of reasons. I>> actually need more weight not less. I guess the biggest reason is the>> alcohol that is finding its way into almost all fuel. A real killer on>> fiberglass tanks. If you use only av gas it shouldn't be a problem for>> now,>> but I end up using a lot of auto gas.>> Thank you>> Gene in Tennessee (down with the flu)>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->>> mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on>>> Microsoft>>> Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and application>> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and application> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------mail2web.com Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on MicrosoftExchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/Enhan ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks>>> >> Gordon,> Your right that as long as you use Avgas, fiberglass tanks are safe. I'm> one of those that simply wants to be able to make the choice without fear> of> putting my self or my plane in danger. The last plane I owned (Avid) had> fiberglass tanks and I didn't have one single problem. I always tested> every tank of gas for alcohol. Others with the same plane, same > fiberglass> tanks, that did not test their gas, were having bad problems and some> planes> may have been lost because of it. Lots of problems with fiberglass and> alcohol are well documented. I'm not trying to scare anyone or badmouth> fiberglass, just want others to be informed.> Gene ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>
>> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks>>>>>> >>>> Gordon,>> Very interested in your galvanized steel tank. What thickness did you>> use?>> How hard was it to work with? I plan on forming my own and then having >> it>> welded by someone that knows what their doing. Sounds like you get great>> performance out of your plane.>> I'm in the middle of completely going thru my Piet and doing a major on>> the>> A-65. I'm not completely happy with the current fuel tank and using a>> heavier metel would allow me to do away with the lead.>> As far as fiberglass using polyester resin or epoxy I encourage anyone>> considering building a fuel tank from fiberglass to check around and do a>> little investigating pior to building. Boat US is a good source of>> information on fiberglass fuel tanks as well as many of the homebuilt>> sites>> (Avid, Kit Fox ect) that use fiberglass tanks. Fuel with alcohol is a >> big>> problem for fiberglass tanks everyone should be awear of..>> Gene>> ----- Original Message -----
matronics

>>> Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Oscar Zuniga"
>>> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>>> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks>>>>>>>>> >>>>>> Thanks for the reply Gordon.>>> Fiberglass was considered as I've built and repaired fiberglass boats >>> for>>> a>>> fair number of years. I discarded the idea for a number of reasons. I>>> actually need more weight not less. I guess the biggest reason is the>>> alcohol that is finding its way into almost all fuel. A real killer on>>> fiberglass tanks. If you use only av gas it shouldn't be a problem for>>> now,>>> but I end up using a lot of auto gas.>>> Thank you>>> Gene in Tennessee (down with the flu)>>>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->>>> mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on>>>> Microsoft>>>> Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->>> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and >>> application>>> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and application>> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------> mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on > Microsoft> Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail>>> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: > >
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com > Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks > > > > > > Gordon, > Your right that as long as you use Avgas, fiberglass tanks are safe. I'm > one of those that simply wants to be able to make the choice without fear > of > putting my self or my plane in danger. The last plane I owned (Avid) had > fiberglass tanks and I didn't have one single problem. I always tested > every tank of gas for alcohol. Others with the same plane, same > fiberglass > tanks, that did not test their gas, were having bad problems and some > planes > may have been lost because of it. Lots of problems with fiberglass and > alcohol are well documented. I'm not trying to scare anyone or badmouth > fiberglass, just want others to be informed. > Gene ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: >> >
>> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com >> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks >> >> >> > >> >> Gordon, >> Very interested in your galvanized steel tank. What thickness did you >> use? >> How hard was it to work with? I plan on forming my own and then having >> it >> welded by someone that knows what their doing. Sounds like you get great >> performance out of your plane. >> I'm in the middle of completely going thru my Piet and doing a major on >> the >> A-65. I'm not completely happy with the current fuel tank and using a >> heavier metel would allow me to do away with the lead. >> As far as fiberglass using polyester resin or epoxy I encourage anyone >> considering building a fuel tank from fiberglass to check around and do a >> little investigating pior to building. Boat US is a good source of >> information on fiberglass fuel tanks as well as many of the homebuilt >> sites >> (Avid, Kit Fox ect) that use fiberglass tanks. Fuel with alcohol is a >> big >> problem for fiberglass tanks everyone should be awear of.. >> Gene >> ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "GlennThomas(at)flyingwood.com"
>>> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com >>> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks >>> >>> >>> > >>> >>> Thanks for the reply Gordon. >>> Fiberglass was considered as I've built and repaired fiberglass boats >>> for >>> a >>> fair number of years. I discarded the idea for a number of reasons. I >>> actually need more weight not less. I guess the biggest reason is the >>> alcohol that is finding its way into almost all fuel. A real killer on >>> fiberglass tanks. If you use only av gas it shouldn't be a problem for >>> now, >>> but I end up using a lot of auto gas. >>> Thank you >>> Gene in Tennessee (down with the flu) >>> >>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>> mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on >>>> Microsoft=AE >>>> Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> -------------------------------------------------------------------- >>> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft=AE Windows=AE and Linux web and >>> application >>> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> -------------------------------------------------------------------- >> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft=AE Windows=AE and Linux web and application >> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------------------------- > mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on > Microsoft=AE > Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail > > > > > > > http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Piet ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: >
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com > Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks > > > > > Gordon, > Your right that as long as you use Avgas, fiberglass tanks are safe. I'm > one of those that simply wants to be able to make the choice without fear > of > putting my self or my plane in danger. The last plane I owned (Avid) had > fiberglass tanks and I didn't have one single problem. I always tested > every tank of gas for alcohol. Others with the same plane, same > fiberglass > tanks, that did not test their gas, were having bad problems and some > planes > may have been lost because of it. Lots of problems with fiberglass and > alcohol are well documented. I'm not trying to scare anyone or badmouth > fiberglass, just want others to be informed. > Gene ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: >>
>> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com >> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks >> >> >> >> >> Gordon, >> Very interested in your galvanized steel tank. What thickness did you >> use? >> How hard was it to work with? I plan on forming my own and then having >> it >> welded by someone that knows what their doing. Sounds like you get great >> performance out of your plane. >> I'm in the middle of completely going thru my Piet and doing a major on >> the >> A-65. I'm not completely happy with the current fuel tank and using a >> heavier metel would allow me to do away with the lead. >> As far as fiberglass using polyester resin or epoxy I encourage anyone >> considering building a fuel tank from fiberglass to check around and do a >> little investigating pior to building. Boat US is a good source of >> information on fiberglass fuel tanks as well as many of the homebuilt >> sites >> (Avid, Kit Fox ect) that use fiberglass tanks. Fuel with alcohol is a >> big >> problem for fiberglass tanks everyone should be awear of.. >> Gene >> ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Oscar Zuniga"
>>> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com >>> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> Thanks for the reply Gordon. >>> Fiberglass was considered as I've built and repaired fiberglass boats >>> for >>> a >>> fair number of years. I discarded the idea for a number of reasons. I >>> actually need more weight not less. I guess the biggest reason is the >>> alcohol that is finding its way into almost all fuel. A real killer on >>> fiberglass tanks. If you use only av gas it shouldn't be a problem for >>> now, >>> but I end up using a lot of auto gas. >>> Thank you >>> Gene in Tennessee (down with the flu) >>> >>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>> mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on >>>> Microsoft=AE >>>> Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> -------------------------------------------------------------------- >>> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft=AE Windows=AE and Linux web and >>> application >>> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> -------------------------------------------------------------------- >> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft=AE Windows=AE and Linux web and application >> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------------------------- > mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on > Microsoft=AE > Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail > > > > > > > nbsp; Features Subscriptions title=http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Piet ... //www.matp; available via title=http://forums.matronics.com/ href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Isablcorky(at)aol.com
>> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Fuel tanks>>>>>> >>>> Thanks for the reply Gordon.>> Fiberglass was considered as I've built and repaired fiberglass boats for>> a>> fair number of years. I discarded the idea for a number of reasons. I>> actually need more weight not less. I guess the biggest reason is the>> alcohol that is finding its way into almost all fuel. A real killer on>> fiberglass tanks. If you use only av gas it shouldn't be a problem for>> now,>> but I end up using a lot of auto gas.>> Thank you>> Gene in Tennessee (down with the flu)>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->>> mail2web.com - Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on>>> Microsoft>>> Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and application>> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft Windows and Linux web and application> hosting - http://link.mail2web.com/myhosting>>> ________________________________________________________________________________