Pietenpol-List: New Builder

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Larry L. Neal"
Hello everyone,I am building my first airplane, a Piet. I am really nervous aboutmaking sure I do things right the first time. After all my life and mypassengers life depend on me doing things right the first time. I planto follow the plans as closely as I possibly can. I just ordered someof my spruce from Wicks along with T-88. Now that I have ordered itsomeone tells me that Titebond II is better. Please help!! Am I doingthe right thing with T-88?I also want to mention that my wife and I visited Brodhead during yourflyin. We arrived late Sat. eve and left Sunday AM. I was impressed. I really like the small town atmosphere. My wife kept telling me thatif I plan to build an airplane, she must have a ride in one like the oneI am to build or I can't start building it. Well I really did not feetcomfortable asking anyone at Brodhead to give her a ride, but I told herthat next year after I have mine half built maybe next year on the FIRSTDAY of Brodhead we can arrange it. Anyway, I'm starting, and I'm surethis will not be the last you hear from me.Talk care and God Bless,Craig H.Hello everyone,I am building my first airplane, aPiet. Iam really nervous about making sure I do things right the firsttime.After all my life and my passengers life depend on me doing things rightthefirst time. I plan to follow the plans as closely as Ipossiblycan. I just ordered some of my spruce from Wicks along withT-88.Now that I have ordered it someone tells me that Titebond II isbetter.Please help!! Am I doing the right thing with T-88?I also want to mention that my wifeand Ivisited Brodhead during your flyin. We arrived late Sat. eve andleftSunday AM. I was impressed. I really like the small townatmosphere. My wife kept telling me that if I plan to build anairplane,she must have a ride in one like the one I am to build or I can't startbuildingit. Well I really did not feet comfortable asking anyone atBrodhead togive her a ride, but I told her that next year after I have mine halfbuiltmaybe next year on the FIRST DAY of Brodhead we can arrange it.Anyway, I'm starting, and I'm sure this will not be the last youhear fromme.Talk care and GodBless,Craig H.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
=A0-----Original Message-----f Craig &Shari HansonSent: Thursday, September 03, 1998 3:27 AMSubject: Pietenpol-List: New BuilderHello everyone,=A0I am building my first airplane, a Piet.=A0 I am really nervous about= makingsure I do things right the first time.=A0 After all my life and my pa=ssengerslife depend on me doing things right the first time.=A0 I plan to fol=low theplans as closely=A0 as I possibly can.=A0 I just ordered some of my s=pruce fromWicks along with T-88.=A0 Now that I have ordered it someone tells me= thatTitebond II is better.=A0 Please help!!=A0 Am I doing the right thing= with T-88?=A0Craig,=A0 You will learn quickly that every choice you make in buildi=ng anairplane is a compromise, however, in most cases it is a choice ofcompletely adequate, and even more than completely adequate.=A0=A0 Yo=ur gluequestion is a good example.=A0 I would venture to guess that the numb=er ofaircraft glues joint flying with T-88 is 1000 time higher than thoseofTitebond II.=A0 Secondly your life need not depend on those thing you= do thefirst time.=A0 If it isn't right, do it again.=A0 Several parts on my= plane aresecond, third or fourth times built.=A0Hope your enjoying the learning process!=A0STevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: del magsam
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: New Builder

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Roger Green"
ROG, I used the one with the verticals. ( as I think most others did too)Stands to reason, without the verticals, there is no sure way of having allribs at the same point. With the verticals, the ribs are simply clamped tothe spar at the right spacing , and you have a beautifully perfect wing.Also another point,,,the gussets that mate to the spar on the other sidefrom the vertical,,,leave them off , and add them after the spars and theribs are glued. If you leave enough space in there to slide the ribs on,then the gussets will have a large space.AND,,,when glueing the ribs on, you'll need a zillion clamps. This is wherethe clamps made of PVC pipe really come in handy. If you've been followingyou'll know about them, If not, me or someone will describe them. They areone of the coolest tips that I learned off this group. And they cost about$.01 each.waltNX140DLNJ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walter evans"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New BuilderWalt, Wanted to ask how you found the trim on your first flights. Edwin, my T/P had to hold a little back pressure on the stick the first few flights. This was solved by twisting the hor stabs a bit.Corky________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
Corky,The first flight I found that at cruise, I had to keep slight fwd pressurein the stick. And when setting up in the pattern , and pulling back toabout 1500 rpm, the pressure went away and it set up for a perfect 65 MPHglide angle. ( the W&B calculated that with just me and low fuel, I was verynear aft CG) but only had about 6 gals in front tank, with none in toptank.Then during the day hand carried some AV fuel from nearby and topped off thefront tank. The last flight of the day it would fly hands off with thealmost full nose tank. ( The nose tank saved the day for me with thisproject!!!)Didn't you say that Edwin was smaller than average, while you are largerthan average?Cause the case with me, at 210#, I'm packing alot of beef in the rear. ( orgumbo as it were)walt----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Edwin Johnson
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
Hi allFirst the intro before the questions and off the wall comments. 25 years or soago, as a kid, I dreamed of building and flying my own plane. Looking back itlikely would have been built of 2x6 and 3/8 inch plywood, weighed in at 3500 lbsempty, and been powered by a snowmobile engine. Oh the optimism of youth! Thencame real life, having a family making a living, etc... But the dream offlight stayed nestled quietly in the back of my mind, fanned once in a while witha ride or even just watching a small plane fly by. A year and a half or soago the ember started glowing brighter again and with a little encouragementburst into a flaming desire I can't seem to extinguish (okay I'm not trying veryhard).with a little research on the web I found building my own plane wasn't so off thewall (although with a slightly modified materials list). Then I found the Pietenpol.Ever since I first saw her I want her so bad I can taste it. Ive lurkedhere daily in the last year trying to learn all I could about her but to shyto speak up till I could say Ive started building. Well Ive started. Finishedmy rib jig yest and started cutting pieces, What a feeling. My wife is doingvery well with it considering small planes scare her. I tell her many Pietstake 10 or more years to complete so she doesn't have to worry for a while [Wink]Anyhow, thanks Cliff for your kindly reply to my email the other day andMichael for your hint video's.See you aroundKim(ball)--------"She is about as hot as you'll ever find a plane and I'll bet that 10 yearsfrom now the design will be pretty warm still." B. H. PietenpolRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: New Builder

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Kim,Welcome to the wonderful world of Pietenpols and the even more wonderfulworld of Pietenpol People. You will find this to be a life-changingexperience. With this airplane project you will find many challenges andrewards, frustrations and moments of great pride. With this list you willfind much good information, some bad information, much extraneousinformation, a wealth of humor, some excellent sarcasm, and a number ofnever-to-be-expected friends.Just to beat Mike Cuy to saying it, if you haven't already, please buy thefour Tony Bingelis books from EAA - The Sportplane Builder, SportplaneConstruction Techniques, Firewall Forward, and Tony Bingelis on Engines.They are excellent sources of information and contain just about everythingyou need to know to build an airplane. Whatever information they lack canbe acquired here or at one of the forums at Oshkosh or Sun 'n' Fun.Plan to attend Brodhead if possible. Next year it will be Friday July 22 -Sunday July 24. That will be your best chance to see a fairly large numberof Pietenpols all in one place.Are you a pilot yet? If not, go ahead and get your license while buildingyour Pietenpol. Where are you located?Good Luck!Jack PhillipsNX899JP "Icarus Plummet"Raleigh, NC-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan M
Today, Tim Wall brought his newly purchased project by my hangar. It camewith a 100% complete wing and tail, so he's off to a great start. We thenwent over to builder Mike Weaver's house (his project is in the garage.Pictured is Chris Tracy (www.westcoastpiet.com), Gary Boothe, Tim Wall andMike Weaver, recently returned from deployment in Afghanistan. Tim's Pietcurrently has a Corvair, circa BHP, but will most likely get upgraded to aWW Corvair Conversion. Chris is standing as far from the Corvair aspossible.he's afraid it might rub off on him!Gary BootheNX308MB________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 18:48:43 -0800 (PST)
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Pietenpol and Riblett performance comparisons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: michael.d.cuy(at)nasa.gov
Conversely=2C any wing will give better climb & take-off performance if you add 2ft to it. The only reason a cub has better climb perf than a piet is it"s longer.Doug DeverIn beautiful Stow Ohio
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: aircamperace(at)yahoo.com
Looks like the west coast Piet group is thriving=2C a new member is certainly welcome. Great to have Mike back in the country again. Hope to see all of you and more at Frazier Lake the first Saturday in June for our annual gathering. We hope to fly in this year. Thanks for the post Gary=2C It is great to keep in touch. I had word from William Ford that he is again working on his Piet and is well along. Maybe he too will make it to the june meet as well. The rumor is that there are several new planes that have not been part of the group out there that we would like to see in June. Hope we can get them out. If they are not yet flying then we would like to see the owners. Vic NX414MV Date: Sat=2C 2 Feb 2013 18:48:43 -0800
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Boyer
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Hi everyone! I have followed the boards off and on for a while and looked at differentdesigns, but in the end, I keep coming back to the Pietenpol. Cost andease of construction are definitely factors, but mostly I think I am just inlove with what it represents; that bygone era of grass roots aviation and a senseof adventure. I am planning on an A65-8, no electrical, wood gear with spoked wheels, minimuminstruments with an altimeter, airspeed, and compass in the front pit (I wantto use it to instruct as well), and may end up doing wood struts and cabanesas on C-GZHT. The only problem I may run into is that I am 6'4" and about 225 pounds. So theplan is to hopefully try on some Pietenpols at Brodhead and maybe even find someonenice enough to take me up (if I can fit :/). If anyone has any commentsor advice I am all ears. If anyone has had any experience modifying the fuselageto make a tall person friendly version, please let me know. Thanks In advance,Joe________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 00:08:13 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Well hell Steve, what on a Piet doesn't have drag, I'll just fit in even better.Anyway, I'll keep digging through the archives. ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 12:48:20 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Thanks Steve,I already planned on the cut out in the wing with a handhold, also a step in thefuselage side, and raising the wing. I just need to figure out how high to raiseit and what I need to do with the fuse to make it work. Specifically I was looking at two options:1) To make the rear instrument panel a tip-up that is attached with a piano hingeand latches, or 2) To move the front seat and the firewall forward since I need to do so anywaybecause of the lighter engine. Ultimately I can make it work somehow, the CG will be the tricky bit however. LuckilyBernie blessed us with a wing we can adjust to and throw....________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 20:51:17 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Joe wrote-> I am planning on an A65-8=2C no electrical=2C wood gear with spoked wheels=2C minimum> instruments with an altimeter=2C airspeed=2C and compass in the front pit (I want> to use it to instruct as well)Joe=2C it would help if you would let us know where you are located=2C since you may have some very good resources nearby but you won't know and we won't know unless we know where you are.You didn't say whether you meant you would try instructing from the front 'pit and therefore wanted minimal instrumentation up there for yourself=2C or whether you meant you would be instructing from the rear 'pit and only wanted minimal instrumentation up front so the student would learn to fly the airplane and not the instruments. I got my checkride and first flights in my Air Camper by flying it from the front 'pit=2C minimal distractions (there are NO flight instruments in the front cockpit of 41CC at all)=2C and did just fine. Recognize a couple of things about attempting to instruct from the front cockpit=2C and I'll use my airplane as the example. I am NOT a flight instructor but I've frazzled a lot of them in my day =3Bo)There are three controls in the rear cockpit of my airplane (okay=2C maybe four) which I consider to be essential to the safety of flight and control of the aircraft=2C and which are NOT replicated in the front cockpit of 41CC=2C or many other Air Campers for that matter. They are the fuel shutoff valve=2C the carburetor heat control=2C the ignition switch=2C and possibly the brakes. Think about what that means when you are in the front and a student has those three (or four) controls and you do not. When I fly my airplane=2C I want to have those controls available to me or I want to have a certified pilot or skilled operator in the rear seat and I sure as heck want to have intercom. If you want to instruct or give checkrides=2C think about at the very least duplicating the fuel shutoff and carb heat controls in both cockpits. At the absolute=2C barest minimum- the carb heat control=2C if you have a small Continental with a Stromberg carb on it. Stick=2C throttle=2C and rudders in both cockpits are "givens"=3B instruments are optional.> The only problem I may run into is that I am 6'4" and about 225 pounds. So the> plan is to hopefully try on some Pietenpols at Brodhead and maybe even find someone> nice enough to take me up (if I can fit :/). If anyone has any comments> or advice I am all ears. The best advice I can give is to try some on. Get away from the crowds where you don't feel self-conscious and can make the honest attempt to get in and out of both cockpits. I've had several good sized people in the front cockpit of my Air Camper=2C one of them close to your size=2C so it comes down to determination and agility. The older and less agile=2C the greater the degree of difficulty but I took one guy up who had one or two frozen joints and really had mobility problems but still managed to get in=2C go for a ride=2C and get back out. The good news is that the weight of the person in the front cockpit has almost no effect on CG and rarely any impact on gross weight=2C but it depends on the aircraft and that's an entirely separate discussion.By the way=2C pay no attention to Steven Dortch and his email comments. He throws peanuts from the peanut gallery=2C cracks jokes=2C helps people disassemble and load their aircraft into moving vans when they need help=2C has a great family and takes them to the airport to hang out=2C and has even ridden in my Air Camper once. I thought it was fun and apparently he did too. A good guy=2C but don't get your airplane or vehicle near him or he'll take out his spray gun and paint everything red. I saw him do that to a perfectly good Chevy Suburban once.Welcome to the list!Oscar ZunigaMedford=2C ORAir Camper NX41CCA75 power ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 07:57:45 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Joachim Seitz
Many years ago when I was at the same position of wondering how high to raise the wing, Vi Kapler was giving a forum at Brodhead and said to raise it four inches. He was a tall man and had worked on many Pietenpols. He said that four inches would not affect the handling of the airplane. That was enough reason for me to follow his advice.Ralph in SD________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 11:50:59 -0400Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
Hi Joachim,I usually arrive at Brodhead Thursday or Friday and leave for Oshkosh on Sunday, but I live close at the South end of Lk Michigan. By Sunday afternoon things are pretty well cleared out as most people have left for home or Oshkosh. A few years ago I planned on spending Sunday night and then flying into Oshkosh to stay with friends. I walked into town for dinner and when I got back to Brodhead everyone was gone, the porta potties were gone and everything else was locked up.Rick SchreiberNX478RSValparaiso, INOn 4/19/2016 10:50 AM, Joachim Seitz wrote:>> Well for starters I live down in North Port, Florida, which is the > southernmost part of Sarasota County.>> As for my statement about instruction, one of my greatest passions in > aviation is sharing it with others. This means that when completed, my > Piet will be used for a lot of Young Eagles flights, old eagles > flights, and basically taking anyone up that wants to go. The > instruction portion would be for LSA instruction for those that can't > afford to learn to fly otherwise but have the passion for it. I got > lucky as hell when I was growing up to have a very supportive mom who > helped me be able to earn my PPL at 17. Even though I saved most of > the money up myself, without her, I couldn't have done it. I think > that for me it's about breaking that financial barrier that keeps > people on the ground.>> I believe I will most likely instruct from the rear until the student > is competent enough to handle the extra bits like the fuel shutoff, > carb heat, etc.>> I wish I could make the West Coast Piet gathering, but unfortunately > money is tight, really tight. I basically have to save up just to get > sub kits for the Piet if that puts things into perspective. I am going > to make it to Brodhead and Oshkosh though, and will be arriving at > Brodhead around noon on Sunday, so hopefully there is still someone there.>> Ralph, I will definitely make a note of raising the wing 4 inches. > Ironically I was contemplating 3-4, so I guess that was a good guess.>> Oscar, Steven, thank you guys for the info and keep it coming, it's great.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
As one who built and flies an A65 powered Pietenpol with wire wheels and a straight axle, I can tell you that if you intend to take a broad range of passengers up, and if the strip you will fly from is short, you might want to consider a C85 or an O-200. I weigh just under 200 lbs. and have taken a 205 lb. passenger in mine on a hot July day, but it was from a 6,000=99 runway and we were every bit of 100=99 high when we got to the end of the runway, more than a minute after taking off. I have a vertical speed indicator in mine and with a heavy load on a hot day, it will not do more than 100 fpm, which is the FAA=99s definition of the Service Ceiling for the airplane (the altitude at which max rate of climb yields a climb rate of 100 fpm). The airport where I was flying that day has an elevation of 248=99, so don=99t think being close to sea level in Florida will help.I now live in the Blue Ridge mountains in Virginia and I=99m very careful to keep track of Density Altitude. My home airport has a 3000=99 runway and I will not take a passenger that weighs more than 180 lbs.Putting a bigger engine such as an O-200 or a Corvair in does wonders for the climb rate, as all excess power goes straight into improving climb, although it won=99t do much to increase cruise speed. Or you can just really monitor weight during the building of your project. Mike Cuy=99s Pietenpol is much like mine, with an A65, straight axle and wire wheels but his weighs 632 where mine weighs 745. That extra 113 lbs. really hurts.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Joachim Seitz
Joe, youshould drop your rear seat an inch and half. It sure helps and also increasethe width of your fuselage two inches. I did and it definitely helps. Alsoyou should tilt your rear seat back about 4 inches. All this makes a betterpit.Sent from my iPad> On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:14 PM, Joachim Seitz wrote:> > > Hi everyone! I have followed the boards off and on for a while and looked atdifferent designs, but in the end, I keep coming back to the Pietenpol. Cost andease of construction are definitely factors, but mostly I think I am just inlove with what it represents; that bygone era of grass roots aviation and asense of adventure. > > I am planning on an A65-8, no electrical, wood gear with spoked wheels, minimuminstruments with an altimeter, airspeed, and compass in the front pit (I wantto use it to instruct as well), and may end up doing wood struts and cabanesas on C-GZHT. > > The only problem I may run into is that I am 6'4" and about 225 pounds. So theplan is to hopefully try on some Pietenpols at Brodhead and maybe even findsomeone nice enough to take me up (if I can fit :/). If anyone has any commentsor advice I am all ears. If anyone has had any experience modifying the fuselageto make a tall person friendly version, please let me know. > > Thanks In advance,> Joe> > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 16:03:59 -0400Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Dralle
This is what a SkyScout looks like when the fuselage bottom is curved about 2" lower. I'm 6'4", 200 lbs and I fit fine.Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Apr 19, 2016, at 12:21 PM, Gardiner Mason wrote:> > > Joe, youshould drop your rear seat an inch and half. It sure helps and also increase the width of your fuselage two inches. I did and it definitely helps. Also you should tilt your rear seat back about 4 inches. All this makes a better pit.> > Sent from my iPad> >> On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:14 PM, Joachim Seitz wrote:>> il.com>>> >> Hi everyone! I have followed the boards off and on for a while and looked at different designs, but in the end, I keep coming back to the Pietenpol. Cost and ease of construction are definitely factors, but mostly I think I am just in love with what it represents; that bygone era of grass roots aviation and a sense of adventure. >> >> I am planning on an A65-8, no electrical, wood gear with spoked wheels, minimum instruments with an altimeter, airspeed, and compass in the front pit (I want to use it to instruct as well), and may end up doing wood struts and cabanes as on C-GZHT. >> >> The only problem I may run into is that I am 6'4" and about 225 pounds. So the plan is to hopefully try on some Pietenpols at Brodhead and maybe even find someone nice enough to take me up (if I can fit :/). If anyone has any comments or advice I am all ears. If anyone has had any experience modifying the fuselage to make a tall person friendly version, please let me know. >> >> Thanks In advance,>> Joe> > ===============================================================================================================================================================================> > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 13:44:06 -0700
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: New Builder

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "JSeitz"
Joe,Just remember that lots of the suggested changes add weight. Jack's advice is right on. Mine weighs 700 pounds. If you aren't a wide guy you gain nothing but weight from a wide fuselage. Dropping your seat bottom has limits, as the rudder and elevator cables have to pass under you. Tilting your seat back moves your upper body weight aft, not exactly what you want. My advice would be to build wing ribs, etc until you can sit in a few and decide what your really *need*. I live over in Titusville, Fl on the east coast. If you are ever over my way I can show you a long fuselage, A-65 powered version built to the plans. If you are anxious to get started you could do what I did and build a mock-up fuselage out of lumberyard wood just to see how you fit. I did that and it went together surprisingly quick.Ben CharvetNX866BC321-961-5117On 4/19/2016 3:21 PM, Gardiner Mason wrote:>> Joe, youshould drop your rear seat an inch and half. It sure helps and also increasethe width of your fuselage two inches. I did and it definitely helps.Also you should tilt your rear seat back about 4 inches. All this makes a betterpit.>> Sent from my iPad>>> On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:14 PM, Joachim Seitz wrote:>>>>>> Hi everyone! I have followed the boards off and on for a while and looked atdifferent designs, but in the end, I keep coming back to the Pietenpol. Costand ease of construction are definitely factors, but mostly I think I am justin love with what it represents; that bygone era of grass roots aviation and asense of adventure.>>>> I am planning on an A65-8, no electrical, wood gear with spoked wheels, minimuminstruments with an altimeter, airspeed, and compass in the front pit (I wantto use it to instruct as well), and may end up doing wood struts and cabanesas on C-GZHT.>>>> The only problem I may run into is that I am 6'4" and about 225 pounds. So theplan is to hopefully try on some Pietenpols at Brodhead and maybe even findsomeone nice enough to take me up (if I can fit :/). If anyone has any commentsor advice I am all ears. If anyone has had any experience modifying the fuselageto make a tall person friendly version, please let me know.>>>> Thanks In advance,>> Joe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> .>-- Ben Charvet, PharmDStaff PharmacistParrish Medical center________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ben Charvet
Joe, I used a sheet of aluminum with a 3/4 in bend to fit over the front ledgeand then curved down to conform to my butt and then curved back up and screweddown to the ledge across the back. It makes a very comfortable seat. You should,notdo this to the front as it might interfere with your feet on the rudders.GardenerSent from my iPad> On Apr 19, 2016, at 4:22 PM, Ray Krause wrote:> > This is what a SkyScout looks like when the fuselage bottom is curved about 2"lower. I'm 6'4", 200 lbs and I fit fine.> > > > > Ray Krause> Sent from my iPad> >> On Apr 19, 2016, at 12:21 PM, Gardiner Mason wrote:>> >> >> Joe, youshould drop your rear seat an inch and half. It sure helps and alsoincrease the width of your fuselage two inches. I did and it definitely helps.Also you should tilt your rear seat back about 4 inches. All this makes a betterpit.>> >> Sent from my iPad>> >>> On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:14 PM, Joachim Seitz wrote:>>> >>> >>> Hi everyone! I have followed the boards off and on for a while and looked atdifferent designs, but in the end, I keep coming back to the Pietenpol. Costand ease of construction are definitely factors, but mostly I think I am justin love with what it represents; that bygone era of grass roots aviation anda sense of adventure. >>> >>> I am planning on an A65-8, no electrical, wood gear with spoked wheels, minimuminstruments with an altimeter, airspeed, and compass in the front pit (Iwant to use it to instruct as well), and may end up doing wood struts and cabanesas on C-GZHT. >>> >>> The only problem I may run into is that I am 6'4" and about 225 pounds. Sothe plan is to hopefully try on some Pietenpols at Brodhead and maybe even findsomeone nice enough to take me up (if I can fit :/). If anyone has any commentsor advice I am all ears. If anyone has had any experience modifying the fuselageto make a tall person friendly version, please let me know. >>> >>> Thanks In advance,>>> Joe>> >> > ===================================> ===================================> ===================================> ===================================> ===================================>> >> >> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New Builder
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: New Builder

Post by matronics »

I figured that for right now, my best option is to do just that, build the littlebits and wait until I can try a few on before I make any decisions on the fuselage.The rudder is done and waiting for sealant, fabric, and metal bits. Isuppose ribs, and the rest of the empenage will be next.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 16:32:21 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

That's what I was planning on doing. What can I use on the wood before covering?Spar varnish, polyurethane, or do I have to use a specialized coating?________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Boatright, Jeffrey"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: New BuilderI really like the West system epoxy.blue Skies,Steve DOn Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Joachim Seitz wrote:> joachimkarlseitz(at)gmail.com>>> That's what I was planning on doing. What can I use on the wood before> covering? Spar varnish, polyurethane, or do I have to use a specialized> coating?>>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: The Squawkless Phoenix

Post by matronics »

QWZ0ZXIgYSB3aW50ZXIgb2YgcmVidWlsZGluZywgdGhlIFBpZXRlbnBvbCBmbGllcyBhZ2FpbiEgVGhhbmtzIHRvIE1pa2UgU3Rld2FydCBmb3IgdGhlIGV4Y2VsbGVudCB0aGlua2luZywgZmFicmljYXRpbmcsIGFuZCBidWlsZGluZyAtLSBhbmQgY2FtZXJhIHdvcmshIEFuZCBheXVwLCB0aG9zZSBhcmUgRG91d2UncyBvbGQgcmltcyBhbmQgdGlyZXMuIFN0aWxsIHdhaXRpbmcgb24gdGhlIG5ldyBwcm9wIGZyb20gSmF5IGFuZCBDYXJtZW4gKENsb3VkY2FycykuIFRoaXMgdG9vdGhwaWNrIGlzIHdoYXQgb3JpZ2luYWxseSBjYW1lIHdpdGggdGhlIHBsYW5lLCBiYWNrIHdoZW4gaXQgaGFkIGFuIEE2NS4gTm8gY2xpbWIgY29tcGFyZWQgdGhhdCB3aGF0IEkgZ290IHdpdGggdGhlIENsb3VkY2FycyBwcm9wLCBidXQgaXQnbGwgZmx5IHRoZSBwbGFuZSBvbiBvdXQgd2l0aCBoYWxmIGZ1ZWwgb24gYSBjb29sIGV2ZW5pbmcuDQoNCkFic29sdXRlbHkgbm8gc3F1YXdrcyBvdGhlcndpc2UhIEZsaWVzIGhhbmRzIG9mZiEgQnJha2VzIGFyZSBiZXR0ZXIgdGhhbiBldmVyIChNaWtlICYgTWlrZSBkZXNpZ24pLiBBbmQgdGhlIG5ldyBleGhhdXN0IHNvdW5kcyBldmVuIG1vcmUgYW50aXF1ZXkhDQoNCmh0dHBzOi8veW91dHUuYmUvMEpNZzNNMnN3THcNCg0KDQrigJQNCkplZmZyZXkgSC4gQm9hdHJpZ2h0LCBQaEQsIEZBUlZPDQpQcm9mZXNzb3Igb2YgT3BodGhhbG1vbG9neQ0KRW1vcnkgVW5pdmVyc2l0eSBTY2hvb2wgb2YgTWVkaWNpbmUNCkNvcmUgRGlyZWN0b3IgJiBSZXNlYXJjaCBCaW9sb2dpc3QNCkF0bGFudGEgVkFNQyBDZW50ZXIgZm9yIFZpc3VhbCAmIE5ldXJvY29nbml0aXZlIFJlaGFiaWxpdGF0aW9uDQoNCl9fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fDQoNClRoaXMgZS1tYWlsIG1lc3NhZ2UgKGluY2x1ZGluZyBhbnkgYXR0YWNobWVudHMpIGlzIGZvciB0aGUgc29sZSB1c2Ugb2YNCnRoZSBpbnRlbmRlZCByZWNpcGllbnQocykgYW5kIG1heSBjb250YWluIGNvbmZpZGVudGlhbCBhbmQgcHJpdmlsZWdlZA0KaW5mb3JtYXRpb24uIElmIHRoZSByZWFkZXIgb2YgdGhpcyBtZXNzYWdlIGlzIG5vdCB0aGUgaW50ZW5kZWQNCnJlY2lwaWVudCwgeW91IGFyZSBoZXJlYnkgbm90aWZpZWQgdGhhdCBhbnkgZGlzc2VtaW5hdGlvbiwgZGlzdHJpYnV0aW9uDQpvciBjb3B5aW5nIG9mIHRoaXMgbWVzc2FnZSAoaW5jbHVkaW5nIGFueSBhdHRhY2htZW50cykgaXMgc3RyaWN0bHkNCnByb2hpYml0ZWQuDQoNCklmIHlvdSBoYXZlIHJlY2VpdmVkIHRoaXMgbWVzc2FnZSBpbiBlcnJvciwgcGxlYXNlIGNvbnRhY3QNCnRoZSBzZW5kZXIgYnkgcmVwbHkgZS1tYWlsIG1lc3NhZ2UgYW5kIGRlc3Ryb3kgYWxsIGNvcGllcyBvZiB0aGUNCm9yaWdpbmFsIG1lc3NhZ2UgKGluY2x1ZGluZyBhdHRhY2htZW50cykuDQo________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 23:42:09 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: The Squawkless Phoenix
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: The Squawkless Phoenix

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
Congrats! After having 2rn down twice for major stuff, it's REALLY nice to haveme back up again.Maybe meet up soon with the big Piet guys.ToolsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: The Squawkless Phoenix

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Elizabeth Cooper
Jeff,Thanks, what a beautiful plane! And your airmanship is superb! I think every PIETENPOL flying is a product of this forum. Mine will certainly be that: thanks to you, Scott L, Gary B, Jim B, Mike C, and all the rest of you.Ray Krause,SkyScout.Sent from my iPad> On Apr 20, 2016, at 8:12 PM, Boatright, Jeffrey wrote:> > After a winter of rebuilding, the Pietenpol flies again! Thanks to Mike Stewart for the excellent thinking, fabricating, and building -- and camera work! And ayup, those are Douwe's old rims and tires. Still waiting on the new prop from Jay and Carmen (Cloudcars). This toothpick is what originally came with the plane, back when it had an A65. No climb compared that what I got with the Cloudcars prop, but it'll fly the plane on out with half fuel on a cool evening.> > Absolutely no squawks otherwise! Flies hands off! Brakes are better than ever (Mike & Mike design). And the new exhaust sounds even more antiquey!> > https://youtu.be/0JMg3M2swLw> > > =94 > Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD, FARVO> Professor of Ophthalmology> Emory University School of Medicine> Core Director & Research Biologist> Atlanta VAMC Center for Visual & Neurocognitive Rehabilitation> > > This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of> the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged> information. If the reader of this message is not the intended> recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution> or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly> prohibited.> > If you have received this message in error, please contact> the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the> original message (including attachments).________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 18:13:22 +0000 (UTC)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Joe,You asked what kind of wood sealer you need. It depends on the covering systemyou are using. If you are using poly fiber, you need an epoxy sealer to withstand the exposureto mek it's going to have.If you are using the Stewart system, you can use about any varnish or polyurethane.If your finish is "exterior" grade, it's usually a little more expensive and designedto be a bit more durable, read abrasion resistant. If it's "spar" whatever,it has additives to help withstand UV. Both good things.In the old days varnish was a natural resin, and poly was synthetic. These daysyou have to read the fine print to be sure. True varnish is harder and ableto be polished, which we don't care about. Poly is softer and more pliable,which is desirable on wood kept in non climate controlled environments. My preference is a synthetic exterior grade spar "varnish" (that is actually poly).Still MUCH cheaper than epoxy "varnish".As with ALL of these, thin the first coat for better penetration. Water based finishes are also alright under Stewart adhesives. I believe themall to be synthetic. ToolsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New Builder
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: The Squawkless Phoenix

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gardiner Mason
Cliff, I have looked through your site before, and I must say that your workmanshipis impeccable, something to truly be striven for. I especially liked yourthrottle quadrant. I will reconsider the flop, plus it would allow me to hidea handle in there as well. I suppose that this is all a balance act of weightversus smoothness of flight.Tools, that was exactly what I was looking for! Now I can begin to coat my wood(so to speak) and protect it. I would rather use Stewart Systems just becauseof some bad experiences with MEK.You guys have all been awesome, and though I may or may not use all of your ideas,they have all been helpful in making the decisions.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: The Squawkless Phoenix
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> tools
Hey, I would like to meet up with you guys also. I have been rebuilding my bird with a new engine and almost done. A c85 instead of a corvair. Gardiner MasonSent from my iPad> On Apr 21, 2016, at 10:56 PM, Boatright, Jeffrey wrote:> > Sound good to me!> > =94 > Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD, FARVO> Professor of Ophthalmology> Emory University School of Medicine> Core Director & Research Biologist> Atlanta VAMC Center for Visual & Neurocognitive Rehabilitation>
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Boatright, Jeffrey"
Glad it helped ya some. I used Stewart adhesive on my Piet repairs. Not as easyas stits, but wildly tenacious. I think it has fantastic adhesive qualities.As with ALL water based stuff, it's important to not muck with it too much. Whenlaying down a coat, load the brush well, paint deliberately and accuratelyand be done. When the brush unloads to the point you have to "squeeze" or pressharder, stop, reload and get back to it. Don't try to brush brush brush toget it out. That constitutes "mucking" and things get gloppy quick.There is an art to loading a brush as I learned many yeas ago from a professionalhouse painter. We usually dip and then scrape... Counterproductive. Dip andthen pat against the interior wall (this means transfer to suitable containerif necessary) to remove excess rather than scrape. Sounds meaningless, butgive it a try. Cheers,ToolsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

I have a CORVAIR motor for sale. It is all cleaned up, case has been gone through,new crank, new harmonic balencer, push rod tubes, heads are fresh and readyto bolt on. Plus many extras. Needs pistons, cylinders and rods.tonyp51qa(at)gmail.com480-748-3470--------Tony CrawfordRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Cliff, I have looked through your site before, and I must say that your workmanshipis impeccable, something to truly be striven for. I especially liked yourthrottle quadrant. I will reconsider the flop, plus it would allow me to hidea handle in there as well. I suppose that this is all a balance act of weightversus smoothness of flight.Tools, that was exactly what I was looking for! Now I can begin to coat my wood(so to speak) and protect it. I would rather use Stewart Systems just becauseof some bad experiences with MEK.You guys have all been awesome, and though I may or may not use all of your ideas,they have all been helpful in making the decisions.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New Builder
matronics

Post by matronics »

That's what we're here for. Your turn will come. :-)ClifTo most people the sky is the limit.To a pilot, the sky is home.> You guys have all been awesome, and though I may or may not use all of > your ideas, they have all been helpful in making the decisions.________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 14:34:42 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: New Builder
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Pietenpol and Riblett performance comparisons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: V Groah
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Pietenpol and Riblett performance comparisonsGood posts on this subject and I think PF said it best in his preliminary report: "Are there going to be any major performance differences in thetwo wings. Based on the first 12-14 flights=2C I don=92t think so."In my simple mind I'm thinking if the Riblett indeed does give a better climb ratethan Piet wing it should at least=2C bare minimum match the climb rate of the Pietenpoleven without vortex generators which it doesn't at least thus far. In cruise vortex generators don't help you so they are not a factor but the Riblett should helpcruise speed and so far from PF's testing the Riblett wing doesn't do any better than thePietenpol wing.I realize that Don Harpers Corvair isn't fully broken in yet and that he and PF arecontinuing to fine tune Don's rigging and ASI indications so there will be further resultsas this comparison goes on but for right now I'm not seeing anything that would makeme want to build a Pietenpol with a Riblett airfoil. I think the speed increase that Lowell Frank felt with his Riblett was real but only because his Riblett wing is 2 feet shorter than a normal Piet wing. Any airfoil willgive you a faster cruise speed if you cut two feet from it. Good discussion and many thanks to PF and Don Harper for this valuable input. Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
> To: "pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com" > Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: The Squawkless Phoenix> > > Congrats! After having 2rn down twice for major stuff, it's REALLY nice to have me back up again.> > Maybe meet up soon with the big Piet guys.> > Tools> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 289#455289> > > > > > > ===============================================================================================================================================================================> > > > > > > This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of> the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged> information. If the reader of this message is not the intended> recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution> or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly> prohibited.> > If you have received this message in error, please contact> the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the> original message (including attachments).________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New Builder