Pietenpol-List: tail hinges

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kirk Huizenga
"Richard DeCosta" This may or may not have been a good idea, and either way it's too late, butI'd love to hear what you guys think of my little tail hinge trick.Referring to this image:http://aircamper.org/tail.gifI cut the tail main beam, the "T" edges, the length of the hinge, theninserted two 5-ply pieces of plywood on either side, replacing the cut outpart, and then some, & T-88'ed in place. Then, I screwed the hinge in, asopposed to carving (chopping, sanding, chiseling?) out where the hinge goes.Keeping in mind it's too late to go back now :) is it good, bad, ugly? Imalso wondering if the corner pieces (not glues in yet) are really neededhere.Richard________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:43:38 -0500
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Henderson/Pavliga design

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Conoly"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Henderson/Pavliga designIn a message dated 10/28/00 6:45:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, kirkh@unique-software.com writes:>Kirk,I think I still have some drawings for hubs in back issues of the Newsletter. I made mine as follows: the hubs are made from 1 3/4 ID .090 wall 4130 tubing 6 inches long, then used 2 giant washers as flanges welded on inset 1/4" each end, drilled the spoke holes from a homemade drill template, had them laced (.160" dia spokes)up with a cross three pattern (one spoke crosses three) onto 18" aluminum alloy rims from our local motorcycle salvage shop (these rims have 36 holes, some have 40), then installed a 3.00 by 18 street tire and tube, finally installed commercial, flanged bronze oilite bushings (two per wheel). These wheels cost $100 each total. I have 80 hours on the ship now and they are holding up very well. The aircraft is an 1933 version improved aircamper (split gear). I think 21 wheels work best for 1932 straight gear aircraft. I have lots of photos of these wheels. Maybe this will help. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: tail hinges

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Richard DeCosta"
Richard:That looks aok to me. I'm not familiar with the hinges you referenced butit looks like you've basically just beefed up the area where the hinges areattached. My humble opinion, Should work great.Later,Bert----- Original Message -----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: tail hinges

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: tail hingesOn the Pietenpol plans a note tells that "cast aluminum hinges are now used as standard equipment" -- instead of fabricating out of steel. Does someone in the Piet group have these or are they obtainable from a supplier?I'd appreciate help with finding these.Thanks Henry Williams -- finishing up tail section--________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:49:36 -0500
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: tail hinges

Post by matronics »

matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: tail hinges

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bert Conoly"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: tail hingesMike C, thanks for the info on the Al hinges-- Henry W________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65 Exhaust

Post by matronics »

----- Original Message -----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: tail hinges

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Borodent(at)aol.com [SMTP:Borodent(at)aol.com]
Hi Henry,I understand the Vi Kapler still sells the cast aluminum hunges. I intended tobuy a set when I was at Brodhead this summer, but while there I talked with agentleman about the hinges and he cautioned against using aluminum. He saidhe had used them on his plane and they continually streaked his tail with blackstain from corrosion. I guess the steel clevis pin and the aluminum hinge don'tget along too well when they get wet (galvanic corrosion). On his recommendationI used AN42 eyebolts instead, and they seem to work fine. One thingI should mention with the AN42's - they need to be pinned after installation sothey don't twist and cause a control surface jam in flight. I think Tony Bingelismentioned this in one of his books.Good Luck, Jack Phillips Pietenpol Air Camper NX899JP Wings finished, Tail finished, Fuselage coming out of the jig this weekend> -----Original Message-----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: A-65 Exhaust

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Morton L. Caplan [SMTP:mocap(at)azstarnet.com]
Hi Mort,The Continental A-65 is an air-cooled four cylinder opposed aircraft engine of171 cubic inches, putting out 65 horsepower, and weighing about 170 lbs. It wasdesigned in 1936 (so it is not much newer than the Ford Model A, but is muchmore reliable). It was standard equipment on many planes built in the late30's and all through the 40's, including J-3 Cubs, Aeronca Champs, Taylorcrafts,Luscombes, etc. They built thousands (maybe millions) of them during the war,and you can still pick them up for reasonable prices. I paid $1500 for theone I'm putting in my Pietenpol, and could fly it as is, but I'm going to goahead and totally rebuild it.It was really a pretty advanced engine for 1936. It has self adjusting "zero lash"hydraulic valve lifters, and is laid out pretty much the same as all modernaero engines. I don't know if that says it was ahead of its time, or thatthere has been little advancement in aircraft engines since the 1930's (probablythe latter).It's a good engine for the Pietenpol since it puts out nearly 50% more power thanthe Ford and weighs about 70 lbs. less.> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Michael? Who me? Only my mother calls me Michael... This must mean I'm in trouble.Sorry. I can't rely on the "twang", I'm tone deaf. Can't carry a tune in a bucket...Evenly Gutensnug? Does that work?Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: tail hinges
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
I was reminded this morning.lest there be any doubt!!https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... _o.jpgGary BootheNX308MB________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: tail hinges
matronics

Post by matronics »

There are many many talented people on this list. Some we know about and some we don't.Here are just a couple:http://www.douwestudios.com/large_video ... AqlkQnYDan HelsperPuryear, TN________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: tail hinges
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
Jon asked->I guess you cast the hinge pieces...what kind of setup do you use>as far as type of foundry, do you use sand or some other type mold, etc?Rather than continue this in the 'slow Piet list' thread, I put this into a newsubject line. Jon, I'm supposed to be making and selling sets of tail hingesbut I now have a waiting list of over a dozen builders, most of whom have probablygiven up on me and gone a different route with their hinges, but 2015 hasoverwhelmed me with work and I figure the good times can't last forever, I'mturning 65 in July, and I'd better work while the work is available. So, I'vehad no summers off, no vacations, very little weekend or holiday time, justwork. Not complaining, but it's keeping me from building, flying, and makingtail hinges. As soon as I get a free weekend I'll dig out the mess and try toturn out a few sets of hinges and start working on the backlog.To answer your question, the rough castings are sand cast by a foundry here in the good ol' US of A, the same supplier that Vi Kapler used to make the same hinges that I am supposed to be making and selling. Vi sold me his simple tools and jigs shortly before he died, so I make them the same way he did. The parts are pretty simple and durable, and I load-tested the latest batch of castings to prove to myself that they were as good as the ones that Vi had been selling. Here's a little webpage showing the test methodology and results: http://www.flysquirrel.net/loadtest.html . The test bench and work area in the pictures on that webpage are presently under a tangle of twisted tubing, ripped canopy material, snow, dirt, and who knows what else. You can also see the nearly-complete hinge parts at the bottom of this page: http://www.flysquirrel.net/rogueairpart ... -----Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: tail hinges

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
Oscar,Do you still have some of the name plates? I would like two of each. My SkyScoutis in the final stages of assembly. Registration is in progress, then Airworthiness.Engine goes on this week.Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Dec 30, 2015, at 7:50 PM, taildrags wrote:> > > Jon asked-> >> I guess you cast the hinge pieces...what kind of setup do you use>> as far as type of foundry, do you use sand or some other type mold, etc?> > Rather than continue this in the 'slow Piet list' thread, I put this into a newsubject line. Jon, I'm supposed to be making and selling sets of tail hingesbut I now have a waiting list of over a dozen builders, most of whom have probablygiven up on me and gone a different route with their hinges, but 2015has overwhelmed me with work and I figure the good times can't last forever, I'mturning 65 in July, and I'd better work while the work is available. So, I'vehad no summers off, no vacations, very little weekend or holiday time, justwork. Not complaining, but it's keeping me from building, flying, and makingtail hinges. As soon as I get a free weekend I'll dig out the mess and tryto turn out a few sets of hinges and start working on the backlog.> > To answer your question, the rough castings are sand cast by a foundry here in the good ol' US of A, the same supplier that Vi Kapler used to make the same hinges that I am supposed to be making and selling. Vi sold me his simple tools and jigs shortly before he died, so I make them the same way he did. The parts are pretty simple and durable, and I load-tested the latest batch of castings to prove to myself that they were as good as the ones that Vi had been selling. Here's a little webpage showing the test methodology and results: http://www.flysquirrel.net/loadtest.html . The test bench and work area in the pictures on that webpage are presently under a tangle of twisted tubing, ripped canopy material, snow, dirt, and who knows what else. You can also see the nearly-complete hinge parts at the bottom of this page: http://www.flysquirrel.net/rogueairparts.html> > --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 541#451541> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Yeah, but my 48" center section IS my waist size!!!Mike Sent from my iPhone> On Apr 24, 2016, at 1:32 PM, Clif Dawson wrote:> > > Hi Mike,> I kept my cabanes vertical.Oscar has articulated a number of> good reasons to do so. Since the majority of lift tension is> through the outer strut system there's not a lot of weight> being carried by the cabanes. So the center section spars> are strong enough to handle having 12" outboard of the> cabane connection.> > If you look at my tank you'll see that it's humped like the> Dehaviland Moth series. It holds 22 gallons, almost all of> it usable. I have an O-290. My center is 36" wide. No! not> mine! The plane's. :-)> > Clif> >> Good morning Mr. Dawson,> I am planning on building my center section 48" wide to be able to have greaterfuel capacity in one location to feed my 0-200. My question is, should thecabane struts remain perpendicular to the wing or should they be splayed outto attach at the joint of the center section and spar? >>> Thanks, Mike.>> >> Flop, 36" wide, to becovered in lexan.>> >> Clif> > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: tail hinges
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Update on the Vi Kapler style tail hinges. I have Bill Budgell's set just aboutready to send out, with John Hofmann's and Clay Hammond's sets roughed out onthe bench to go next. I had to overhaul a few of my shop tools to get themback in shape to make parts, but I should be able to start cranking them out again.It was a cold, windy, and off/on rainy day today but I had no other "honeydo" tasks and my outdoor canopy is snug again so I got a set done. Only tookabout 4 hours, but I spent at least an hour cleaning up tools and settingup to work. The next set will go quicker. And if I had a shop partner, theywould go MUCH quicker, but that's just another excuse.I really apologize for the long delay, no excuse except "life got in the way".I will advise purchasers when I'm about to mail out their hinges.Thank you.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Oscar,I need one pair of hinges. Broken hinge on rudder. Could we talk about it first?Could you give me a phone number or an email so as to communicate off line?Thanks,JackN144JFModel ASpoked wheelsSent from my iPhone> On Apr 24, 2016, at 11:15 PM, taildrags wrote:> > > Update on the Vi Kapler style tail hinges. I have Bill Budgell's set just aboutready to send out, with John Hofmann's and Clay Hammond's sets roughed outon the bench to go next. I had to overhaul a few of my shop tools to get themback in shape to make parts, but I should be able to start cranking them outagain. It was a cold, windy, and off/on rainy day today but I had no other "honeydo" tasks and my outdoor canopy is snug again so I got a set done. Onlytook about 4 hours, but I spent at least an hour cleaning up tools and settingup to work. The next set will go quicker. And if I had a shop partner, theywould go MUCH quicker, but that's just another excuse.> > I really apologize for the long delay, no excuse except "life got in the way".I will advise purchasers when I'm about to mail out their hinges.> > Thank you.> > --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 421#455421> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: tail hinges
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Pietenpol Plans

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Keown
Jack;Email me at taildrags(at)hotmail.com or call/text me on my cellphone, (210) 621-4729.Getting out a single pair of hinges is easy.-Oscar--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 19:47:12 -0700Subject: Pietenpol-List: Pietenpol Plans
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol Plans

Post by matronics »

In situations like this where I have two choice from two vendors for the same productat different prices, here is what I like to do.Instead of asking people with no real skin in the game, I would pose that samequestion to the two vendors. Let them explain why they are the better choice thengo with your gut as to which one has the better reason. You should let themsell themselves, not just take the opinions of unknown people on a forum.Just my $.02.--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol Plans
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Jim;As you can imagine, something like the Air Camper, which has now spanned a periodof time from tube-type radios to the iPhone and beyond, has followed a verycircuitous history in its development. This is also the case for the plans forbuilding the airplane. One of the best and most concise summaries of how theplans developed into what they are today is contained in the 16-page articlethat Doc Mosher wrote in July of 2015, and which is included in an informationpacket that he offers. What Doc points out, and I quote from his work, "BernardPietenpol never did draw any plans. He simply built terrific airplanes'because I seemed to know how.' Orrin Hoopman simply drew what Bernard had alreadybuilt - a sort of reverse engineering because he was there. Hoopman's planswere never copyright [sic] and were free use available from a small numberof individuals who sold them, often simultaneously."I bought my Piet plans from the Pietenpol family about 15 years ago because I feltlike getting them from the family added to the value of what I would own,and indeed it did mean something to me as compared with buying them on Amazon.com.Besides the plans themselves, I also bought an informational manual fromthe family that includes a number of helpful hints and tips about building andoperating the airplane, and a sort of FAQ which was also helpful in ruling outthings that have been tried or thought about but which have not worked or arenot recommended, and why. At the time when I bought my set of plans, the onlyother Air Camper plans that were available were in the 1932 Flying & GliderManual, which I also own, and which is a treasure in itself but is far harderto build from due to the smaller size of the drawings and the lack of lateradditions and enhancements to the F&GM plans. Get the F&GM, but not to buildfrom. Very affordable, and available from the EAA for a very modest amount. If for nothing else, they serve very well to take with you as reading and studymaterial when you travel, which is much handier than trying to carry rolls ofplans but which is still plenty detailed and readable for you to study, think,and learn from. I also own Chet Peek's book "The Pietenpol Story", but it'snot really a builder's resource.You will get the same drawings from Doc as you will from the family, but you willget different supporting materials. It's your choice but personally, I ownthem all and they all have useful and interesting material in them. Doc is adeep and wide resource, he is available by email and on this list, and he isan ardent supporter of Pietenpols and Pietenpeople.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol Plans
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Well Said Oscar,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol Plans
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
Some more food for thought...There are TONS of quick build Piet kits out there, otherwise known as abandonedprojects. Most come with plans. There are also a lot of super quick build kits, otherwise known as damaged or derelictplanes that don't even need plans.Nearly all are in the hands of someone who would rather see them go to a good homerather than scrapped.Worst case, wrong gear, fuse and you are worried about the wing... Build new fuseand new ribs. Still easier than scratch building, you get builders certificateif you want. Best case, restore an airplane, feel good about its airworthiness, and have anairplane you can sell with someone else's name on the AW cert. May or may not be what ya want, but worth considering. ToolsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________