Pietenpol-List: OT Riding mower

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: OT Riding mower

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "JERRY"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: OT Riding mowerOT I am going to need a riding mower for my new airport home. I will have 2acres, mostly flat with some trees. One ditch fairly shallow.I can't afford to spend a lot of cash. I am interested in the SearsCraftsman riding mowers that have a tight turn radius (5.5 inches)Any thoughts?Only Pietenpol content is this mower will also mow the taxiway.-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: OT Riding mower

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "bradandlinda(at)tds.net"
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________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 17:43:05 -0500 (EST)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: OT Riding mower

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Chuck: the reason I didn't want to mess with moving or fabricating new rear L-bracketsfor the aft edge of the vertical stabilizer was "laziness" ;o) Yes, Icould do that and accommodate another 1.4 degrees of twist without worrying aboutthe wood spar. I know you think that slight angle of rotation sounds insignificant,but when you push the leading edge of the VS over and watch the rearspar stay fixed as everything else tightens up, you start thinking about theglue joints and everything else, and I didn't like the feeling as I pushed itover past the 1/2" that I gave it.By the way, the builder of my Piet, Corky Corbett, will also be 93 this year (Ibelieve)- but he completed and flew NX41CC as a much younger man than you...he was only 80 ;o)--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT Riding mower
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Steve: since we're off-topic here, I can guarantee you that you will be almostas proud of a refurbished yard machine as you will of an airplane. I have rescued"this thing's broken and no good anymore" lawn equipment, appliances, electronics,engines, and all sorts of other things and have greatly enjoyed dismantlingthem, cleaning, repairing, refurbishing, and getting them operationalagain. A co-worker had a relatively new lawn mower that wouldn't start. Hmmm...crankcase was full of a gas-oil mixture. Now, how did that happen? At firstI blamed him, thinking that he poured the gasoline right into the oil filler,but that wasn't it. I figured it out ;o) He was ready to take the machineto the dump, now it starts and runs like a top and I'm very pleased at the overallappearance and operation after a weekend of tinkering, cleaning, and gettingit fixed again. Sure, it's a $150 machine brand-new and I spent probablyfour times that amount of my time on it, but it was enjoyable and rewarding.I'm with the others who made similar recommendations... find yourself a restorablemower and have some fun getting it running again.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT Riding mower

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT Riding mowerAh Oscar, too many projects. Moving into a new home and hangar. Beechannual that is owner hindered. Selling a travel trailer.finishing apietenpol restoration. Renting the old hangarPreparing the new hangar to hold our old airstream and the v-tail and thepiet. Oh yeah teaching the teen to drive. And in my free time I am workingon my commercial and CFI ratings.I think I just need a good RUNNING mower.Blue skies,Steve DOn Jan 21, 2017 10:02 PM, "taildrags" wrote:>> Steve: since we're off-topic here, I can guarantee you that you will be> almost as proud of a refurbished yard machine as you will of an airplane.> I have rescued "this thing's broken and no good anymore" lawn equipment,> appliances, electronics, engines, and all sorts of other things and have> greatly enjoyed dismantling them, cleaning, repairing, refurbishing, and> getting them operational again. A co-worker had a relatively new lawn> mower that wouldn't start. Hmmm... crankcase was full of a gas-oil> mixture. Now, how did that happen? At first I blamed him, thinking that> he poured the gasoline right into the oil filler, but that wasn't it. I> figured it out ;o) He was ready to take the machine to the dump, now it> starts and runs like a top and I'm very pleased at the overall appearance> and operation after a weekend of tinkering, cleaning, and getting it fixed> again. Sure, it's a $150 machine brand-new and I spent probably four times> that amount of my time on it, but it wa!> s enjoyable and rewarding.>> I'm with the others who made similar recommendations... find yourself a> restorable mower and have some fun getting it running again.>> --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power, 72x36 Culver prop>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Hi all, Chris it seems we need a password for the site, correct?Jack Textor2400 SE Walnut Woods CtWest Des Moines, IA 50265515-490-5177________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT Riding mower
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
Steve: I found the perfect, low-cost option for your mowing needs. Here you go!--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/mowe ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: taildrags
I am glad you posted this. In Lincoln, MO., someone there built a large triangle out of 2 X 2 X 1/8 angle. and had mounted one mower at the apex, two mowers behind and the width of the first mowers cut apart for the second row and at the back of the triangle mounted three mowers, the width of the other mowers apart. It would cut about half the runway when pulled with a truck or anything with a hitch. They were all old salvaged mowers that were either discarded or bought used cheap and could be replaced individually if one should quit running.Dennis-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT Riding mowerThat will be training for a multi engine aircraft, like a B17!On Jan 29, 2017 4:25 PM, "taildrags" wrote:>> Steve: I found the perfect, low-cost option for your mowing needs. Here> you go!>> --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power, 72x36 Culver prop>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 538#465538>>> Attachments:>> http://forums.matronics.com//files/mowe ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: OT Riding mower OT I am going to need a riding mower for my new airport home. I will have 2 acres, mostly flat with some trees. One ditch fairly shallow. I can't afford to spend a lot of cash. I am interested in the Sears Craftsman riding mowers that have a tight turn radius (5.5 inches) Any thoughts? Only Pietenpol content is this mower will also mow the taxiway. -- Blue Skies, Steve D This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the original message (including attachments). ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: OT Riding mower