building confidence

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
aviken

building confidence

Post by aviken »

I decided to type a little update on the Jeepenpol, (Jeep powered Pietenpol) for those not knowing.
I recently flew to my nearest airport, a 20 mile flight to fuel up and start a fuel burn test. I have now flown 1 hour
since that flight so I can top off the tank and see how much fuel I burned. I haven't bought a jug of avgas yet to top it off
so that has to be done first. The last 45 minute flight was just meandering around to no particular place and was
perfect weather, Cool, overcast , so very smooth. I watched the tach flip over to 12 hours so I am nibbling away at the
40 hour restriction. My water temp is still running at 205 but my Jeep engine expert assures me that will not hurt the engine even
though that is hotter than the normal temp expected in an auto. He explaned that the jeep engine on the airplane is running at near full throttle and
under strain at all times and it will naturally run hotter than cruising down some back road. I do intend to re-install my small oil cooler on the side of the engine and plumb the new aluminum head for the front hose and see if that will lower the temp a little. There have been times when honestly I have thought about scrapping the jeep idea and just stick the old 65 continental on the nose, but then I have a nice flight like the last one and I think that maybe I will just keep refining the design and see where it leads me. It is much easier to work with a known engine and be enjoying this airplane but it is also exciting to work out the problems of something new. I am planning a flight in September to the North Little Rock airport airshow and will try it if the weather is good. I know I will be leaving my restriction by a good bit , but hope I wont be caught . That flight will add some time on the tach and I should have several more hours on before the show. Just rambling now, so builders keep working it is worth it.