Eye bolts for hinges

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PoconoJohn

Eye bolts for hinges

Post by PoconoJohn »

I'm using eye bolts for hinges. I don't want the holes (3/16") too close together, so I spaced them 1" apart (on center). The resulting space on the clevis pin adds up to 3/4".

Should I pile washers in there or is there a spacer I can use...perhaps using some tubing.

Or....should I redo this and space the bolts closer, but then how close is too close?

UPDATE: After taking another look, I think I'll make a new vertical stabilizer trailing edge. Instead of one eye bolt, I will have two, one immediately above and one immediately below the opposing pair.

Thank you,

John C
Attachments
piet99996.jpg
tom kreiner

Re: Eye bolts for hinges

Post by tom kreiner »

Hopefully you have a plan to prevent the elevators from sliding back and forth, as the positioning of the hinges in the pic aren’t set up to eliminate lateral movement.

How about showing us a few more details?
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Hi Tom,

The options are to either stack washers in there, a spacer (nylon bushing) or place opposing pairs against each other.

I'm in the process of installing bolts that will align just above and below the opposing bolts; no slop or maybe enough for one washer. Careful measuring is needed. About to head out to drill.
Earl Brown

Post by Earl Brown »

John, the GN-1 uses one eyebolt on each side
GN-1 Tail.pdf
(95.51 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thanks Earl. Hmm. My leading edge of the rudder already has two bolts at each location. I'm about to drill holes in the vertical stabilizer for the opposing pair. Hmmm. I can continue with my plan, or, modify it to follow the GN-1. Hmmm. Think think think.

Meanwhile, I didn't place a 1/8" ply at the eye bolt end (only nut end); I recessed it into the beam. My expensive eye bolts are not long enough to bring them back up out of the hole an 1/8" and then add 1/8" ply. Another expensive re-do I guess.
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

I'm back. The new system is under way. Here's what I have so far. I still need to add the 1/8" ply. On the beam where I drilled for three pairs, I'll place 3/16" dowels in and a small 7/16" dowel for the recessed area (for the three holes no longer used). The first photo is the center of the rudder and the second photo is the top. The bolts where you see the bottom flange are the new ones and they both sit within the opposing pair...so...when it's done, two eyebolts (top and bottom) will rest on the opposing eye bolts when not flying. The center eyebolts will contact if the rudder moves up. I may add a washer in spots if needed.

Thanks Earl!
Attachments
piet9993.jpg
piet9992.jpg