Pietenpol Aerial

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
DataWatch

Pietenpol Aerial

Post by DataWatch »

What are the major differences between the Air-camper and Aerial other than the fact that one is a Biplane and the other is a Monoplane? Also, why are the reasons that most people choose to build the Air-camper over the Aerial? (Is it because the Aircamper can be converted to the Aerial with an additional kit?)
taildrags

Re: Pietenpol Aerial

Post by taildrags »

Having owned a St. Croix Aerial project for a short time (just long enough to separate the beautiful set of landing gear from it), I can speak to this subject just a bit but not very much. To me, the Aerial (which is not a Pietenpol Air Camper) will appeal to builders who like the Air Camper but also like biplanes and also like building wings. Reading the specs and performance on the Aerial on Wikipedia (data attributed to AeroCrafter), the empty weight is supposed to be 700 lbs. My Air Camper, which is a fairly light example, weighs 636 lbs but only has one wing and no interplane struts. I suppose the Aerial can be built to weigh 700. The engine is listed as a Continental O-240, 125HP. Range is stated as 150 miles, flying out of a 25 gallon fuel tank at a cruise speed of 85 MPH, so quite a high fuel consumption rate. Service ceiling is listed as 1,000 feet (which may be a mistake and may be 10,000'). The Aerial was developed by Chad Wille from Iowa and the prototype that Chad and Charles Wille built was a beautiful airplane with classic lines. Theirs is listed to have been powered by a Continental O-300 of 145 HP and with an empty weight of 900 lbs and gross of 1400 with a fuel capacity of 15 gallons, which would have left a useful load of 410 lbs or a pair of 205 lb occupants if the CG could be kept in range.

Snoop around to find any St. Croix Aerials operating out in the fleet and ask yourself why there aren't many out there. I don't know of any myself, but I know of many, many Air Campers built and flying. Save yourself some weight, complexity, construction time, and trouble, and just build a Piet. Unless, that is, you like to build wings and you like biplanes.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
DataWatch

Re: Pietenpol Aerial

Post by DataWatch »

I really appreciate your response; I suppose that it does make sense why there would be fewer Aerial's than Air Campers because it more or so just boils down to simplicity's sake as well as efficency.