Franklin engine

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Gemmell

Franklin engine

Post by Gemmell »

Hi, i have just received my plans from Andrew Pietenpol.
I have the opportunity to purchase a Franklin 125HP 182 lbs four cyl banger. sports /4a. 0235
Completely overhauled 5000.00 NZ dollars.
Q. your thoughts on using this engine on the PAC. I.e weight etc.do have another option but will have to rebuild it C 0200
John Gemmell.
Auckland
New Zealand
PoconoJohn

Re: Franklin engine

Post by PoconoJohn »

The only Franklin I ever used was 165hp in my 1946 Stinson 108. It ran smooth as butter and started up like a turboprop. Will you be able to get parts for it, especially the crankshaft? Will you be able to service it or do you know someone familiar with Franklins? I know in the Stinson group it was mentioned several times you can not treat a Franklin the same as a Lycoming. You or the mechanic you use will need the service manual. It was also mentioned Franklins are meant to run hard, so I always ran it close to 2,500RPM. One of the old timers (an A&P IA) with over 30 years flying with Franklin (and Stinsons) told me to never baby it.

John C
Gemmell

Post by Gemmell »

Hi John,
Thank you for your post,it is the same advise i got from my local engine.
John,
Stroid

Post by Stroid »