fuel

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Tbopper

fuel

Post by Tbopper »

I buy my fuel in 5-gallon clear fuel cans. I noticed that the two clear cans with 100 low lead had turned a straw color and in the bottom of both containers was a layer of light orange in color substance. I have never run across this before. The fuel was bought at a local airport that has fuel. I am on a private grass stripe with no fuel. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?
Terry Hand

Re: fuel

Post by Terry Hand »

I have done a little internet "dumpster diving" and what comes up is that 100LL is extremely sensitive to UV rays. That is why most gas cans are colored. Apparently 100LL does not play well with clear or white containers. Were the cans out in the sun? Were these cans designated as usable with avgas or are they from the local store?

If you have worries about it, mow your grass with it and buy new cans for the next fill up. Don't put it in your car as the second L in LL will mess up your catalytic converter. Buying a few gallons of gas is a lot cheaper than an off field landing and/or messing up your engine.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/a ... on.343453/
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens GA
Tbopper

Post by Tbopper »

I bought the fuel from Lee's Summit Airport. It was put in clear containers. The low lead fuel in the red gas cans did not change. I put some low lead in a clear jug and left it set in the sun and it changed. The cans were not in direct sunlight but were exposed to the morning sun. $60.00 dollar lesson learned. Thanks for the reply.
Terry Hand

Post by Terry Hand »

A cheap lesson compared to what might have happened. We all learn from these postings. Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens GA
MollyLambert

Post by MollyLambert »

Thx for information!!