bench vise jaw protection

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
taildrags

bench vise jaw protection

Post by taildrags »

Hello, builders; after years of doing my bench tasks with a simple little Sears vise and beating the heck out of it, I finally stepped up a notch and got a heavier table and a larger vise that allows three degrees of freedom and also lets me handle larger items. The problem is that the faces of these larger jaws have very aggressive 'teeth' that scratch and maim smaller items that I clamp in the vise. I have seen clever slide-in jaw pads that people have made out of angle stock with leather, wood, and other materials attached to the faces to pad whatever is being held in the vise. I'd appreciate ideas and pictures of any such swappable vise jaw "inserts" or pads. Thanks.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Clay Hammond

Re: bench vise jaw protection

Post by Clay Hammond »

Was just in Lakeland last week for SnF and bought a set of these at the pop-up tool seller there at the show:

https://sastool.com/vise-jaw-pads-mpp.html

They are slick because they have magnets imbedded to hold them to the vise. Easily craftable at home DIY as well.

Visit Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
www.oldrhinebeck.org
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Clay; thanks. I had another Pietenpoler point me towards these magnetically-held vise jaw pads and it was a "why didn't I think of that" moment.

-Oscar
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

IMG_20220412_114414.jpg
Magnetic attachment. Well used, as you can see.
IMG_20220412_114407.jpg
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Egg-zactly! I've been too lazy to do this right, and have marred a number of clean shiny pieces of metal due to my laziness. Let's do this right!

-OZ