Is exterior of floor covered or painted

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PoconoJohn

Is exterior of floor covered or painted

Post by PoconoJohn »

Just wondering if the fabric wraps around the corner and ends, or if the entire bottom is covered with fabric.

I'm still working on the landing gear. Been only like six months:)

Thank you,

John C
Richard Roller

Re: Is exterior of floor covered or painted

Post by Richard Roller »

N34KP is covered over the plywood on the bottom. For what it's worth, plywood covered wings are generally covered in fabric, for abrasion purposes.
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thanks. Was wondering about the varnish to use on the belly. Out of sight areas with no fabric involved I'll probably use Helmsman Spar varnish. For sections exposed to elements (sun), visible and in contact with fabric, will use Stewart Systems EkoSeal.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Boy, now I'll have to go look at my plane because I think mine has a 'razor ridge' running down the belly, similar to the ones on the sides to hold the fabric away from the wood and turn flat panels into slightly prism-shaped ones. Stand by...

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

My airplane does have vertical strip of wood running down the underside from firewall aft, which means that the belly fabric does not touch the plywood except at the longerons. Perhaps the slight 'v' shape along the belly can be seen in this pic:
gear_small.jpg
Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

So, does that mean I have to run a board down the center of the belly? Or can the fabric just run across from the bottom longerons (I don't need the board)?

John C
Clay Hammond

Post by Clay Hammond »

It means it is up to you. I doubt the originals had a stringer down the center of the belly. And I'd say a fair percentage would have been covered the entire length. Just know that adhering the fabric to the plywood belly will pickup any undulations in the wood. And close quarters between the wood and fabric makes for problems down the road if any moisture is introduced. Having a stringer running down the center gives some space for air to flow and keep things dry, and creates opportunities for adequate drainage when there is enough moisture to create flow.

And whatever you choose to do, check your glue and covering systems for compatibility with your varnish.

Visit Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
www.oldrhinebeck.org
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

34KP does not have a stringer running down the bottom. Flat plywood, fabric covered.
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Will think about a stringer down the belly. Good point on the varnish. I'll be going with Stewart's and using their compatible products.

Thank you all!

Johnn C