which rib tape?

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
JimBob

which rib tape?

Post by JimBob »

Purchased recommended supplies from Steward Systems. Two of the items included are Reinforcing Tape and Anti-Chafe Tape.
Which tape are you using (or maybe none) to cover the ribs before attaching the fabric?
taildrags

Re: which rib tape?

Post by taildrags »

JimBob; I'm not familiar with the Stewart System, but in the Polyfiber world, anti-chafe tape is used to put over sharp corners, metal edges, and rough joints before putting the fabric on over those. Reinforcing tape has a different purpose: it's laid down over the fabric directly on top of the rib capstrip before the rib is laced so the lacing doesn't cut through the fabric. After all that is done, pinked fabric tape goes down over the reinforced lacing to cover it all up. Note that reinforcing tape is available in a couple of widths that generally correlate to capstrip widths used on wing ribs and control surfaces that get lacing.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

Thank You after posting this question I've been quizzing the "old timers" around the airport and they said the same as you.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

JimBob; they said the same as me because I'm an "old timer" too! I'm 71 years old and piloting a plane that was designed 93 years ago, sonny boy! :lol:

-Oscar
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

LOL since I’m only 69 I’d better respect my elders.
:D
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

All you OLD people! (Only 68!)